The styling tips for different figures thread~

i would recommend patterned dressess for summer, it would look cute, hide thighs and will streamline your look. if you have tummy issues (as do i) find a good pair of jeans thats not too low, and wear looses fitting tops that fall below the waist - but be carefull not to look 'pregnanat' - and throwing on a fitted jacket will really pull it together. as for boots, try wide sizes, suede or soft leather ones that are not as tight, or get them stretched.

regarding the previous comments, i do think it's good to be realistic about our figures. many people wear things that do not compliment thier body type (too tight, too short, etc). know your figure and stick to the fabrics and shapes that compliment it best and make you comfurtable. :flower:

theraindrops said:
Hello!

Now that I kind of accept my body I wonder what would be the most flattering things to wear for me.

I'm short, just 1,58m ( ca. 5'1), wear a size 8/europ. size 38/40 on the bottom and a size 6/ europ.size 38 on top.
My stomach is bigger than my breasts (75B)(yes, I do look pregnant:shock:), my arms are fat, not to mention my thighs and calves( I don't fit into a size 6 boot which is my shoesize , because my calves are too fat).

Most of the time I wear knee -lenghts skirts to hide my thighs. A lot of them emphasize my wide hips, though :blink:
Aside from exercising:doh:, what can you suggest me to wear to look better/more proportionate?

Hi, theraindrops, first just wanted to say, there is nothing at all weird about being pear-shaped, it's very very common in women of all sizes :flower: I do understand the sense of cultural disconnect you're struggling with, but I would encourage you to continue down the path of acceptance. If you then decide to make changes, you will be doing it for all the right reasons.

A couple of notes re: gender differences for the benefit of the hommes ... Women have an abdominal fat pad for protection during pregnancy. This is basically a whole body part that men do not have--because women have a whole function that men do not have. In addition, Mother Nature believes that women's survival is more important for a variety of fairly obvious reasons. This makes it significantly more difficult for us to change than men. For these reasons and more, I personally am never thrilled when men feel the need to "weigh in" on these issues :unsure: :innocent:

Now back to the point ...

For dealing with a "tummy" figure issue (and you do not look pregnant btw--I know someone who actually looks 4-5 months pregnant and isn't), one of the keys is patience in the fitting room. I also am very busty, so I have that to deal with as well (and wear a lot of knits and separates as a result). I find that it's very important to make sure my top/sweater/jacket/whatever hits in the right spot. This is the key to flattery. You want it long enough *but not too long.* I like them a bit loose, but as everyone has said, that wrap looks good on you. One trick I used with the light sweater I'm wearing today is I had my dry cleaners (they're great) block it a bit bigger, esp at the hemline. Now it looks better and is more flattering than when I got it.

Jeans are difficult to get right. Personally I don't like to show skin, and I seem to have better luck with a natural waistline (though I have found the rare flattering pair of lowslung capris). Oh, and, for comfort and fit reasons, I almost always buy jeans that have some spandex. I'm quite happy with the fit of a brand I found at my suburban Nordstrom's the other day that I'd never heard of--Jag. They really fit like they were made for me and are extremely comfortable. The leg is a bit wider than I'd like but for that fit I'm accepting it without complaint :wink:

Skirts are great--I like ones that are cut straight at least thru the hips, and then whatever can happen after that--flare, godet, A-line, straightish. Experiment, try on all kinds of things to see what works for you. If you can find a really helpful SA, they're a goldmine, for both suggestions and opinions.

Good luck :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
fashionista-ta said:
In addition, Mother Nature believes that women's survival is more important for a variety of fairly obvious reasons.

Haha! :lol:

Karma for all the great advice. You're warm, brilliant, witty and fun Ta-ta.
:flower:

honey you body is fabulous! You're beautiful! My view is I just wear things that I love and thing I look good in no matter what anyone says and it gives me confidence. Also, I find its good to find one thing you love (my personal favorite is deep v sweaters right now) and feel your body looks great in and then on days when you don't feel your best to begin with you'll have a little secret weapon.

Melisande said:
Haha! :lol:

Karma for all the great advice. You're warm, brilliant, witty and fun Ta-ta.

Thanks, Melisande ... you're a sweetie and that's very nice to hear at the end of a looong week :wink: :flower:

In this thread, we discuss and share some personal styling tips and secrets when selecting and shopping for clothes. What works and flatters the body type and what does not. Feel free to ask anything you wish to know.

I know some common body problem are short legs, large chest, tummy, pear-shaped, petite....

why not start a thread for each....
we already have some around here somewhere....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Annejudy
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->