The Etc Etc of Perfumes & Fragrances

Dior is starting to do all their fragrances in house now, therefore a lot of the classics will get reformulated.

which, in most cases means, dumbed down, watered down, cheapened, with the original ingredients being replaced by cheaper ones.

fragrances in questions:

Fahrenheit (!!!!!)
Dior Homme
Miss Dior Cherie

Miss Dior Cherie will also be renamed 'Miss Dior', with the old 'Miss Dior' being renamed 'Original'.

this d!ck move is horribly offensive and rude from LVMH cause basically what they do this way is take other perfumer's work, change it a bit and then sell it as their own, this way effectively cutting off the original perfumer.

I'm completely !!!!!! about the reformulation of Dior Homme. I remember smelling it when it just came out- first of all I was really attracted to the bottle and the perfume itself was even better (I couldn't get enough of the iris and then the warmth and comfort it made me feel as the perfume progressed-I could go on and on about DH :P) but most recently when I bought myself a bottle I realised when I got home that the stainless steel stem I had been used to seeing was now replaced with a black stem. The bottle is still beautiful, but I do miss the silver.

I was a little fearful that with the slight change of appearance it would mean that the formula would also have changed and in a way, yes, it did change. Ever so slightly. To someone who hadn't smelt the 'old' Dior Homme they wouldn't know due to lack of comparison, but for me who has (and quite constantly because I love it so much) the iris seemed to be a little less strong. It's still there, but it's less intense; to me the bloom of the iris in the beginning was what made the perfume so wonderfully attractive.

I did read somewhere that people had contacted the relevant Dior department asking whether the formula had been reformulated but apparently it hasn't. But of course they're going to say that, right?

The amount of time and dedication put in into making the perfect perfume is unbelievable and to think that that credit is taken away from the perfumer just because the bigger, more influential players in the business decide they want to run it now is so unfair :(

personally i was really attracted to the sweet notes in it (apparently chocolate) cause i like gourmand fragrances, but managed to stay away cause one of my best friends started using it and we, as a clique, don't share fragrances :lol: and now, reportedly, that chocolate note has been either toned down or cut out completely to make it smell more 'masculine'. ugh.

and i expected the iris to get toned down. Iris butter is one of the most expensive ingredients in the perfumery world, of course Monsieur Arnault would put that on the chopping block.

i'm so mad in so many ways at LVMH, it ain't even funny anymore. at least Guerlain will retain its autonomy. but i'm unsure still about how Thierry Wasser at Guerlain will work out.

to anyone who doesn't know, Guerlain was bought by LVMH 90s. Guerlain was always headed by members of the Guerlain family but since the current generation declined to creatively head Guerlain, they had to bring in someone new, namely Thierry Wasser, who, honestly, doesn't do too badly.

last year tho, the last creative head from the Guerlain family, Jean Paul Guerlain was forced to leave his position early because he used the n-word (derogative for black people) on national television causing a sh!tstorm.

now Thierry is heading the house.

On the dior perfume reformulations...I would guess that might have been prompted at least a little by the change in legislation on some core fragrance ingredients. For that at least, the changes will be related to how big a part those ingredients played in the original formulations and how easy they are to mimic.

I thought all 3 mentioned were originally created by big fragrance/flavour houses (3 different ones) so will never have been created by a single perfumer alone - and Dior has a reputation for having been hands-on in the creation process too - (although the team leader from the fragrance house generally has his/her name attached to it)...in any case, I would imagine that those 3 houses have been enjoing healthy margins on the sales of these ingredients since they were launched. The contracts will have been set to protect the creating company against exploitation. On the ego of the noses/tongues of the fragrance/flavour industry being bashed ever...well...I think they are mostly more than strong enough to handle it :innocent:

However, as a victim of LMVH's bizarre fragrances strategy myself, I would say if you love the original, buy 10 boxes now before it's too late :lol: My favourite fragrance of all time is Fendi by Fendi (original) which was barbarically discontinued a few years ago. It's really difficult to get hold of now and 3-4 times as expensive as it used to be. I keep trying to give it up...no luck so far :( and in any case my second favourite fragrance was Fendi Asja which they also slaughtered :shock:

Si Lolita de Lolita Lempicka

Cosmopolitan France June 2011 ebook30

I tested Prada's Candy the other day, and I really liked it - especially the drydown - it turns into a really nice subtle skinscent.

I had dreaded, based on the name alone, that it would have been a cloyingly sickly sweet concoction along the lines of Thierry Muglers Angel - but luckily no, that was not the case, and this one is going on my wishlist.

Has anyone had the chance to test Marc Jacob's "Eau So Fresh"? My sister sprayed some onto a tester for me and I thought it smelt rather nice :smile: I know the perfume smells different on skin so I might go and have a try some time; just like to know some thoughts on it.

Just scored two 100 ml bottles of Giorgio Armani Mania...the old version! It is SO hard to track down, it was discontinued in 2004, it's my fave perfume of all times. Oh the incense-vanilla-musky drydown. And the nutmeg and the amber....drool.

Has anyone had the chance to test Marc Jacob's "Eau So Fresh"? My sister sprayed some onto a tester for me and I thought it smelt rather nice :smile: I know the perfume smells different on skin so I might go and have a try some time; just like to know some thoughts on it.

I bought it about a month ago after trying it on a department store. When I first tried it, I had really low expectations mostly because the original Daisy was so lovely and it wouldn't be a worthwhile perfume if the two smelt similar. The smell is absolutely beautiful but it's very fresh and very 'young smelling.' I lusted after it for quite a while before buying, haha! It's really lovely but can smell different on a variety of skin acidity types.

Has anyone tried either Lanvin Jeanne La Rose or Balmain Ambre Gris? Would love to hear any reviews or thoughts.

Suggestions for a new fragrance

I'm looking to update my perfume collection. I want to transition out of the sugary sweet, VS body spray phase I was in from my early 20's and look for something more mature and custom to my personality.

I'm 25, so I still want something youthful, but with an edge. I also consider myself feminine. So a youthful, edgy and feminine fragrance. Floral and oriental scents usually works best with my chemistry. What would any of you suggest??

don't shoot me down just yet, but try Hilary Duff's With Love (in the see through bottle, not the pink one). it's a young, light oriental.

Guerlain's Eau de Shalimar (see through bottle with blue sticker) is also very nice, mix of zesty citrus and gorgeous vanilla.

Dior Addict is also a gorgeous vanilla, but since you're just getting into stronger frags, you might wanna try the Eau Fraiche.

LADIES! I need a new perfume- after traveling mine is Mia- I have worn Stella for years and I'm looking for something with a similar unique/alluring smell. Any suggestions? xx

^My best suggestion would be to go to Sephora (or a cosmetics counter) and sniff around because everyone's nose is different. Like for example, you know how everyone say's Chanel No 5 is brilliant... I can't stand the smell! However that said two fragrances that I would look into are Burberry Brit Shear Eau de Toilette (I know Sephora has a roller sized version) and Chloe Chloe. The Chloe perfume has some similar notes to Stella- peony's and amber- and it's one of those scents that start off a little florally but then it get's a deeper scent. I hope that helps!

LADIES! I need a new perfume- after traveling mine is Mia- I have worn Stella for years and I'm looking for something with a similar unique/alluring smell. Any suggestions? xx

Hi JadorePeace, why not the Annick Goutal range? Or Moschinno also nice.....

My favourite fragrance of all time is Fendi by Fendi (original) which was barbarically discontinued a few years ago. It's really difficult to get hold of now and 3-4 times as expensive as it used to be. I keep trying to give it up...no luck so far :(

I feel your pain, lucky me then, I could still find them at Marshall's out of all the places...now its impossible. Fendi was epic and I can still remember the scent + memories. :(
Posted via Mobile Device

Does anyone have a suggestion for a perfume that smells like a baby powder? Also i am looking for a perfume that smells like a lily for my sister, any suggestion?

TAI :flower:

Don't know about the baby powder, but Serge Lutens Un Lys is a beautiful lily fragrance. :flower:

If baby powder is what you want, Tom Ford's Musk Pure from his Private Blend collection is it, but better. It's kind of pricey though for what it ends up smelling like.

Thanks a lot, Tangerine and Spike413. I will go to dept. store and try them on. Hopefully, i will get one for myself and my sister's birthday. :smile:

Is Musk Pure made for male? It sounds like got a strong smell, isn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->