The First "SuperModel"?

I'd say Twiggy probably was the first to fit the definition, but also agree that the supermodel term, as it is known today, was a creation of Gianni Versace.

Every1 knows who Twiggy is, who the f*ck is janice dickenson?
Twiggy hands down man!

"Supermodel"

Who do you consider a SUPERMODEL? not just a model, I'd have to go with a lot of the 90s models, like Christy Turlington, Kate Moss, Cindy Crawford, etc..can't think of too many currently modeling though

I was about to post the same topic... strange, huh?
To the normal, every-day American, Heidi, Gisele, and Tyra are supermodels now- at this point, only commericial/swimsuite girls are super. However, with TeenVouge and Vouge US enamoured with her, Gemma could change that. :D

today i read an old article from elle which said the first supermodel was denise boulet:blink:......

Wow this is old. Anyway, I think Janice's point is that she advocated for models to be paid more and not to be treated like ****. I probably need to read up more to find out if there was someone else before her who did the exact same thing in the industry.

It's my understanding that the term supermodel was actually dreamt up in the 1940’s by a journalist to describe the top models of the day. I'll give Janice credit for popularizing the term.

1. Lisa Fonssagrives - she had a career that flourished when she was well past forty, which was quite unusual for the time, and (is rumored) to have the highest number of Vogue covers
2. Dorian Leigh
3. Suzy Parker - the first model to earn more than $100
4. Wilhelmina Cooper
5. Jean Shrimpton
6. Twiggy
7. Lauren Hutton - the first model to sign an exclusive cosmetics contract

Last edited by a moderator:
Jean Shrimpton

I thought the first supermodel was Jean Shrimpton, and I was told this in college as well...(fashion college:(huh:

Does anyone have HQ pics of her BTW, couldnt find any... :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turnipcookie
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->