What Makes a Supermodel?

I dont think Doutzen, Miranda or Candice can become supermodels. They lack that larger than life personality that will get them that HP or Pepsi star creating ad. Girls like Karolina and Gisele have larger than life personalities that have helped them not to only be in some of the best high fashion and commercial ads but also get careers in Holywood and on the small screen. The likes of Daria, Natalia or Liya may be high fashion superstars but unfortunately no outsiders know them even those with a slight knowledge of fashion.
I still believe that Karlie and Kate are on the verge of being supermodels simply because high fashion and the general public/commercial love them equally plus they also have large personalities which remain in peoples minds which made the supermodels such major stars. We need to learn to differentiate between high fashion superstars and supermodels

https://www.google.com/search?q=kar...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...US:official&sclient=psy-ab&q=kate+upton&btnG=

Anyone remember the "scandal" of Karolina with her non-belly button? :lol:

Joan need a fragance contract ^_^

We are forgetting Carmen Kass, she is a supermodel with all the letters.

I hardly think Karlie is known for her controversies. The VS debacle had nothing to do with Karlie. She wore an outfit that they asked of her which she is hired to do. It's not like she was wearing an offensive outfit in her spare time. As for who she dates, I'm sorry but almost every supermodel out there has had stories about their love lives in the press. Karolina may be an exception but just look at Gisele, Kate, Naomi, Christy etc. And Joan is no Karolina. KK is a superstar where the majority of her work is OG and she is on the exclusive list of models who has appeared on the cover of the 4 big Vogues. Has Joan even had an OG campaign yet? And since you brought up KK, she also has a large personality and is very interactive with the media which helped raise her profile. Karlie is similar hence why there are so many interviews and news articles about her. Whether or not they are all positive is irrelevant as the point is, people are talking about her which is the making of a supermodel. Very few models are loved by everyone. Naomi is one of the biggest supermodels in the world but she isn't that popular due to her "controversies" as you like to call it.

My post was by no means supposed to be about bashing Karlie. I wasn't even talking about that outfit she wore at the VSFS. I was actually talking about the controversy surrounding her being signed as an angel. I also wasn't trying to compare Karolina & Joan's careers. I was only saying that you can make it as a supermodel without having that many scandals. And yes, Joan has had OG campaigns for Fendi, Prabal Gurung & Mercedes Benz.

there is also a big difference between Karolina and Giselle,Kate etc.

models who don't really have that much publicity but still major Karolina,Daria W. ,Malgosia, Karen.

and the models who have had scandals Kate,Naomi. or dated famous People Giselle and they are all Supers. of course they all have an Amazing career in HF and Commercial just like Karlie.

so I don't see what is the issue with this?

Karolina gets plenty of publicity, & only the good kind. I don't think she can be compared to Daria or Malgosia, who have no fame whatsoever.

And there is no issue with bad press. Most press is good press, but you can't deny that Karlie has an overwhelming amount of haters. Most supermodels have just as many haters as they do fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kate Upton I don't like her but she is bigger than Karlie and Joan. She got famous by showing her breast then booking SI. It would be easy to be a supermodel now days. I wouldn't say she is HF yet either she hasn't had any big campaigns in HF yet. She is very known with men and her name is known. I don't see that with Joan or Karlie. Joan and Karlie are bigger HF for sure. People say Kate Upton and t*ts comes to mind nothing else. :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

I really think Kate is just a fad that will pass in a year or two. She clearly isn't a supermodel. She can't book even one good campaign, whether it be commercial or HF. Nah, she's just a model with big boobs, currently being used for shock value....

My post was by no means supposed to be about bashing Karlie. I wasn't even talking about that outfit she wore at the VSFS. I was actually talking about the controversy surrounding her being signed as an angel. I also wasn't trying to compare Karolina & Joan's careers. I was only saying that you can make it as a supermodel without having that many scandals. And yes, Joan has had OG campaigns for Fendi, Prabal Gurung & Mercedes Benz.

There is no controversy surrounding her being signed as an angel. Can you post links to actual articles that discuss this supposed controversy please? As when I Google Karlie Kloss and Victoria's Secret, all I get is news articles discussing the confirmation of her being an angel or discussing her first official outing as an angel. A controversy is Kate Moss' drug scandal or Naomi's maid attacks, not some negative remarks by Karlie haters online.

And yes you can make it as a supermodel without many scandals but Karolina was a VS angel which blows up a models profile in ways that very few brands can. She was an angel in their heyday where there were only around 6 angels and all of them would be used for launches to much fanfare. She had opening and closing slots in each VS show and was heavily promoted by them. She also has a huge personality which helped her. Not to mention the fact that she had guest roles on Chuck and Person of Interest to name a couple of shows as well as a role in G.I Joe for which she did major promo for. Her dating life may not have been discussed much but professionally she was certainly working for it. An EL contract is great for Joan but they really don't lift a model to stardom the way VS do. Joan isn't even the main face, I just see Constance everywhere. Also, do EL have TV spots? Karlie is featured in the VS ones but I have yet to see any by EL.

There is no controversy surrounding her being signed as an angel. Can you post links to actual articles that discuss this supposed controversy please? As when I Google Karlie Kloss and Victoria's Secret, all I get is news articles discussing the confirmation of her being an angel or discussing her first official outing as an angel. A controversy is Kate Moss' drug scandal or Naomi's maid attacks, not some negative remarks by Karlie haters online.

And yes you can make it as a supermodel without many scandals but Karolina was a VS angel which blows up a models profile in ways that very few brands can. She was an angel in their heyday where there were only around 6 angels and all of them would be used for launches to much fanfare. She had opening and closing slots in each VS show and was heavily promoted by them. She also has a huge personality which helped her. Not to mention the fact that she had guest roles on Chuck and Person of Interest to name a couple of shows as well as a role in G.I Joe for which she did major promo for. Her dating life may not have been discussed much but professionally she was certainly working for it. An EL contract is great for Joan but they really don't lift a model to stardom the way VS do. Joan isn't even the main face, I just see Constance everywhere. Also, do EL have TV spots? Karlie is featured in the VS ones but I have yet to see any by EL.

I don't understand why you're getting so defensive about Karlie, when all I said was that her signing with VS was controversial. There are thousands of comments on TFS, youtube & various other forums from people who don't agree with her being an angel. When people talk negatively about something, that is considered a controversy, & this isn't just one or two people talking. When watching the VSFS on youtube, almost half the comments are about Karlie, most of them being negative.

And I already told you before that I wasn't trying to compare Joan & Karolina's careers, but apparently you didn't read that part. I think Joan can make it as a supermodel without being signed to VS. Rumors are swirling that House of Style is actually going to be on TV for it's second season, so anything can happen from there. Joan's EL commercial was on TV for over a year, even during American Idol's allotted time slot, so her face is more recognizable than other top models like Karmen or Saskia. She's pretty much the only black girl consistently working these days, so of course she's going to have have a strong & hispanic following. The Sun, Huffington Post, NY Mag, Fashionbombdaily & Perez Hilton have written several articles about her, so she is being talked about. Her star is rising, maybe not as fast as Karlie's, but she's doing a great job for a girl without a VS contract. It's rare to see a girl who works in HF & is allowed to have a voice. Coco Rocha's career in HF died when she started talking, yet Joan is doing House of Style & fronting the Versace campaign at the same time. I don't see why you guys can't open your minds to the idea of her becoming a supermodel. That's the direction her career is pointing in, just like Karlie's.

I'm not getting defensive, I'm just saying that comments on YouTube, TFS and other forums is not a controversy. If you think that it is, then fine but a real controversy is something bigger than that and is picked up by the mainstream press. Like Arizona's current scandal with her ex is a controversy. Many people that comment on YouTube are jealous of models and so post negatively about them. I can find negative comments about almost any model. Lily A and Cara D for example have many haters but I'd hardly consider that controversial.

I know you weren't trying to compare Karolina and Joan but you brought up KK again and I simply stated why she was able to blow up despite her love life not being discussed.

As for this whole Joan v Karlie debate, my first post in this thread was to say they both had the potential to be supermodels but Joan seems to like the quiet life. This was not a negative thing but you quoted me and started listed all of the reasons why she could be a supermodel. Now I'm not saying she doesn't want to be one, but playing the media game is what you need to do in order to become big. Daria W had everything going for her in the height of her popularity but she chose to lay low and take a break and enjoy her private life. That's not a bad thing. Some people just do not want the fame and the hassle that comes with it. Not everyone wants to be followed around and have their pictures taken. That's the impression I get with Joan. I could be wrong. I see her as more of a Raquel, Daria, Angela, Liya type who are icons in the industry as opposed to a Naomi or Kate or have their every move splashed in the papers. Again, this is not a diss on Joan as I actually happen to think she is one of the most gorgeous and sexiest models working.

House of Style is actually a television serie? I know it's just a web series, no airs on TV ^_^

I think miss Smalls may become a supermodel... It's a shame that she has stopped working for VS. Joan is very sexy!

According to models.com , SUPERS only are:

Adriana Lima, Christy Turlington, Claudia Schiffer, Gisele Bundchen, Heidi Klum,
Kate Moss, Linda Evangelista y Naomi Campbell.

ICONS:

Agyness Deyn, Alessandra Ambrosio, Amber Valletta, Angela Lindvall, Anja Rubik,Carmen Kass, Caroline Trentini, Carolyn Murphy, Daria Werbowy, Doutzen Kroes,Eva Herzigova, Guinivere Van Seenus, Helena Christensen, Isabeli Fontana, Iselin Steiro, Jamie Bochert, Jessica Stam, Karen Elson, Karolina Kurkova, Kristen McMenamy, Laetitia Casta, Lara Stone, Liya Kebede, Malgosia Bela, Mariacarla Boscono, Milla Jovovich, Natalia Vodianova, Natasha Poly, Raquel Zimmermann, Shalom Harlow, Stella Tennant, Stephanie Seymour.

Models.com's lists are so random sometimes imo. Maybe my expectations for a model to be called super are too high but for me the word "super" is smth out of ordinary, smth more than just successful and famous. You have to be exceptional and extremely successful in so many ways to be a supermodel which includes having an amazing body of work in high fashion, commercial success, have charisma, be fascinating and popular among general public (of course there will always be people who dislike this or that model, but let's say, be accepted by majority of people). There are tons of models, quite a few of them get to the top status, but only one in a million can be super. I don't want to take anything away from the girls mentioned in this threead, they are all successful and have amazing careers and many things to be proud of but it looks like it's so easy to become a supermodel these days. You date a celebrity, you become a supermodel in the making, you are involved in some p*rno scandal, you become famous, or you are famous because you are rich. We just live in such a weird period of time.

Heidi is supermodel? c'mon! How many Vogue covers does she have? 2? 3? In over 15 years of her career... How many shows has she walked? She is a successful, very business savvy model and I have a lot of respect for her but how is she a supermodel, I have no idea. At the same time Carmen has almost done everything and yet she is only an icon.
You have to deseerve the super status, showing your tonned butt in a man's magazine is not enough... I probably sound like a broken record but the term "supermodel" is just thrown away too loosely these days.

i can take heidi as a supermodel bc she is so successful commercially and she has an amazing body.

kate upton, on the other hand, is a big let down. i dont hate the girl but i just think that she has nothing that would qualify her to be a supermodel. it's all hype from the media bc of those si covers.

she is just a fad of the moment, just like the case of marissa miller. easy come, easy go!

I dont think Doutzen, Miranda or Candice can become supermodels. They lack that larger than life personality that will get them that HP or Pepsi star creating ad. Girls like Karolina and Gisele have larger than life personalities that have helped them not to only be in some of the best high fashion and commercial ads but also get careers in Holywood and on the small screen. The likes of Daria, Natalia or Liya may be high fashion superstars but unfortunately no outsiders know them even those with a slight

Interesting point you made there, what do you mean by larger than life personalities- does this mean when models are all singing, dancing, pulling silly faces behind the scene or backstage shoots/ shows?

I deff agree w Doutzen she has everything to be a supermodel IMO.
Candice maybe :flower:
Miranda I don't think so as she seems to do modeling as a part time.

I agree but Miranda has another job since she owns Kora Organics and she does devote quite a bit of time to that, I don't see anything wrong in this though. Quite inspiring as some models may not book a lot of jobs.

Karlie is hosting the MTV pre-show alongside Josh Horowitz...another venture outside modeling.

Could this be the true definition of a supermodel. Natasha Poly. She has been ranked as an icon on Models.com but this article talks about her relationships and connections, team work within the industry, professionalism being behind her success.
Some people do consider Natasha Poly to be a supermodel.

Said to be always learning and aiming for the top! Also a lot claim she is nice and with a heart which helps her big time!

models.com/mdx/natasha-poly-icon/

In my opinion Natasha is a supermodel, not because i'm her fan but because she had/has a great career in over a decade. I think she can be considered a supermodel in the fashion industry but outside she's not unfortunately. Natasha had 4 only girls campaigns for Gucci and this is MAJOR, 6 Only Girl Vogue Paris covers and many others big deals, plus from one year she got L'Oreal and it's another big deal. I feel there are supermodels considered in the fashion industry (Daria W, Natalia, Raquel, Karen, Natasha, Isabeli, Angela, Amber, Mariacarla, Lara etc) all with differents career/age etc but all very respectable because they're known from EVERYONE in the industry but unfortunately not outside the industry, maybe from the celebrities world but not for general public. Then there are the supermodel for the general public which some of them are real supermodels and some others just because of their fame (Naomi, Gisele, Kate, Adriana, Bar, Irina, Heidi, Kate Upton etc). I think the only supermodels in an objective way (talking about fashion industry and also outside) for me are Gisele Bundchen, Kate Moss, Naomi Campbell, Claudia Schiffer, Cindy Crawford and Eva Herzigova.
I consider also Linda, Christy, Helena, Nadja and few others real supermodels but here in Italy in my case they aren't that famous, not everyone know them while the others mentioned are known from everyone at every age, when you need an example of beauty i've heard many times the name Naomi, Gisele, Kate or Claudia but never Christy or Linda, but maybe in other countries things are different.

Cindy Crawford in the 90s is what a Supermodel is. haha. (shame she isnt on the MDC supers list, considering she epitomized the word "Supermodel")

What didn't she do? I think a true Supermodel is one who is known outside of fashion AND her modeling portfolio is endless and prestigious. I think there are more "commercial supermodels" throughout history such as Elle MacPherson,Kathy Ireland,Christie Brinkley,Tyra,Heidi,Laetitia,Adriana) and I think someone like Kate Upton would fall under that category more than with the Naomi's and Kate's.

I wouldnt' base everything on internet popularity either...for me that is only ONE aspect of being a supermodel...Like Luca said, Christy Turlington is one of the most famous,iconic supermodels who has ever lived and she is hardly "popular" with the younger twitter generation. (same with Cheyl Tiegs,Christie Brinkley,Elle,Iman)...

Luca: Linda and Christy were always the fashion darlings. They were HUGE in the 90s but never the sex symbols ala Cindy and Claudia were. Christy has even stated her biggest fanbase were females. "the men loved Cindy."

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
liffffff
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->