The Language of Fashion: Which language is best to study?

I'm thinking about trying to get into the modeling agency business (ie, internship at an agency), and I get the feeling Italian might be useful. Most all models have at least three agencies- the New York agency, the Paris agency, and the Milan agency. I'm sure the fashion industry is full of wannabe fashionistas casually dropping phrases Francais in an effort to vie for the in demand jobs, but I don't doubt Italian is as common. Is my logic far off?

Sorry about my judgement :flower: but I based it on what my friend said about learning both simulatenously. She said that she found Japanese easier because it was so different that most of the structure was new and she didn't try to apply any rules to it until she'd learnt them. But with Chinese (I think she struggled a lot with speaking in tones) but aside from that she always tried to apply rules that she knew that didn't necessarily fit so it seemed irregular as it followed some patterns she knows but not all.

In my experience, for both languages it is relatively easy to grasp the basics. Not sure about japanese, but for chinese, to be able to speak and write at an advanced level takes a lot a lot a lot of time and work! you'd probably have to really immerse yourself in the chinese culture to be a pro. :smile:

Of course, French & Italian will be welcomed in any part of the fashion industry, but Sweden has been rising in the ranks as a fashion capitol for quite a while now. ACNE, H&M, Filippa K, Cheap Monday.... all internationally known, all based in Sweden. I am learning Swedish because I've taken a large interest in Scandinavian fashion. So I guess for anyone wanting to learn a foreign language, learn the language of the place you want to work in.

i was very surprised to hear in this new The Day Before Fendi documentary (youtube) how many people in the team speak french and not italian.
Even Karl talks in French to Silvia Fendi and the company's CEO (and of course all of them speak italian)
The show producer, who also does the shows for chanel, speaks both.

I speak English, Swedish and French fluently right now and I'm looking to learn a new language.. I've been thinking about Russian, seems like it's a good language to know when working in fashion and just in everyday life. I guess Italian would be a good choice too

To revive an old thread....I'm interested in a career in fashion buying (I'm about to enter the final year of my International Business degree) and I'm thinking of taking an extra-curricular language class.

I have a choice of Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Russian and Spanish - which would be the best choice (bearing in mind I already know basic French)? Does the old advice in this thread still stand, or has Chinese/Japanese become more prominent in the last 3 years in the role of a buyer, especially since so many manufacturers are in the far east?

I'm swaying towards Italian, because of the obvious fashion link, and I also go on holiday in Italy most summers so it would be useful but a second opinion would be very helpful!

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I wouldn't have thought buyers would be dealing with production ... wouldn't that be internal to a label? Unless perhaps private label buyers do that?

To revive an old thread....I'm interested in a career in fashion buying (I'm about to enter the final year of my International Business degree) and I'm thinking of taking an extra-curricular language class.

I have a choice of Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Russian and Spanish - which would be the best choice (bearing in mind I already know basic French)? Does the old advice in this thread still stand, or has Chinese/Japanese become more prominent in the last 3 years in the role of a buyer, especially since so many manufacturers are in the far east?

I'm swaying towards Italian, because of the obvious fashion link, and I also go on holiday in Italy most summers so it would be useful but a second opinion would be very helpful!

Italian is not so important, all good european showrooms speak english...
I'd try Russian or Chinese if I was into fashion buying
German is also an option since they are the only ones in EU with money to spend

http://fashionista.com/2013/01/mandarin-luxury-market-important/

After reading this, I just couldn't stop thinking that maybe indeed the best language to study is Mandarin, because it seems that slowly they are taking over the fashion world and Chinese women are willing to spend much more money on fashion than European women.
Also I was considering Russian, but I am not sure in which way it would be useful, because I am definitely not planning to spend the rest of my life in there and I am not sure how many people in the fashion world speak Russian.
What do you think that would be best for someone who is trying to break into the fashion industry at the moment or planning to do so int he future?
I already speak English, French, some Spanish and my old native Romanian :P

since you already know English & French, I'd go for Chinese. It's so useful, not just in the Fashion industry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->