The Philophiles : A 'new' trend?

I agree with you tuetre. Zara's line in perfect in many ways. It has quality and it's quite budget friendly so the few pieces I did get, I bought from Zara. :smile:

I agree with you tuetre. Zara's line in perfect in many ways. It has quality and it's quite budget friendly so the few pieces I did get, I bought from Zara. :smile:
^ I got quite a few things there recently, I was thrilled to see how nice their merchandise was (I usually like what they have but this season they did a terrific job of it :clap:)

^Totally agree with you. There are only a few selected mainstream shops that go with the new flow, other ones choose to stick to the current 80s inspired looks. I went shopping yesterday and almost came back empty-handed. As a lover of minimalism, clean cuts, lovely fabrics and interesting pattern solutions, I couldn't really find anything that could be labeled as 'minimal' or 'Philo-esq'.

COS also has some great minimalistic and clean clothes, without them being boring :flower:.

I know my fashion opinion is not as well developed as many of you, but I am so sick of people looking backwards to the 80s or 90s for style. It's tired and boring. I am so in love with clean lines and sharp tailoring - so I guess I am a Philophile also!

H&M seem to be on this as well, I've been seeing a ton of this there

on another note - I keep reading this as 'the pedophiles' and it freaks me out just as much everytime:shock::ninja:

Zara has great tops and coats but their pants lol are horrible and unflattering they need to fix that

from the new york times blog

New York Fashion Week | The Céline Factor

As the New York spring collections began, just five days ago, the main question on the minds of fashion editors was how much Céline would there be on the catwalks. We knew it would be in the audience — that stripe-y tunic dress with zip shoulder (so Agnès B and yet so not) is ubiquitous at Lincoln Center, as are the wide-leg pants, the khaki shirt with gold zipper pulls, the soft square tote. But how much of the Céline designer Phoebe Philo’s tailored conceptualism, her hand with stripped-back superhot sportswear, would find its way into American clothes remained to be seen. We — fashion editors — all remember the Marni-fication of the industry a decade ago. We know very well what one cool brand can do to women’s closets. And, let’s face it: sportswear is the hallmark of American fashion. Bringing Céline back is like lugging coal to Newcastle.

And so far the jury is happily out. Waistlines have risen on trousers — a Philo gesture — and jackets are everywhere, over everything. But the designers that have shown to date have, for the most part, chosen to refine their signatures, not forge a new one. The strongest sign of this was at Tom Ford, where the designer showed a ready-to-wear collection of ultra-luxurious, overtly glamorous, womanly clothes with all the curves and flourishes that Philo rigorously eschews.

That said, a certain elegant efficiency (which is very Céline) characterizes the first few must-have ideas for spring. Already we are thinking of plain white dresses (in organic batiste at Organic, fluttery silk at Thakoon, nonclingy jersey at Derek Lam), sleeveless trench frocks (DKNY, Derek Lam), something boyish in white eyelet (Rag & Bone, Thakoon, Tommy Hilfiger), really sharp shorts (surfer length at Alexander Wang, neat in navy at DVF). It’s well-proportioned sportswear without lots of bells and whistles; done with a clever eye for cut (a narrower armhole, a niftier elevated waistline, the kind of tricks Scott Sternberg of Band of Outsiders excels at), nothing looks sharper or, indeed, more chicly American.

^ :clap: Elegant efficiency is a great term for it. I think what's making this trend so popular is how un-intimidating and effortless it is - you can look elegant and chic without looking pompous, posh, contrived or boring, all common stereotypical images the word "elegant" often conjures.

i love minimalist pieces. i wish high street shops had things that were simpler and better cut. i'm not against scruffy or anything like that, but there's something about clean lines & simple colours that i love. jil sander, phoebe philo etc design stuff i love so much.

i think the reason it's so popular is that it is intended for GROWN women...
and not girls...

there are LOADS of things out there for teens and twenty-somethings...
but when it comes to women in their mid-thirties and beyond...
there is a serious hole in the market...

many women cannot- and DO NOT - want to wear pants that hit on their hips and below...
one of the best things to come out of this is that we are finally seeing waistbands inch up a bit further...
and not in a cartoonish- acne/corset jeans sort of way...
*too silly for words!!!...
but in a very chic and elegant 70's bianca jagger kind of way...

thank GAWD!..
:lol:...

these are the kinds of clothes you can wear to a college lecture or to a board meeting...
they are more serious and still sexy...
these are the kinds of clothes that women wore during the 70's sexual revolution-
when women were standing up for their rights in the worklplace and in the bedroom...

these are serious clothes...
and incredibly fun as well...

what's not to love...

^ :clap: Elegant efficiency is a great term for it. I think what's making this trend so popular is how un-intimidating and effortless it is - you can look elegant and chic without looking pompous, posh, contrived or boring, all common stereotypical images the word "elegant" often conjures.

So totally true. Elegant efficiency. I'm trying to streamline my look to "elegant efficiency."

Well I'm gonna be honest I definitely got soaked in with the whole 80's revival. BUT I think it is a matter of age. At least for me it would be weird to see a 16 year old all covered up in a camel poncho (example), but it is definitely nice to see cleaner things. I've been trying them out myself and I got to be honest I feel so good wearing nice clothes. I leave the ripped jeans and oversized t shirts as a stay home/lazy day outfit. :P

I know my fashion opinion is not as well developed as many of you, but I am so sick of people looking backwards to the 80s or 90s for style. It's tired and boring. I am so in love with clean lines and sharp tailoring - so I guess I am a Philophile also!

it's still looking back though...
to the 70's...

:P

garancedore.fr

Attachments

• Amanda-Brooks.jpg
    Amanda-Brooks.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 21

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members