Is Downton Abbey Sparking a Trend for Early 20th Century Fashion?

I was looking at some of the Topshop coats this season and I think they have a bit of an early 20th century feel to them, probably inspired by the show? anyway they're quite pretty :heart:.

abbey1.jpg

abbey2.jpg

abbey3.jpg

abbey4.jpg

abbey5.jpg

TS1.jpgTS3.jpgTS4.jpg

TS5.jpgTS2.jpgTS6.jpg
[screencaps via watchseries.eu/topshop.com]

Those jackets are gorgeous. And they certainly have a 20th century feel to them. It makes me wonder how much more of an influence Downton will have over the fashion industry. Hopefully lots, especially since the 20's will be happening in the next season! And the fashion industry sure loves the roaring 20's. I think if there is anything to be taken away from watching the show fashion wise it's the richness of the clothes. All the all look so elegant and put together (no matter if they are Crawley's or in service) which I don't think happens the same way now days.

I really need to start watching this! Have been meaning to for ages. Personally I'm all for a 20's-inspired trend, as it's an era I've always loved for fashion. Have definitely noticed lots of intricate beading and quite a few drop waists on the high street already. Love some of those Topshop coats too - I was looking at the Topshop Unique one with the fur cuffs today wondering if there was any way I could pull it off!

This is funny as I've just been getting into 1920's fashion again.
I got some great inspiration from Midnight in Paris:

midnight-in-paris-woody-allen-fashion-look-marion-cotillard.jpg

anomalousmaterial.com

tumblr_llbnrj2diy1qd06clo1_500.jpg

****yeahtomhiddleston.tumblr.com

I especially loved how the Belle Epoque period was portrayed in this movie.

Personally I wanna see some Mariano Fortuny inspired dresses! So hard to come by these days..

Oh my goodness I love this thread! I do hope it doesn't become too much of a trend, I'd hate to see a bunch of girls all walking around in turn of the century inspired garb just for the sake of being trendy. I don't mean to step on anyone's toes of course... just I truly love the style and clothes from this era and I wouldn't want it to become something passe.

Although, to be honest, I would heartily welcome more femininity in women's fashions. ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->