Liz Smith Reporting on Tom Ford's Remarks Towards Yves Saint Laurent

lady grey

Reaction score
""SPEAKING OF holiday "cheer," right before Christmas Tom Ford, who eight months ago resigned as the chief designer of Yves Saint Laurent, had a few remarks about Monsieur Saint Laurent, who never seemed to appreciate Tom's talents. "I am sorry to have to say it in such an extreme way, but he has behaved like a bastard . . . the only thing I wanted was to give back to his label some of the splendor it used to have. Saint Laurent is a bitter old man who has reached the age at which he should retire." Ouch! Tom, Tom. We love you, but never cite age as a reason for retirement. You are still a young man — though not a youth. God willing, you'll reach Yves' age. And you'll be looking over your shoulder, at whippersnappers snapping at your heels. ""

Liz Smith, NY Post Tues Jan. 4, 2005....

isn't this over yet?...tom is so bitter...i can't believe he's still taking swipes at YSL...

tom

he misses fashion so much.
he wanted to makeover versace but they wouldnt axe donatella [understandably!!].

he must miss gucci like his teddybear.

he's just lashing out because he knows his departure is what saint laurent wanted and that he was never really welcome there. bring back splendor to the label? He did a crap job of that. So glad he's gone.

If he misses fashion so much, why not make a return with a private label? Probably because he needs a big name to start with and to take his inspiration from... Maybe he should now define who Tom is and what HIS style would be.

For the love of fashion I just wish he would stop this nonsense, so monsieur Laurent did not like what tom did, get over it and stop acting like and immature prat. No matter what he might say I personally think he's bitter because he didn't get the approval of one of the most important contributors to fashion.

oh please......tom needs to beg at the alter of Yves.......
Tom doesnt know what splendour is if it hit him in the face

he's tacky tacky tacky :yuk: never liked the guy
never will

i wonder how long liz smith has kept that unused quotation in her slow-newsday file

Tom just had so little understanding of what YSL was about it was unbelievable. Did he think that throwing a bit of kinky ("dripping hot wax") into his usual sex-show would make it French? By the time Tom's Yves' age he'll be making the kind of movies that you find in bargain bins at video-rental stores.

Sorry to say this! i guess u guys have no idea what pride really means to a passionate designer like Tom Ford..Please don't just be an ignorant commentator.it's really disgusting when relentless and senseless critics are made by ignorant people who think they knows fashion just simply because they like it.

:D
CrEateuR said:
Sorry to say this! i guess u guys have no idea what pride really means to a passionate designer like Tom Ford..Please don't just be an ignorant commentator.it's really disgusting when relentless and senseless critics are made by ignorant people who think they knows fashion just simply because they like it.
Within that post I see not one positive statement to show that you're any more of an informed commentator than we are. What exactly does Tom Ford's 'pride' have to with the fact he couldn't design his way out of Ikea?

Welcome to tFS, BTW.

i guess the true test of tom ford's success will be whether or not pilati, who has the st. laurent blessing, will elevate the brand to profitabity

Well, as all of us know Monsieur Saint Laurent is a legend.No one can deny that. However, as much as all of us hope to see the his legacy to be carried on, we have to admit that the legend himself had declared the end of his own vision. Tom Ford, by virtue of his works, had shown to us that he had not intention of replicating the vision of Monsieur Saint Laurent.For instance, The Le Smoking suits. once pioneered by the legend has lost its appeal as it used to be simply because it has turned into a must-have in every modern workin women wardrobe.It is almost possible to say that the appeal of Saint Laurent has lost its shine and perhaps relevance in today's world of fashion. Tom ford declared it himself that all he wanted to do was to bring the House of Yves Saint Laurent back to its former glory. There is no other better ways of doing that by presenting his own vision of what Saint Laurent woman looks like in todays world. If you remember th surreaslist collection he presented, it was condemned by many critics for its blatant celebration of sex. The purple nipple was as much shame as it is a reality.Shame that he used such a cheap tool of capturing the atttention of critics. A reality simply because " sex sells" it's an undeniable truth of our times.In short, there is no way one could interpret the spirit of former Saint Laurent.However, there is a possiblity of celebrating the legacy of the legend in the language of the present and hopefully making it legitimate for the days ahead.

Wel., i guess u really don't understand. Anyone who is a designer has the passion of doing his best. When u feel u have done your best and yet you are slashed by critics, there is definitely bitterness when your work are not given its much appreciated constructive comments.

His best wasn't good enough. He got what he deserved from the critics and I don't see why we all have to be so sensitive about poor Tommy's feelings.

We have plenty of threads about why Tom Ford's single gift was for slick, kitsch American garbage so look them up if you want to argue about his merits as a designer.

Being sensitive has never been my forte but i guess u really need to have more substantial knowledge before you can be credible enough to critique works of other designers. Thanks for the kick in the ***.Hope you'll be more informed.

Tu quo que. By your reasoning, you don't have substantial enough knowledge of the inner workings of my mind to criticise me.

it's so funny to watch this debate since anyone who understands even a little about ysl under tom ford knows that pilati was actually the designer of all that trash being attributed to tom ford. tom ford just said yes or no, pilati had his pen to the pad. by denigrating the previous work, you are denigrating the current designer's work as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neverchiu
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->