The Return of the Waist

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
*regarding the LONDON collections*

The waist is back
(Filed: 20/09/2005)
Hillary Alexander

Women, so they say, dress for themselves, or to impress their girlfriends. It seems right to assume then that they know what's best. And if they're designers as well - as were more than a dozen of the "names" showing at London Fashion Week yesterday - then they know what's right for us, too.

What these women designers seem to have collectively decreed is that it is time for The Return of the Waist. Belted, sashed and bowed, tied, cinched and corseted, the clothes that came down the catwalks yesterday featured the waist in that most traditional and anatomically correct of places - approximately halfway between bust and hips.

The waist has been out of favour for some time, replaced by that middling area somewhere between the belly button and the top of the hips. This has virtually killed off trousers and skirts that do up at the waist in favour of anything low-slung or in danger of slipping off completely. All this is set to change for next spring/summer.

The return of the waist carries both plus and minus points. In its favour, it signals an end to the unwelcome sight of the ubiquitous thong visible above hip-slung jeans and often biting into an unsavoury expanse of mottled white flesh. It also, I am assured, makes your legs look longer.

The down side is that it can mean a definite "yes" to the question "does my bum look big in this?"The smaller your derriere, the tighter you can belt; the bigger your rear, the less you can cinch. If all else fails, slip a lightweight, edge-to-edge coat or cardigan on top and let your waist look fabulous from the front.

excerpt from telegraph.co.uk

I'm very exited about this and I'm officially "wearing waist" tomorrow

Yay! This is wonderful!

I like wearing my belts actually a bit higher to make me appear a bit taller :-)

This is bad for me. I don't have a waist, I'm like a plank ... :cry:

Your not alone Bluestar!!!! I'm so skinny I hate it.

Bluestar07 said:
This is bad for me. I don't have a waist, I'm like a plank ... :cry:

don't be sad. with a belt you can emphasize your waist and make it more visible. it's notbad for you, it's good for you :wink:

I have a short body...so wearing high waisted bottoms make me look really disproportionate.. :(

i'm not sure how i feel about this...
but it is certainly all over the runways for spring...
i was just getting used to the whole empire wst/babydoll thing...
though i do like my high waisted marni skirt...

hmmm...not sure...:unsure:...

I'm not really skinny...but I don't have that great a hip/waist ratio....a square body really....but I love cinched in waists so much! They make you feel really feminine.

As I've been buying high waists for years, it's good to know it hasn't all been wasted time...

Yey, I love my waist and am just refinding it. I'm all set to enjoy this run... I do kinda wonder if we might not end up 'doing' the waist for a short period of time (spring/summer), jump to high waisted (winter) and then revisit the waist (spring/summer 07)... That way it would allow people room to experiment and run with both ideas. I wonder if it isnt more a demise for the low waisted styles as opposed to not wasting your waist.

Hmm not sure if I'm liking this new upward movement... With skirts and dresses it is a definite yes, but jeans and trousers? nay.. At least not with my hips; there are waaaayyy to feminine to pull off a high waisted pair of pants... :doh: There is one pro for the hips though; my waist appears to be smaller than it actually is :huh:

it looks like i am getting somewhat used to this idea because yesterday i was in the closet trying on clothes and i actually pulled out some belts...
and the outfits really did look much better belted...

so i guess my waist is back anyway...:lol:...

i'm not soo sure anymore...:ermm:
i feel like my movement is very restricted with a belt on...
i am so spoiled from all the loose layers i've been wearing...
i hate to wear anything that is too binding...:ninja:

ooo, I remember reading that...

The look doesn't really appeal to me...and if you're petite...you're in trouble...

I hope to be able to get away with this in a couple of months time...i've fallen in love with a couple of belts and i love the cinched waist look (just not extreme)

Perhaps if u wear two belts before u go out, then take one off before u get out the door...you'll find you feel you have more freedom of movement? :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porcelainbackbone
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->