The Row : from Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
42368ashleyolsenmissdavwt4.jpg

JUST-JARED

f
rom fashionweekdaily:

Locals Isaac Joseph, Tracee Ellis Ross, Cameron Silver, and Shiva Rose were also all on hand, as well as Ashley Olsen, who sat curled up with Stanley all night (the stylist just did the Olsens’ L.A. home, as she doubles as a decorator). “I’m not wearing Miss Davenporte because I’m wearing The Row, my own line,” she admitted, “This is a man’s knit grey T-shirt, a leather skirt, and I’m afraid my Wolfords are ripped, but that’s what stockings do!” Jamie Lynn Sigler passed through as well, also hitting a Reebok party down in Bungalow One. Hannigan, meanwhile, was showing off a new sleek look, courtesy of the stylists.

the market that drops this much on clothes, KNOWS their fashion news for the most part.

Not really. Take a look at who is actually buying these exspensive clothes next time you're at barney's or bergdorf's.

Two things--- I am glad to see that the men's stuff actually is being produced, however, I spoke to someone at Maxfield yesterday who said they wouldn't be doing it, so I don't know what the deal is.

On the issue of the article on the last page... I think it is in extremely poor taste for Phillip Lim to be dragging anyone through the muck, and to call something "unfair" is just cheesy. If you are going to critique it, give a concrete criticism, not just say its unfair that someone has the advantage of wealth and fame (which, for the record, he has as well at this point). Also, I don't know how lucky The Row has really been, while yes their name got them through the door at Barney's, it was not the only thing. Barney's hasn't written J-Lo or any other celeb line that I’m aware of, so clearly they respect the creative point of view of the line beyond the influence of the person selling it. AND let us not forget that there is plenty of room for all kinds of labels and designers, The Row is not taking the place of anything else, and if they go their concept pushed into stores faster than others because of their money and names, then so be it, that’s life. We are talking about tee shirts, its not "unfair" that one person gets to sell them and another does not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you try on any of the proenza schouler pieces at target? the fabric was terrible! It was so uncomfortable and scratchy and the fits were weird. The pieces managed to photograph well and reflected a certain aesthetic but the quality was certainly not there. I'd rather pay higher prices for quality pieces (no matter WHO designed them) that fit me well and look good on me then stock up on junk. But thats just me.

i actually own 4 pieces from the proenza schouler for target line, and i'm very happy with all of them...
of course they weren't going to be the exact same quality because of the pricing...
like i said in my quote, the objective was to produce pieces that reflected their design aesthetic...
i too, would rather pay higher prices for higher quality, but i bought pieces from the line that i liked and that worked on me and felt comfortable..
and i don't think the boys would have done the line if the quality wasn't up to their standards...in fact, there's an interview with jack and lazaro in the ps for target thread that says exactly that...

back to the topic..i love ashley's outfit above...
i wonder if the skirt is part of the row line too...

mjcouture...karma for your last statement...
totally spot on...:flower:

Not really. Take a look at who is actually buying these exspensive clothes next time you're at barney's or bergdorf's.

yes really.

i am both the client and work in the industry, and simple marketing data shows that women who shop high end are both well read in their fields AND their purchases, whether that be a car, real estate or dress.

yes really.

i am both the client and work in the industry, and simple marketing data shows that women who shop high end are both well read in their fields AND their purchases, whether that be a car, real estate or dress.

Well read, you mean like Vogue? Or do you mean WWD? What do you mean? I really don't think women who buy high end fashion know all that much about it. They know the big names, they know what they like, but it doesn't go much beyond there. That's why there are sales assistants and window displays to market and explain to them what they aren't familiar with. The only thing I can safely say about the high fashion customer is that they have a lot of money, it can't be assumed they can tell the difference between Rick Owens and The Row. However, judging from the large representation of Rick Owens in department stores I'm willing to bet there is already an established preference for him, his knitwear especially.

^^^
well read, as in, well read. not that tough to understand. they know what they are in the market for and recognize quality regardless of the label because they are surrounded with high end items in most aspects of their life. not asking you to agree, simply stating that the vast majority clients shopping at this price point understand fashion, including its concepts and shifts. they DO indeed know the brands the row (and its association with mk&a), rick owens, and james perse and understand the differences whether it has to do with pricing, image or the celeb-factor.

I don't know, maybe I've been in a small country far too long but I think the largest market here is nouveau riche....these are people who haven't grown up with wealth and who buy expensive just for the sake of expensive. I don't think that's a market to discount, it's growing bigger every day.

^^^
well read, as in, well read. not that tough to understand. they know what they are in the market for and recognize quality regardless of the label because they are surrounded with high end items in most aspects of their life. not asking you to agree, simply stating that the vast majority clients shopping at this price point understand fashion, including its concepts and shifts. they DO indeed know the brands the row (and its association with mk&a), rick owens, and james perse and understand the differences whether it has to do with pricing, image or the celeb-factor.

What are they reading that informs them? I think it's a valid question to ask, I assume you would need to knows this if you have simple statistics for this demographic. What do you read?

I'm just skeptical that the majority of fashion buyers really do understand the way things flow. If this were the case it would be much easier to promote younger talents. You wouldn't see the same insanely large volumes of Armani in department stores. You know what I mean? I don't have any marketing statistics but I'm very familiar with this kind of culture, I'd wish consumers of this market were more aware.

I honestly think most people with money only recognize the big name luxury labels and celebrity labels and that's it. Unless they have a fetish for a particular item they don't really research the clothes or have a technical knowledge to guide their decision.

disheartening...

I find it disheartening that celebrities can just come in and design whatever- even if it is poor quality/design just because of their money, status, and name. So in that regard I sympathize with Philip Lim, who is truly talented and deserving of his award, yet he must compete with "The Row." Clearly we know who the better designer is. Mka (i still adore them) should stick to WEARING the designs...

Ashley in Marie Claire :

" Cue the skeptics: In a New York Times article last June, designer Phillip Lim implied there was something unfair about celebrities like Ashley and Mary-Kate getting into the contemporary market, making it that much harder for "real" designers who lack their fame and resources. "He wrote a letter the next day," Ashley is quick to note. "He was like, 'You know, I was completely misquoted. I respect you guys more than anything, just keep kicking ***.'" "

I find it disheartening that celebrities can just come in and design whatever- even if it is poor quality/design just because of their money, status, and name. So in that regard I sympathize with Philip Lim, who is truly talented and deserving of his award, yet he must compete with "The Row." Clearly we know who the better designer is. Mka (i still adore them) should stick to WEARING the designs...

I agree. But The Row is not poor quality or design. They are well made, thought out products. While I hesitate to say they are well designed (because, quite frankly they are not very designed at all), they are well cut and fitted. While I admire Phillip Lim's work, and his choice to limit the price-point of his collection, he is just as lucky as they are to be in his charmed situation. Quite frankly, his stuff is nothing that has not been done before (or that is not being done by dozens of others currently). He makes cute things, but his success is more tied to his relationship with the press and his low prices than it is with genious designing.

Last edited by a moderator:
more from the marie claire article...

Around 1 P.M., Ashley leave sher offices for the factory in downtown L.A. where The Row samples are made....

Inside the factory, crammed with bolts of cloth, sewing machines, and wardrobe dummies, Ashley strokes, tucks, tweaks, and takes the meature of a fit model in a sleek stretch-leather mini, a miraculously simple little back dress -- pulling her hair back in to a chaotic knot while whispering instructions to the seamstress like, "Increase the shoulder seam three-quarters" and "It has to be tight enough so that her crack doesn't show when she bends over." It's hard to picture her enjoying anything more. Nothing flaky or diva-like about it -- she just really loves doing this work.

I would be...she's done internships...why is it so hard to believe that somebody can really enjoy pursuing the art of fashion? Goodness, it's not her fault she became a star on a TV show when she was just a little baby...even if she hadn't continued with the monopoly she'd still be known as the kid from Full House. Can't everybody get over it already?

I would be...she's done internships...why is it so hard to believe that somebody can really enjoy pursuing the art of fashion? Goodness, it's not her fault she became a star on a TV show when she was just a little baby...even if she hadn't continued with the monopoly she'd still be known as the kid from Full House. Can't everybody get over it already?

KARMA FOR YOU just K-A-R-M-A.
It's so ANNOYING that people can't get over the things! It's like if you did something, you've to do it for the rest of your life; and it's impossible to you to be credible (spell?) in your new activity just because you're not doing what you're famous for. I mean, come on !

Yes I have known them for years and it just bothers me how people are in love and OBSESSED with them when they do not know what they are really like...I know I can get out of hand some times but they are just not nice, smart, or mature people...

Any way I have been very bad going off topic so...more about The Row I suppose :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kittyofsecrets
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->