The Row : from Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
don't lump sjp into the rest of the psuedo-designers out there like beyoncé, jessica simpson, etc...
sjp does have a definite interest in fashion and she does not just care about being "pretty" in the clothes that are given to her...
she doesn't claim to be a designer, but as a mother and woman, she does want clothing that is affordable and adaptable to her lifestyle...

My apologies. I found Bitten to be bland and felt personally it looked trashy/cheap, whereas I like the majority of the pieces in The Row. They're out of my price range (heck, most clothes are), but I felt that the price was worth it since I find it difficult a lot of the time to find good basics. If I was on a good income I'd definitely invest in a few Row pieces. I also like the idea that The Row is a very small line and the fabrication method behind The Row appeals to me too, it feels like a very intimate and well thought out line. :blush:

I found Bitten to be bland and felt personally it looked trashy/cheap
SOOO Agree !

I think you just cant compare The Row with the others celebs clothing line. Thats another market, another idea, another quality.
The thing I dont get is, why blaming them for selling at this prices ? If they've the ambition of a high-quality line why blaming them for that? They already have a place in the market for children/teens clothes, they wanted something new, they have it! And i think what they do with the Row is really good.

What did you expect? A clothing line you could find at Walmart or H&M? And then I'm sure ppl would have say something like "For people who claim loving fashion, doing those crappy clothes is such a shame" ...

This is ridiculous. ALL pieces under Bitten are UNDER $20!! Does the Row have anything less than that?? I can safely assume that they would charge THE LABEL that is sewn in the garment atleast $100.

I understand that they want a high end line. But shirts with one french seam, using a yard of fabric does not justify these prices.

In the end, like SJP's Bitten, they are massed produced. May not be in a sweatshop, but let's not fool ourselves, they are not sewn by hand either.

If you're asking me to pay $600 for a T-SHIRT, I damn well want to see the fabric woven by hand in front of my face, as well as hand-sewing that single french seam at the center back.

I work in the industry and I have looked up the materials they used, and the wholesale markup, plus the retail markup for these "designed" pieces are pure gluttony.

I think the "name" part is the difference. When people pay more for the Chanel name they are paying for a name that has a tradition and history of the best couturiers in fashion. With the Olsen "name" buyers are getting two former child stars with no fashion training who just happen to like clothes.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's about time!

As far as I'm aware they do handmake all of these pieces. I think there was an article in this thread earlier. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The Bitten line is referenced - would it matter to somebody like me that the Bitten collection is under a certain price? If nobody else offers a product that I want, then the price, say for well crafted basics, becomes more justified. There is nothing in the Bitten range that I would wear, so for me personally the price becomes irrelevant.

And again, about the 'Olsen' name, it's not "The Row by Mary Kate & Ashley" in shops, it is "The Row".

I think my post got miscontrued. I never compared the clothes from Bitten to the Row-- they are different style and market. I was comparing the approach of the celebrity designers behind them. SJP is humble and acknowledges she is not a designer while I think the Olsen's feel their status as fashion icons makes them credible designers and hence the ridiculous prices.

I don't begrudge the Olsens for charging what they do. I do wonder about anyone who would pay that much for a a t-shirt simply because the Olsen name was behind it when that "name" holds no history or tradition of quality or craftsmanship and they aren't presenting anything new really.

I do wonder about anyone who would pay that much for a a t-shirt simply because the Olsen name was behind it

But I wouldn't buy the product just because it was an Olsen product. I'd buy it because currently I feel they offer something that currently isn't available to me in that form elsewhere. I also don't feel the price is that ridiculous. It's true that I may be the anomaly, but I only know that the brand is MK&A through TFS. Elsewhere the name is purely "The Row" and offers no mention of MK&A. Of course time will tell how this line fares, but it got me exicted, not because of the name but because of the concept and the fabrics.

SOOO Agree !

What did you expect? A clothing line you could find at Walmart or H&M? And then I'm sure ppl would have say something like "For people who claim loving fashion, doing those crappy clothes is such a shame" ...

EXACTLY! If they did a WalMart line for adults, all we would hear would be "why don't they wear their own line? do they think they are too good for it?" At the end of the day, at the very least they have created something they are actually proud of and actually enjoy wearing (and do quite frequently, and not for publicity). This is not a "celebrity" clothing line, it is a line of clothing that happens to have been conceived by celebrities (it is of note also to add that since Ashley is not acting anymore, we should not begrudge her the chance to make a career change, for god's sake shes 20.).

The price tag of fame

AE3.gif

Celebrities who dabble in the rag trade are cruising ahead of real designers, writes Georgina Safe | August 01, 2007

EIGHT weeks ago designer Phillip Lim, 33, won the fashion industry's highest award for emerging talent. Lim had toiled at various design houses before founding his own label, 3.1 Phillip Lim, which is stocked across the world at stores such as Neiman Marcus in the US, Net-a-porter.com online and Belinda and Robby Ingham in Sydney.
0,,5590867,00.jpg
Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen

But his excitement at being anointed by the Council of Fashion Designers of America was dampened by the fact he was handed his trophy by two young women who also call themselves designers, Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen. The celebrity twins had been invited to present the rising-star award at the New York event, but they would rather be receiving it: the Olsens are introducing a high-end clothing collection that will compete directly with Lim's.
"You think: 'Wow, how unfair,"' Lim told The New York Times after reading an article in Women's Wear Daily about the Olsens' plans to expand their business empire - previously focused on tween merchandise sold in mass-market stores such as Wal-Mart and estimated by Forbes in 2003 to have sales of $US1.4 billion - into the high-end designer fashion market.
Prices of the twins' venture the Row would feed struggling fashion designers for months: a $US3220 ($3790) Tuscan lamb-fur coat, $US1700 cashmere tuxedo jackets and $US875 banded strapless dresses are among the Row's autumn-winter offerings.
Someone who could use a good meal is Victoria Beckham, who launched her own high-end jeans and sunglasses line DVB (jeans $US289, oversize sunnies $US280) at Saks Fifth Avenue in New York on June 15.
"I couldn't be the best singer, dancer, actress, but I'm actually really good at this," the petite fashion plate told Style.com. "I'm fanatical about rivets and things that most people don't even pay attention to."
Her hardware obsession - who would have thought? - may sound like a celebrity indulgence (will anyone other than VB be able to fit into her spray-on denims?) but Beckham's line is stocked at serious fashion destinations including Henri Bendel and Saks' New York and Beverly Hills flagships.
With stockists including Corso Como in Milan, Harvey Nichols in London and Maria Luisa in Paris, the Row is likewise no peripheral pet project; it is very real and direct competition to designers such as Lim.
In The New York Times article last month, Lim articulated a growing frustration among his peers as they faced an onslaught of high-end competing lines from celebrities.
The relationship between celebrities and fashion is nothing new. Fashion has courted famous people for decades, dressing them for the red carpet and paying them handsomely to endorse products and adorn advertising campaigns.
Nor are celebrity designers a revolutionary construct. Pamela Anderson, rappers 50Cent and Nelly, and even actor John Malkovich are among the stars who have put their names to a line, as have Australians Kylie Minogue and Delta Goodrem (both lingerie) and the Veronicas, who recently inked a deal with Target.
The question today isn't which celebrity has a clothing range, it's which one doesn't.
In the US Sean "P. Diddy" Combs even won the CFDA award for menswear last year, thanks in part to his notoriety but also to some handy friends in high places, such as Anna Wintour and Tom Ford.
What is different with the latest crop of celebrity designers however, is that they are boldface names who come with serious fashion credentials and, increasingly, a sophisticated product that will pit them directly against established labels.
Jennifer Lopez, Gwen Stefani, Kate Moss (for Topshop), Madonna (for H&M) and Lily Allen (H&M) are among the fashion-forward stars who have their own lines and wear them often.
Where once the Olsens might have worn Lim's designs, they wore their own to the CFDA awards. This month's British Vogue features a photo shoot of Sienna Miller wearing Twenty8Twelve, her new label in partnership with her designer sister Savannah, and doubtless Naomi Campbell will be sporting bandage dresses aplenty if her rumoured collaboration with Christopher Kane comes to fruition.
The addition of serious fashion credibility to celebrity lines marks a shift in the star-designer relationship, and some fear it will not bode well for the latter.
Lim, who expects his collection to reach $US30 million in sales this year, told The New York Times the chances of a young designer surviving in the business today are "slim to none".
By contrast, celebrity lines such as Combs's and Lopez's typically break the $US100 million mark in sales in their first or second year, according to The New York Times, thanks to the power of a famous face hitched to a huge marketing campaign.
But what about the artisanship and originality that real designers bring to their craft? Shouldn't those hours in the atelier count for something to consumers, compared with Moss rifling through her wardrobe and and copying pieces by other designers for her clothing collection?
Apparently not. Our brightest talent, Toni Maticevski, for example, hasn't sold a jot from his most recent collection to a department store or boutique in Australia (it is available only online). Instead, the designer is reliant on kitting out celebrities (usually Jennifer Hawkins, the face of Myer, where his cheaper diffusion line is stocked) to gain exposure.
Fashion's heightened focus on celebrity encourages designers to also raise their personal profiles. In a sense, they must now become celebrities to compete with them. Flick through the social pages of any newspaper or magazine and you'll see designers everywhere, pleasing their sponsors and promoting themselves.
But in the end it's about selling clothes. So, to play by the new rules of business, fashion designers are creating lower-priced lines for mass-market stores such as H&M, Topshop and Target.
Wayne Cooper and Jayson Brunsdon are designing diffusion ranges for Myer, while Josh Goot's collection for Target collection went on sale to the public in June.
The danger is that local designers doing diffusion risk diluting their brands. Although established American and European brands have enough integrity and identity to do this successfully (Issey Miyake and Stella McCartney for Target, Karl Lagerfeld for H&M), locally designers are not well known enough or have sufficient tricks in their repertoire to make it work. Goot's range for Target was fine, for example, but it was remarkably similar to his earlier mainline collection that many of his fashion fans bought for six times the price.
While they generate serious dollars (why else would a designer do one?) diffusion lines are a drain, diverting valuable resources and thinking time away from creating clothes, as opposed to commodifying them.
Fashion designers push the boundaries of what we will wear, moving fashion forward while the rest of us, including celebrities, play catch-up with our clothes. Perhaps the best way for designers to move forward is to concentrate on their strength: creating clothes that challenge the way we think, inspiring and sometimes inciting us.
After all, it's hard to imagine actor Sarah Jessica Parker giving up her beloved Oscar de la Renta dresses in favour of her new range Bitten for budget retailer Steve & Barry's (themost expensive item in the 500-piece range is $US19.98).
Ultimately the celebrity-designer relationship remains symbiotic. Despite the comments of designers such as Lim, there is surely enough fashion for everyone.
"Fashion is a business, I don't see why celebrities can't be designers," designer Zac Posen recently told Fashion Wire Daily.
"I'm happy that celebrity designers hire great young designers and design teams. I think the CFDA should link really talented young designers with great celebrities who can promote it."
But perhaps not Lim with the Olsen twins.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22166093-28737,00.html

Thanks for that article.
More seriously, i don't get the drama with them having a fashion line. They are celebrities, okey, so what ? If a person like the clothes, he or she doesnt care if it's a celebrity or a designer who offer the line, the most important is that you want to wear the clothes. Then i understand some young designers think that's unfair because celebrities' lines will be quickly highlighted by the medias when they'll have to wait for months and months to finally be recognized. But well ....

I think people are smart, celebrities or designers, people will buy the clothes if they like them

^I think there is drama because they charge so much for being two bratty twins with no training in fashion. Yes I know that they have the right to charge some more money because of better quality but Rick Owens has been doing the same thing as them for a while and I think his clothes are cheaper. Like some one said with Chanel you are paying for a history and you know that you will have good quality but with The Row you are paying for the Olsens...

^ I agree with you but don't you think that :
- If people think it's too expensive for that kind of clothes, they won't buy it
- Some people won't even know that's the Olsen's line when they'll buy it ? I mean, when you buy something, you don't look at first what designer it is but if you like the piece, no ?

I agree with you, I am just saying that might be why some people are not wanting to buy it.

On the second thing you wrote...some people will only buy a thing because of the designer or NOT buy a thing because of the designer.

Every time I shop I look at piece first but some times I will not buy things because of a certain designer....but that is only if I know they use sweat shops or some thing. I know that does not apply to The Row but it is a example of how people some times base their purchases off of the designer.

It's true ya know.. many people do often only shop for designers that they know and like.

I'm one of them, I'm not a Versace girl so I will never buy anything from there.

OMG im so excited to see more! I love anything Ashley wears i love her style

- Some people won't even know that's the Olsen's line when they'll buy it ? I mean, when you buy something, you don't look at first what designer it is but if you like the piece, no ?

the market that drops this much on clothes, KNOWS their fashion news for the most part.

think about what proenza schouler was able to do with their target line...
they didn't have the top silks, etc., but they were still able to put together pieces that were affordable yet reflected their aesthetic and that they were happy with...

Did you try on any of the proenza schouler pieces at target? the fabric was terrible! It was so uncomfortable and scratchy and the fits were weird. The pieces managed to photograph well and reflected a certain aesthetic but the quality was certainly not there. I'd rather pay higher prices for quality pieces (no matter WHO designed them) that fit me well and look good on me then stock up on junk. But thats just me.

Also the prices quoted in that article were the most expensive range. Most of the range is well, WELL under that price. So for that part, it's skewed. I go to indie designers over here who will have $400 tees and $2500 dresses. Maybe they're just hoping that somebody will like the dress and the design concept to pay that much, and if not then they'll just slash the price in the sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paintnitelife
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->