The Row S/S 11 Paris

I just can't give them the credit everyone thinks they deserve. Only 15 pieces? They shield themselves behind this exclusive presentation style so they don't have to face the same criticisms as other designers who put on full runway shows. By making their shows exclusive they can get buyers and editors one on one and work the Olsen magic.

They don't have the design knowledge to create these clothes. They have used their wealth and connections to surround themselves with the best talent to construct their pieces then are given full credit because they know how many stitches are in the seam or whatever. They should know those things since I'm sure whoever they are paying to construct their clothes had to explain it to them.

If they weren't the Olsen's people would simply go buy Rick Owens and this would be just one of many other minimalist collections. Instead people are acting like they are revolutionizing fashion and doing something no other trained designer has thought of. Like OMG well-made basics-- no one else has EVER done that before.

i have to agree with loladonna on this one. as i am an olsens fan to an extent i do believe that their brand in general is way too overrated. i can only imagine that being a celebrity must make your legitimacy in the fashion industry much harder but no one can deny that with looking at their clothing they have quite a biased eye. i look at this current collection and can only imagine that if a relatively unknown designer had produced the exact same 15 peoples, half the people on this thread wouldn't have given it so much praise.
lets not forget that the olsen's have a design team that does much of the designing and get none of the credit... as most major designers do.

I love it. Every single piece. It feels so light. Comfortable. I love that pale pink. And that long white dress [#8] looks divine. I love how it's cut.

Two "meh" points: the 6th looks seems to come out of nowhere and the photography is so bad!

Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen presented their new pale pink georgette dresses with hoods and trumpet hems, and satin-back crepe blazers for The Row in a nearly empty house on the Left Bank. To their neutral palette, they’ve added pink and coral, with vintage slides from Manolo Blahnik. The lines are a bit looser this season, the quality of the finishing and the fit seems that much higher (Ashley Olsen said it was their main objective), and the clothes, not unlike the sisters, betray very little eagerness to be noticed.

- NYTIMES.COM

I just can't give them the credit everyone thinks they deserve. Only 15 pieces? They shield themselves behind this exclusive presentation style so they don't have to face the same criticisms as other designers who put on full runway shows. By making their shows exclusive they can get buyers and editors one on one and work the Olsen magic.

They don't have the design knowledge to create these clothes. They have used their wealth and connections to surround themselves with the best talent to construct their pieces then are given full credit because they know how many stitches are in the seam or whatever. They should know those things since I'm sure whoever they are paying to construct their clothes had to explain it to them.

If they weren't the Olsen's people would simply go buy Rick Owens and this would be just one of many other minimalist collections. Instead people are acting like they are revolutionizing fashion and doing something no other trained designer has thought of. Like OMG well-made basics-- no one else has EVER done that before.

I disagree. One, I think you're reading far too much into their approach to the brand. Two, they've never claimed nor will they ever to be a revolution or something completely original. Nothing is original, everything is just a variation of something already done. The 'originals' are just reinventing the basics and pushing them to the extreme.

As for their lack of talent and relying on those around them, all designers went to school to learn their craft or were taught by someone. I don't understand why you'd point out the Olsens had to learn, everyone does. No one is an exception to learning, even Yves Saint Laurent himself had to learn from someone.

Lastly, I do think there was a hole in the market when it came to exceptionally well made, luxurious and tailored basics. These women are not reinventing the wheel, they're putting out beautiful, opulent and minimal basics. Keep in mind they only have about fifteen employees and one office, they're not a mass-production company.

focused, measured, austere, gorgeous. isabel marant should take note, this is how to fold that pale pink into one's aesthetic without showing one's seams. these clothes have a strong heart beat, but a quiet whisper. and in today's over-saturated and over-hyped world, that's an amazing feat. and for all of the haters, the clothes literally speak for themselves. if all you can do is criticize the designers at the helm, it just proves how strong this collection is on the merits: compare this collection to that of william rast, victoria beckham, and others. this has a quality that even some full-fledged designers lack.

From a French seam to mining a seam of spare elegance good enough to stand up to be being shown in France. That’s what went through the mind Sunday at The Row’s intimate appointment-only presentation at a hôtel particulier on the Rue de l’Universite on the Left Bank in Paris. It’s unlikely anyone would have ever imagined, least of all the two sisters behind the label, that The Row would come this far. Back when Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen launched the label in 2007, they began by turning out carefully wrought French-seamed T-shirt dressing. From there, they developed it into a collection that covers every aspect of what a woman could possibly want to wear: ineffably cool leather jackets, androgynous shirts, louche tuxedo jackets, trousers made by traditional tailoring methods so that they retain something of their menswear origins, and leggings cleverly constructed with that most miraculous design—they never sagged or drooped.

Since then, The Row has become the source of basics that are so well-crafted they defy that very description. And because the Olsens themselves are such perceptive, avid, and canny consumers of fashion, they have a keen eye as to how to make the proportions of their clothes simultaneously connected to the moment and yet somehow also timeless. More surprising is how everywoman the two sisters have made the label, given how original and idiosyncratic their personal style is. Who’d have thought that they would have taken on the more problematic, and prosaic, issues of designing for women? But they have, and perhaps they’ve worked so assiduously so that they'd never be tagged with that dreaded appellation "celebrity designers." They’ve certainly demonstrated a knack for turning out more than a few pieces that are non-ageist and non-sizeist, and can be personalized and worn every which way.

There is definitely plenty of that for spring, on the strength of the fifteen looks they showed—while also managing to brilliantly distill the general cut and thrust of the season ahead. They switched from a sinuous dress created out of two pieces of bias-cut ivory satin-back crepe, to an exquisite shell-pink silk tie-front shirt worn with a matching chiffon skirt whose cut spiraled around the body, to a smoking jacket the color of pale pinky-beige LeClerc base powder, to a dusky pink silk dévoré slip that rippled and clung and undulated in all the right (and most flattering) ways. Can we just say that in a season where so many designers showed yards and yards of sheer expose-every-single-part-of-your-body chiffon, these two were among the very, very few who thought a lining might be a good idea? Or to give a long skirt (they’re feeling for them too, like almost everyone else; they’ve certainly worn a few in their time) a zipper at the split, so that the depth of the reveal can be controlled? It’s in those small, thoughtful gestures that you can gauge how good their clothes are. And this collection was chock-full of really, really good clothes.
- VOGUE.COM

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lt3motorsportz
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->