The Row : from Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen #2

Fashion's New Order
By ERIC WILSON and CATHY HORYN

Today's power players have one thing in common: whether part of the establishment or nascent forces, they have changed the way we see fashion in the 21st century.

MARY-KATE AND ASHLEY OLSEN: Winning the Council of Fashion Designers of America award this spring as women’s wear designers of the year cemented the reputation of Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen as real fashion designers, not just celebrity designers. Also, they made the Starbucks coffee cup an acceptable fashion accessory.
- NYTIMES.COM

Is this mentioned before? Ileana Makri is designing fine jewelry for them. You could check them on mytheresa's site.

Damien Hirst & The Row collaborate
Damien-Hirst-x-The-Row-Capsule-Collection-09-630x420.jpg

Damien-Hirst-x-The-Row-Capsule-Collection-18-630x420.jpg

Damien-Hirst-x-The-Row-Capsule-Collection-02-630x420.jpg

highsnobiety

Just One Eye is pleased to announce an exciting new project with renowned artist Damien Hirst and 2012 CFDA award winners The Row - the first in a series of curated artistic partnerships.

"We are longtime admirers of both Damien and The Row’s work,” explains Just One Eye co-founder Paola Russo, "and our main focus here is to nurture work between artists working in different mediums. We couldn’t have dreamed of a better way to debut this series of partnerships."

The resulting project is a fascinating study in contrasts; the classic elegance of The Row’s black patent, Nile crocodile leather backpack, adorned by the rebellious hand of Hirst.

Created in a limited edition of 12 and with a portion of each sale to benefit UNICEF, these works blur the line between high art and high fashion. Signed by the artist, each backpack features uniquely individual embellishments, from an assortment of prescription pills, to Hirst’s signature spots. "We are thrilled to be part of this project with Just One Eye”, add Ashley and Mary-Kate Olsen, “their unique approach on artistic collaborations is always inspirational".

Offering a wide array of fashion, art, and objects, Just One Eye is a new retail and e-commerce experience, striving to promote established designers alongside groundbreaking young creatives.
http://justoneeye.com/features/damien-hirst-and-the-row

The bags are incredibly repulsive and looks like it was designed to himuliate the person who buys it.

If that's what the statement is suppose to be with the bags then the collaborator did a good job on it, however to me it looks cheap & tasteless.

Last edited by a moderator:
The bags are incredibly repulsive and looks like it was designed to himuliate the person who buys it.

If that's what the statement is suppose to be with the bags then the collaborator did a good job on it, however to me it looks cheap & tasteless.

it's damien hirst, you can't expect anything different. He's a natural provocateur.

I quite like the Damien Hirst bags, aside from the gold leaf(?) one.

I think this is primarily targeted at people who understand the collaboration and more importantly people who have an interest in both fashion and fine art, I do love the idea behind it and also the added bonus that it will benefit UNICEF.

I agree with you Gergin, I think it's utterly tacky in every sense of the world. Let alone, who in their right mind would think a bag decorated with pills is a good fit for UNICEF!?! We can't divulge into politics on tFS, but HELLO do a little research into their causes, I can't even believe they would agree to be associated with this :blink:

it's a very limited edition (12 pieces) so I guess the collaboration is done to apeal to someone that loves luxury and contemporary art mixed together, the kind of person that also buys LV collaborations with artist (which are as tacky as this one).
I can see the nonsense of UNICEF matching with this project... but I also see some nonsense in between The Row aesthetic statement (classy, atemporal and timeless) and Damien Hirst (short-lived, provocatived and popular).

yeah but LV collaboration bags were never offered at $35 & 55k. in fact,seeing this kind of absurd excess in a time where people can't indulge even a morsel,actually makes me long for those days when we used to bemoan a $15k price tag for a silly balenciaga bag or LV bags. what is wrong with this industry? i mean it's no wonder this business is never taken seriously by people outside of it's sphere because the luxury world and celebrity have literally made a mockery of it.

and truth be told they look like crap. they look like coach knock offs that somebody glued appliques onto.

yeah but LV collaboration bags were never offered at $35 & 55k. in fact,seeing this kind of absurd excess in a time where people can't indulge even a morsel,actually makes me long for those days when we used to bemoan a $15k price tag for a silly balenciaga bag or LV bags. what is wrong with this industry? i mean it's no wonder this business is never taken seriously by people outside of it's sphere because the luxury world and celebrity have literally made a mockery of it.

and truth be told they look like crap. they look like coach knock offs that somebody glued appliques onto.

I agree with you that they look like crap but Hermes and Bottega and Louis Vuitton are all offering alligator-bags in the same price range, yet somebody is hating on them because they are 'heritage-labels'
Louis Vuitton has one of the highest profit-margins in the industry and thus is the most overpriced of them all, at least the profits here are going to UNICEF (at least they say so)

I agree with you that they look like crap but Hermes and Bottega and Louis Vuitton are all offering alligator-bags in the same price range, yet somebody is hating on them because they are 'heritage-labels'
Louis Vuitton has one of the highest profit-margins in the industry and thus is the most overpriced of them all, at least the profits here are going to UNICEF (at least they say so)

*Snap*

at least? and they could have only attached that so they could justify those prices. and mind you,it's only going to be a portion though thejarc.

if you actually look at this thing and compare with those bags similar to it in style and range,this is exorbitantly more expensive than any of the others are and yes especially considering this is not coming from a luxury house but another p-a-p brand whose market is quite broad. essentially it's like saying what they do is above say like dries van noten who's never charged anywhere above 5k for a handbag and the equivalent of hermes. you don't find that in the slightest ridiculously egocentric?

all i can say is,i'm sure you'll have a few wealthy fashion victims falling for it and they wouldn't have even needed the charity to do that.

They are ridiculously overpriced. Even a Rick Owens Crocodile leather jacket went less for a bag and was priced $10,000, if I remember correctly. Just because The Row have collaborated with Damien Hirst and may be a piece of 'art', still doesn't justify the price. It's not like it was carefully crafted and the Haute Couture of handbags...

The Damien Hirst collaboration is interesting, I like the bags in their playfulness. The classic croc next to ridiculous pill appliques is such a bizarre combination it kind of works, if only at creating a conversation piece of a bag. But that price tag...:huh: I was watching the news the other day and they ran a story on the bag, really tried to make the fashion industry out as a bunch of fools.

I hope the 'undisclosed amount' to charity is a good portion. That much $$$ is like carting around a museum piece on your back, and while enthusiasts with more money than mind are willing to spend it's nice to think some good will come out of the excess.

They are ridiculously overpriced. Even a Rick Owens Crocodile leather jacket went less for a bag and was priced $10,000, if I remember correctly. Just because The Row have collaborated with Damien Hirst and may be a piece of 'art', still doesn't justify the price. It's not like it was carefully crafted and the Haute Couture of handbags...

But for people interested in Fine Art would see this as a steal since one of Damien's dot prints start at $16,000 and his prices only elevate the more intricate or one of a kind they are so this is (sadly) justifiable in the world of Fine Art.

the row’s cover-star fisherman sweater takes 90 hours to make

wmmhon.png

there’s nothing i love so much as a soft, cozy, oversized sweater. Just ask my boyfriend, i steal his on the regular. So when i saw look 15 float down the stairs of an upper east side townhouse during the row’s fall 2014 presentation last february, i was smitten.

It was a simple look: White fisherman sweater, white pants. But like everything the row does, the concept is simple but the execution is anything but. I went to visit that sweater up close at the row’s press day–the cable-knit pattern is incredibly detailed and there are actual pleats in the shoulders–something i’ve never seen before. (it also probably weighs about five pounds).

I think stylist anastasia barbieri must feel the same way about this sweater. She put natalia vodianova in it for the june cover of wsj. Magazine, despite the fact that it’s pretty seasonally inappropriate.

it’s a special sweater, so we checked in with the row to find out the story behind it, and how something that luxe and that intricate gets made.

“the idea of a rare comfort was essential to the collection and this new interpretation of a classic fisherman sweater personifies that,” the row tells us. “each sweater is hand knit in new york and takes over 90 hours to create. The complexity of the design pushed the craftsmanship of cable knitting to new heights.”

a price point hasn’t been set yet
but i think it’s safe to say the row’s fisherman sweater will remain my dream sweater, while i continue to troll thrift stores for old irish aran jumpers.

- fashionista.com

the row's first boutique is coming to melrose place

this just in: a trusted tipster tells us that the row, the luxury apparel and accessory label founded by very busy mary-kate and ashley olsen, has selected la for its first-ever store location. No word on opening date, but we do have a location: 8444 melrose place.

the stylist twins founded the ny-based brand in 2006 with a mission to support high-end fashion manufacturing in the us. Known for rolling out super-chic, super-pricey styles that range from minimalist to conceptual, the row continues to reel in scores of fan and even landed the girls a 2012 cfda award for womenswear designers of the year.

Once they settle into their new home, the row will be a stone's throw away from equally-awesome melrose place destinations like equipment, isabel marant and alfred coffee & kitchen. Stay tuned for much more.

- la.racked.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->