The rules of flats

Fashion Puss

Reaction score
Taken from Vogue.co.uk:

WHAT Lisa Armstrong says, she means, and this week she's telling us that flat shoes are very much back. The Times style doyenne advises this morning that we should start flirting with flats during the summer ready for a winter that promises to keep both feet very much on the ground. "Ballet pumps are perfect for days when you don't want to go bare toed and when youre feet are ikilling you because those canvas wedges that felt so comfortable in the shop are in fact ripping your feet to shreds," she says. "Alternatively, Roger Vivier's relaunched Belle de Jour pumps (the buckled principle boy shoes that Catherine Deneuve wore in Luis Bunuel's subversive film) are pretty damn chic."

So, here are the flat rules:

1. Gypsy skirts should never be worn with heels. "It will only end in tears and a David Walliams-in-laydee-drag moment," says Lisa. "Flouncy and full skirts need wedges. So do shorts and miniskirts. Failing wedges, it has to be flats."

2. There was a time when high heels and miniskirts looked fine. But, then, so did visible Wonderbras.

3. Go for Audrey Hepburn-style ballet shoes, Nicole Kidman pointy-toed slippers (Vivier again), wierdie Antwerp art student hoof-shaped ones, or Marc Jacobs' mouse flats (now a fully blown classic).

4. Height isn't everything. Otherwise John Redwood would be on the cover of Vogue more often than Kate Moss.

5. For most women, the only thing that doesn't work with flats is a pencil skirt – and jeans if your legs are short.

6. Renegotiate your notions of sexuality. In the 18th century flat slippers, intimately associated with the boudoir, were considered highly erotic. Deneuve didn't do so badly in the erotic stakes in her patent flats.

Picture:
Marc Jacobs, spring/summer 2005
© Marcio Madeira/VOGUE.COM

Attachments

• mjacobsFlatShoesYooxB.jpg
    mjacobsFlatShoesYooxB.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited by a moderator:
i'm feeling it...that's for sure...^_^...
thanks miss puss...

:flower:

i adore flats:heart:

they are so comfy and seem to go with most things in my wardrobe! they are definetly my favourite type of shoes and love the different varieties you can get. from cute ballet flats to pointy flats and my current fave canvas flats:wub:

I have always had trouble with my feet..
I'm incapable of wearing heels for life, but you can feel sexy in flats too.
Praise them! :heart: them!!
:P :D

I do wear heels but not often because I have weak ankles. I love flat ballet slippers, I get most of mine from French Sole.

I :heart: :heart: :heart: flats!!

But I'm not sure about the no heels w/ gypsy skirt rule. I have a 3-tiered skirt that is gypsy-ish and it looks great w/ ankle strap heeled sandals and a slim top. It's my salsa outfit!!

So, what to ye stylists think? Is that a fashion no-no?

I adore my flats, and wear them pretty much...well, constantly. ^_^ :heart: :heart: :heart: they are a definitive part of my personal style.

I am of 'average' height, but I find a cute pair of flats inspires gives me more confidence than a pair of heels would. it is like saying, "I'm already confident in myself, therefore I don't need heels." they are feminine, quirky, sweet, and conveniently allow you to leap over puddles and dance freely when the moment calls for it. :wink:

I like flats very much: flat sandals, flat boots, and absolutely :heart: ballet flats. I think they can go with everything. I wear them with jeans, cropped pants miniskirts and minidresses, and knee-lenght skirts and dresses.

I wear flats most of the time as I have short legs so they make my legs look longer.

Great article. I love flats...especially since I'm 5'10!

I think these are so cute!
p31_x_et142_x_large.jpg

i love flats. i wear them all the time. :heart:
i'm short & actually don't like feeling tall :lol:
i feel cute & sweet when i'm my small self. haha

"High heels. I like high heels."
-American Psycho-
(and most males in the world)

Curious said:
I :heart: :heart: :heart: flats!!

But I'm not sure about the no heels w/ gypsy skirt rule. I have a 3-tiered skirt that is gypsy-ish and it looks great w/ ankle strap heeled sandals and a slim top. It's my salsa outfit!!

So, what to ye stylists think? Is that a fashion no-no?

Your look sounds great! When in doubt, go to the source: in this case, flamenco dancers. If they can do it, so can you.

I think the article means more specifically the calf length full bohemian skirts that are everywhere this year. You need something more substantial than a skinny heel on your feet to balance the look, either a wedge, or your foot flat on the ground.

I :heart: :heart: :heart: flats ! I'm not wearing often heels , I prefer flats, cos they are so comfortable!

I feel way too tall in heels and most often wear flats. I'll never understand how other girls can walk around the city all day in heels. When you have no car and need to walk everywhere, I don't see how one has a choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cg1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->