Replace ballet flats with?

Sometimes I think platforms are harder to walk in than stilettos...
to much clunk on my feet F's me up!

640737_frt

These are amazing!

anthropologie.com

^ Cute concept but design wise, definetly not for me.

I don't really get this concept of writing off flats altogether to find an 'alternative'.

If this is a question to solve the problem of getting away from a 'trend' or 'played out' as you put it, then I just don't really see flats as that. Ballet shoes and all manners of flats have been part of my wardrobe since I started buying my own shoes (when I was 12...). They're an integral part of my shoe collection the same as boots, heels, platforms and wedges...it's just a basic shoe type right? Why replace then? Isn't it more like enhancing/mixing up your shoe styles then?

susie_bubble said:
I don't really get this concept of writing off flats altogether to find an 'alternative'.

If this is a question to solve the problem of getting away from a 'trend' or 'played out' as you put it, then I just don't really see flats as that. Ballet shoes and all manners of flats have been part of my wardrobe since I started buying my own shoes (when I was 12...). They're an integral part of my shoe collection the same as boots, heels, platforms and wedges...it's just a basic shoe type right? Why replace then? Isn't it more like enhancing/mixing up your shoe styles then?

I totally agree! ^_^ I wouldn't replace sweaters, or pants, why would I replace flats? Why_Fashion if other people are wearing ballet flats and it bothers you, you could find yourself a unique pair, or customize your own so it wouldn't be a problem anymore. Or maybe you could just wear them in different ways/situations then everyone else! :flower:

^in response to susie bubble's post, see mine on the first page at the top^_^
and it's been descided that the cinversation is about ballet flats, right?

I don't think Curious got around to changing the title, so i will..:flower:

Oh, thought of something else for you Why_Fashion. I don't have any ballet flats, so I wear a pair of moccassains (sp) all the time. They are a really faded pink with some beads on them. You could try something like that! :flower:

Flats are classic! Style comes not from wearing different items each time they become popular but wearing what you love over and over again.

how about low heel maryjanes or flat (!) equestrian boots? the latter are my favourite for winter. i have simple shiny almond toe equestrian boots in black and my beloved vintage rattlesnake flat boots, almond toe, too, and a rich brown. :heart: flat boots.

Pastry said:
^in response to susie bubble's post, see mine on the first page at the top^_^
and it's been descided that the cinversation is about ballet flats, right?

I don't think Curious got around to changing the title, so i will..:flower:

Thank you!

The mistake is embrassing for me..... :blush: :blush: :blush:

but I am just looking for new comfortable shoe ideas......

IMO, I don't think flats are out... just the style of flats latley. I'm hoping some new styles come out soon because I really don't want to give up wearing them. they are so comfortable!

i think before flats were in, women wore sneakers in public--- now that rarely happens. so---unless one wears flat boots all the time, or sandals-- women will need a comfy everyday show or option to heels. technically you can't even wear nice heels in the st. it ruins them... will we be carrying other sheos in our purse always? or just spending a fortune in cabs?

I do agree and sympathise with why_fashion's problem

I recently threw out all my ballet flats as a) they were so tattered and worn from all the walking I do around london, especially in the rain etc but also b) they ARE overdone. They have become very trendy in a Topshop, teenage girl way, and whilst that's fine, I want a look that is a little more sophisticated

However, I cannot walk in heels, and even if I could, it would be silly to wear them considering how far I walk every day.
I want to look smart/casual, eg. something I can wear with jeans but still look 'put together' and not look kiddy.

My father recently told me that the ballet flats I wore were very childish, and I must say, I do agree with him. I think that once you leave your young teenage years, ballet flats are tricky to pull off. I want to branch away from the student look, but not get too boring!

Last edited by a moderator:
i really think the trick is to do flats but not ballet flats

See I do ballet flats, but they lace up around the ankles. I'll pair them with a circle skirt and blouse or skinny jeans and tank top for the dancer look. I don't see as many of the normal ones though, I see way more trainers and Uggs (I work in a mall so believe me I see it all).

If you're only wearing it with trendier pieces then yes it can look played out however if you are going for a certain type of look then you can do it anytime you want.

gia0202 said:
i really think the trick is to do flats but not ballet flats
I agree. i know they are semi-classic but I think we;ve hit the saturation point. Remember a while back everyone wore those beaded moroccan slippers? I think ballet flats replaced them when skinny jeans and mod styles replaced boho. What I want now are some flats with a slight pointed toe and an ankle strap, but not quite mary-janes. Like this:
_5330318.jpg

nordstrom.com
p229960b.jpg

urbanoutfitters.com

image1l.jpg

asos.com

That's just what I want next personally.....

I hardly think my Lanvin flats are played out, or have a student look...especially at over $500 a pair. I can afford these and I'm a student but I do not represent a typical student. Maybe the ones with little bows or whatever have a younger look but to me the plain ones are just plain rounded toe flats, not little girlie shoes. They're classic and I'm going to wear them forever. It's like saying the pointy toe stiletto pump is played out just because everybody is wearing it at the moment.

For 30cm of snow...snow boots. Bring along a pair of shoes to change into indoors if you like.

Sometimes I feel as if I'm one of the few people here living in the "real world" and a lot of people have lost touch with it. :innocent:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amywhiffen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->