The Tennis Thread

LOL, it's funny by now. They just don't know how to handle anything, as if they make up rules for every new case and even than those rules seem shaky. Like they're trying to look less and less credible on purpose.

you know,if i were in the residing court system that rules on these sort of issues i would really love to have a look into how the ITF(and WADA mind you) is handling tennis and situations of bias. because to me this just screams bias. they are truly making a mockery of this sport.

This reporter is pretty scathing about the Odesnik case
tennis.fanhouse.com

And I gather Roddick said he should be kicked out of tennis.

wow that writer expresses exactly how i feel.

did anybody catch the andalucia final? they didn't broadcast it here so i feel rather deprived. seemed like a good match.

^a bit of it. unfortunately i wake up too late to catch the early matches that are on. i have to get my sleep clock back on track again otherwise i'll miss most of the clay season. i did get to see verdasco though avenge that loss to berdych in miami today. of course,verdasco is better on clay than berdych i feel. tomas' missile serve and shots just don't penetrate the court like they do on a HC and it gave verdasco a lot of time retrieve and set up. and tomas' serve was definitely off today.

Verdasco made it to the semis, in three sets though. Spaniards are on a roll, great tournament for them and great to see JCF still playing well and having best season in years. He didn't have a chance against Rafa though.
Đoković seems pretty strong too, looks like it was a good decision to stop working with Martin.

Watching Charleston right now, Petrova-Wozniacki, should be good. But MAN, how much I hate the surface there. It's ridiculous, would it hurt to put the normal clay?

^your question mirrors my own. i don't really understand green or blue american clay! i mean,it's still requires almost the same maintenance red clay does. but i don't like it because it's thinner and slicker than red clay(much more dangerous on the ankles and knees as we saw last year when zvonareva twisted hers) and i just don't see how that prepares players for the remaining clay events in europe and RG. egads,even the men's event in houston,texas has proper red clay.

hurrah though for today! i got to see some men's matches because of the rain delay. the remainder of rafa's match was very good....i thought toward the end JC made it a bit more competitive. nole looked very good but obviously he was able to do so because david was completely off his game. there were some moments there where i thought he could make it a match but he blew it so much when he had chances.

i have to say though in agreement with you ana,it's really nice to see the veterans playing so well again. nalbandian is back.....JCF is finding some old form.

btw,i so miss davydenko and del potro! J-M hasn't played since australia. i hope he and koyla return soon.

disappointing comments made by yanina wickmayer's father--

"Why does Justine want to play? Because the tie takes place in Belgium and to increase her popularity in Flanders? If it is still there next year, will she go to Russia or the Czech Republic?"

now i understand(from my own experience being in belgium myself and research before-hand)that there is a certain bitterness between the two regions because of the division but one would think somebody could rise above all that in the best interest of the sport and belgium's presence in this sport! and as long as she's keen,one would think having justine there would be a no-brainer.

i wonder what yanina herself feels about this. she's obviously hasn't made any negative comments about it.

all i know is that i am so glad coaches and parents are barred from fed cup events!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching Charleston right now, Petrova-Wozniacki, should be good. But MAN, how much I hate the surface there. It's ridiculous, would it hurt to put the normal clay?

I've never played on red clay but I have played on green clay and I quite liked it. Having said that, it doesn't look very nice on TV compared to the brick dust.

and now caroline has injured her ankle! and it was against zvonareva and at charleston....weird irony there.

i dunno i've never played on green clay before because here it's usually designed for clubs rather than public courts,but from everything i've heard about it,it's basically a thin layer of green clay on top of a similar surface that HC's are designed. i think that's part of the reason why lindsay davenport was so dominant at the former amelia island but never found any success on red clay. they just have a different feel.

wow was sam in the zone today! i felt bad for vera because she tried everything till she had that outburst but couldn't seem ruffle sam's rhythm. it got a bit closer there after vera held at 1/3 but i think same was just too focused today. her biggest title thus far and she will be back in the top 10 again. and also perhaps carrying a bit momentum and confidence into the bigger events at stuttgart,rome and madrid. i also think sam may also be a dark horse favourite for RG if she continues playing well.

Soooooo happy today :clap:
Did you guys watch the final? Painful for Verdasco but yeah RAFA :clap: Happy that he felt good, played better and got his win....love him! :heart:

I guess the lack of air travel in Europe will cause some serious problems for at least Barcelona and who knows how long!

Didn't see the match but that's a devastating result for Nadal. Verdasco must have been shell-shocked. Rafa is truly the king of Monte Carlo and looking dangerous on clay once more.

miu miu,that's what i was thinking watching charleston today too. they are going to have real problems catching flights out unless everything is deemed safe soon enough. and sam particularly is supposed to be preparing for fed cup this week and then russian squad is supposed to be travelling to the states.

but yeah i was sort of sad for fernando today. i guess it must be what it's like when one has to face rafa on clay,especially brutal for a countryman and a good friend. bless him though because he did try but i feel like he pressed a bit too much and he made a lot of mistakes because of it.

i was however very impressed with fernando this week and especially the way he dismantled nole so convincingly. nole has such a dominating record against him so it was nice to see verdasco get the win.

Last edited by a moderator:
well,i wish i could be posting saying that i was at fed cup but alas no....unfortunately i didn't have the money to attend. i still can't believe it's in my neck of the woods though....it's a bit surreal.

really nice story though from this past week when the american players were giving a clinic to some of the youngsters around town and both elena dementieva and alla kudryavtseva both participated as well. very classy. of course i wouldn't expect less from lena whatsoever.

and i know it sounds really awful(and probably a good thing i didn't attend....HA!)but i am very glad elena got through. it was much tougher than the score i think. i thought bethanie gave her some moments but couldn't quite pull it out on the most crucial points.

oh my i just found out kim tore a muscle in her foot and will be out of action for three to six weeks! that's too bad though for kim especially in how she graciously made herself available for the tie. i hope but i'm not confident she will be healthy enough for RG. she certainly won't be match tough if she does.

so now justine with her broken left pinkie finger made herself available but was beaten by kanepi in three sets. so now everything will be down to yanina to pull them 3/1. however she just lost the first set but given yanina's record this season she's had a lot of three-setters which she eventually won. let's hope for three so belgium can get back into the world group.

as for the other ties....a resounding romp for the italians to get back to the final again. wow are they impressive.

and serbia....i feel really bad for jelena because she's had to pretty much carry the weight of expectation on her shoulders this weekend. she lost earlier to daniela(who somehow seems to be finding a range again)but her teammate bojana just won the first set of the final singles match.

Rome is shaping up quite nicely for me - any of you guys watching? ^_^

^ I am.
I'm still stunned by Gulbis! I remember expecting big things from him few years ago when he first came on the tour, but then he disappeared. So now I'm hoping again that he'll manage to make some good results.
Đoković-Verdasco in the next round should be good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haleyabhdisjsbw209
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->