The tFS Book Club (please see rules/guidelines in post #1)

So am I the only one who likes the idea of discussing it chapter by chapter? I think it would be more like a group thing, discussing the whole book reminds me too much of book websites like goodreads or amazon even.

I prefer this too, as I almost always lose my train of thought when I write long essays. So as an unwritten consensus to those who aren't in favor of this idea, we can discuss each chapter as we please provided we use white text so as not to spoil the reading pleasure of some who are still reading the book. Chapters can be discussed like maybe once every 2-3 days or something.

Anyway this is just my thought regarding this issue. ^_^

So am I the only one who likes the idea of discussing it chapter by chapter? I think it would be more like a group thing, discussing the whole book reminds me too much of book websites like goodreads or amazon even.

I like Belowen's idea of a discussion of the book upon its completion. But, I prefer the idea of reading and discussing chapter by chapter because then I wouldn't be so apt to put off my reading til the last minute if I knew I had a deadline approaching. What do you all think?

Then at the end of the month discussion can take place, and a new book can be chosen at the beginning of the next month.

Does anyone know of a good/randomized/fair way of doing this? :huh: stannerslove and I were thinking that whoever gets to choose the title gets to pick the next member to choose the next book. But, I feel that this idea wouldn't allow some users to get their book chosen for a while if books get rotated every month which seems like not a long time. (But, this can all depend on the length of the book: Anna Karenina versus Night by Elie Wiesel, for example.)

Personally, as of now, I think the beginning date of August 9 is when we can begin discussing the book so that there is plenty of time for other users to find a copy of the text.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. :flower:

Chapters can be discussed like maybe once every 2-3 days or something.

I like this idea, and I think it may be the best way to go. The only problem would be that for users who do choose to read ahead would need to specify which sections of the books they are discussing. For example:

SPOILER: Chapters 1-3 ...

Chapter 1 made me feel...
I can't believe she did that in Chapter 2!
Whatever is going on between blah and bleh in Chapter 3 is just...

And thinking more on the idea of a book a month, I think that may be too long. I would at least like to get in 2 books each month which I think is very possible. ^_^

^Thats a good idea. You can discuss it while you read it but in white. But end of the month we have that big discussion, right?Before we start the new one. Also i like the poll one.

I think the poll idea would work, but how would we decide which titles get to make the poll? :unsure:

maybe each member can suggest one book/month and then there's a poll for a few days and we have the "winner" book?
we could send a pm with the book title to one member and that person makes a post which gives a little info on each book (what it's about) ...i could do that if no one else wants to do it.

and we could maybe say approximately 1 week/100 pages? so if we choose a book with 200 pages we have the discussion after two weeks (or with white spoilers for the poeple who want to discuss each chapter). that should give everyone enough time to read.
if we notice that most of us read quickly we can still change that.

maybe each member can suggest one book/month and then there's a poll for a few days and we have the "winner" book?

Maybe a first come, first serve basis? Whoever is chosen as the new picker of the next book, the first 5 - 10 PMs they receive with book titles get polled?

and we could maybe say approximately 1 week/100 pages?

That isn't a bad idea either. I would prefer chunking the book by chapters and sections instead of pages.

Maybe a first come, first serve basis? Whoever is chosen as the new picker of the next book, the first 5 - 10 PMs they receive with book titles get polled?
either this or we make groups, we're 23 atm so 11-12 in each group and everybody that wants out of that first group can make a suggestion, the next time the other group can make suggestions?

That isn't a bad idea either. I would prefer chunking the book by chapters and sections instead of pages.
i just meant overall. so we don't read one book/month but if we choose a book with 100 pages we only read that book for one week, discussion at the end of the week and during that week whited out per chapter. if we choose a book with 400 pages we'll read it for 4 weeks and again during those 4 weeks whited out per chapter or part. but that's just an idea, when we see that most of us are already finished or need a little longer we can still change it.

There needs to be some standardization and organisation when it comes to these threads -remembering that tFS does have thread policies etc I think it would be a good idea for me to organise the polls for the choice of new books etc. If this is
not ideal let me know.

I think after discussion of the previous book there should be an open call for new book suggestions which I will collate and use to create the poll. That way majority rules. Roger that or i could collate the list and use a random selection website to choose the title.

I would personally veto the idea of 2 books per month, just considering those who wish to participate but have time constraints or other book
commitments (school etc) - we need to make this fair for everyone...

I'm in! I found the book in our local library so I'm gonna borrow it tomorrow. I'm so excited.^_^

When it's decided how we're going to go about it with the book, can it be posted and bolded so everyone knows? I know a lot decisions have to be made and sometimes posts are missed. :smile:

Well we seem to be going in circles so
I have already pinned the topic and will post the guidelines in ye first post of the thread when I get home from work tonight :flower:

Roger that or i could collate the list and use a random selection website to choose the title.

If there is a good way to find a random title that everyone can get their hands on and is available in multiple languages, then yes... I am all for randomizing it. ^_^ How many titles in a poll? 10... ish?

I would personally veto the idea of 2 books per month, just considering those who wish to participate but have time constraints or other book
commitments (school etc) - we need to make this fair for everyone...

I really really want to help make this fair for all, but I might have to fight you on this one. :P I think at least 2 books per month is do-able. Of course, take into account length. If we were to read, say, Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt which is quite a speedy read, I wouldn't expect to spend a month on it. I think we can determine how long we choose to spend on a book depending on its length, no? :flower:

I guess we could work it on a book by book basis as for the length of time given to finish reading before end of book discussions start. ^_^

as for the randomization I meant that I would collate the book suggestions made in this thread, make a numbered list & use something like random.org to select the title...

I like this idea! I've been pushing all my "reading to-do lists" aside...-_-
I think this will definitely help me keep on track.
New member. :smile:

Hi all,

I have posted the rules/guidelines in post #1 - those of you who wish to wait until the 9th to start reading can do so, otherwise feel free to start reading & post your discussions as you go. But please remember to post your discussion in white along with bolded chapter numbers prior to the deadline date of 25/08/10.

Thanks all, and happy reading!

:flower:

I've been meaning to read that book, but just never got around to it! I'll try pick it up at my university's library on Tuesday :smile:

How much time do we have to vote for the next book?

Hi all,

I have posted the rules/guidelines in post #1 - those of you who wish to wait until the 9th to start reading can do so, otherwise feel free to start reading & post your discussions as you go. But please remember to post your discussion in white along with bolded chapter numbers prior to the deadline date of 25/08/10.

Thanks all, and happy reading!

:flower:

Thank you. I just read over the rules, and it all seems grand. ^_^

i like this idea :heart:

would have been a great excuse for me to reread the unbearable lightness of being but i'm going to be away so i think i'm going to miss the discussion...
maybe i'll pack the book in my suitcase anyway :shifty:

thanks B for compiling and organizing the thread rules :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->