The Truth about Modeling Expenses ... Who Really Pays?

This is such an interesting thread. Here I was dreaming of making it big as a model (yes we all have our secret fantasies :P ) but never did I know that there were so many costs! What happens when a model goes catwalking? What does she make and what does the agency hold back on it, by the way?

You can be slim enough and beautiful enough but the problem is there are hundreds out there looking for a spot where there's only a few slots open for "the winners" each season. It is indeed a crazy business.

New girls make little or nothing maybe just clothes unless you get an exclusive. It varies for the big name girls but I imagine the payoff is hugh. ford's take off of the paycheck is 20% and i think that's standard.

Last edited by a moderator:
castings and go sees are real expensive to 'travel' to, much more when one is new to a city and has to see all major clients..

karma for model mom for the excellent thread

Thank you Lena if i can save one model from making all the mistakes we made this will all be worth it. It's good to know what you are getting yourself into before jumping into the game.

What mistakes are you referring to????

As I've discovered over the past 8 months.....there aren't a lot of "All American girls" who are lucky enough to get into the big business...much less a "model mom" who can offer advice to another "model mom". Can you be specific on mistakes you made that we can beware of.

Pretty much everything you see posted here and and what I posted in the "So you want to be a model thread," we learned from trial and error. The mistake is not knowing any of this BEFORE you decide to enter the modeling business with your daughter or son.

Thanks.....I don't want any more surprises!

.....we're learning that all the nickle and diming of messenger fees, portfolio copies, dry cleaning, etc. are part of the business - the expenses that someone has to bear....the model herself and not the agency. In the long run you hope that the pay off will be there and if not you were informed when you signed the contract. It pays have an attorney read through the fine print with you and like you said earlier - KEEP RECEIPTS OF EVERYTHING!

i have even more respect for models now... who knew the industry was so hard. and the most people think that modeling is all "fun and games."

LOVEITALL said:
.....we're learning that all the nickle and diming of messenger fees, portfolio copies, dry cleaning, etc. are part of the business - the expenses that someone has to bear....the model herself and not the agency. In the long run you hope that the pay off will be there and if not you were informed when you signed the contract. It pays have an attorney read through the fine print with you and like you said earlier - KEEP RECEIPTS OF EVERYTHING!

That's a really smart thing to do. You should keep records of everything--how much your rates for each job are, and check them off as you receive payment. It can be really easy to lose track and trust your agency to take care of it for you, but as the model, you need to stay on top of it.

Braces

I'm planning to write off my daughter's braces!

I am not sure what Revenue Canada will say, but she has an agency contract. I wonder if I should get a letter from her agency too, saying that they want her teeth straighter. She has the clear plastic (and removeable) braces (same cost) so she can still work.

Keep those receipts! And make notes about why expenses were incurred. Ask an accountant ahead of time.

That's a really smart thing to do. You should keep records of everything--how much your rates for each job are, and check them off as you receive payment. It can be really easy to lose track and trust your agency to take care of it for you, but as the model, you need to stay on top of it.

correct. Bookkeeping is a must! you can asked your mother (or a guardian) to be your bookkeeper if you feel too overwhelmed with multitasking.

*a model is a subcontractor , like any company it needs a Bookkeeper.

BetteT Here with a Moderator's Note:

I copied and excerpt from this post that bothsidenow posted in the "So You Want to Model" thread .... into this thread.

This part of that article explains one model's expeience with all of that. I"ve highlighted a few of the points which are relevant to this topic of who pays the model's expenses.

Why Modeling Is, Technically Speaking, A ‘Bad Job’
by ASHLEY MEARS
The day I signed with a modeling agency in New York, a manager sat me down to explain the terms of our working relationship. I was excited to be there, even a bit giddy to be signing a modeling contract, but not so much as to miss the crucial terms: in exchange for exclusive representation and a standard 20% commission from my earnings, the agency would promote and manage my modeling career. As managers to the self-employed, agencies arrange opportunities for models to work in exchange for a cut of their success, but they are not liable for models’ failures. A manager explained as much as he handed me the contract, stating, “Here’s where we don’t promise you the moon and the stars, but we’ll do our best to get you there.”

In addition to being a “bad job,” I realized that it’s also an expensive one. Modeling requires extensive start-up and maintenance costs, which agencies incur and deduct from models’ future earnings. These add up quickly. My agencies charged a lot and often for a range of things one would never imagine, from daily bike messenger services to transport books from one client to the next, to the costs of composite cards, and even a charge to include my card in the “Show Package” mailed to Fashion Week casting directors.These expenses were billed against my prospective earnings and automatically deducted from my account.

Foreign models can be deep in debt before they ever start castings in a major city, considering the costs of visas and plane tickets. This means models will not see their first paycheck until they book greater than the sum of their debts.

After signing my contract in January I began working in magazines, catalogues, and shows by the end of the month. I did not get my first check, for $181.06, until mid-April (prior to this I received voided checks clipped onto a page-long list of expenses, many of which didn’t make obvious sense).

A model who leaves an agency with a debt is legally bound by contract to repay it, though agencies don’t often bother to pursue these debts, since failed models are an unlikely source from whom to recoup losses. Instead, agencies write off negative accounts as a business loss.

However, models’ negative accounts will by contact transfer to their next agency should they attempt to model elsewhere, which is unlikely as agencies are hesitant to represent models with existing negative balances from unsuccessful stints at prior agencies.

In other words, once in debt, everywhere in debt. What in some ways resembles indentured servitude is a routine part of this independent contractor agreement.

modelalliance.org

It is true agencies do not take on many applicants these days due to the recession and having to invest in these models to pay for their portfolios, snap shots, etc. So basically a lot of models who hand in applications to agencies or walk in because they don't already have a good established portfolio even with potential they will be rejected and very few models are scouted because perhaps they have quirky looks. Not all models appear quirky. The books of some agencies show that. I would certainly say the reason why a lot of models even with potential get rejected is because the agencies do not wish to invest in them due to expenses.

You could very well be correct that the agencies are reducing the number of new models they take on due to the recession.

But it's not because they are "investing" in these models. Agencies don't actually "pay" all those expenses ... they only loan the model the money to travel, to live abroad, to produce a good portfolio, etc. The model must pay them back.

If you want to verify this, just read the excerpt from an article, that I brought in to this forum because it's applicable to this topic and so you could see it: Post #35, above.

I thought it was an investment cause they don't mention anything about a loan. I thought agencies make this money back through the 20% they get from a model's work.
Money is used to pray for test shoots to photographers in order to produce a portfolio and perhaps paying for travels to sign to other agencies.

Nope ... that's a very common myth and it's not true. That is exactly why Model Mom started this thread ... because she had a daughter who went though all of that and had some success ... but they quickly discoved that she had to pay for her own expenses. So she wanted other aspiring models to understand the way it works.

And that is why I posted the article above ... another model who didn't understand what the deal was when she signed the contract.

Models are "self employed", beleive it or not. And they "hire" an agency to find them work ... and pay the agency a commission when that actually happens. (No, it's not a simple as walking into an agency and "hiring" the agency ... it has to be mutually agreed upon and the agency is extremely choosy about who they work for ... but agencies work for the model, not the other way around.) So ... because they own their own businesses, models must pay their own expensese as any business owner would do.

It's all laid out in the contract, so it behooves a model to really read the fine print before signing.

Nope ... that's a very common myth and it's not true. That is exactly why Model Mom started this thread ... because she had a daughter who went though all of that and had some success ... but they quickly discoved that she had to pay for her own expenses. So she wanted other aspiring models to understand the way it works.

And that is why I posted the article above ... another model who didn't understand what the deal was when she signed the contract.

Models are "self employed", beleive it or not. And they "hire" an agency to find them work ... and pay the agency a commission when that actually happens. (No, it's not a simple as walking into an agency and "hiring" the agency ... it has to be mutually agreed upon and the agency is extremely choosy about who they work for ... but agencies work for the model, not the other way around.) So ... because they own their own businesses, models must pay their own expensese as any business owner would do.

It's all laid out in the contract, so it behooves a model to really read the fine print before signing.

I guess I was too busy thinking it was the other way round that agencies choose the model and not that she employs them to do a job for her- find her work and they get their commission by taking 20% off her earnings. Okay well that sounds great. So basically any model with a professionally established portfolio may hire an agency to find her work and they could likely agree seems though they are pleased with the photography and the photos she has in her book and in her own polaroids or in the fact she already has money then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->