How Much Can an AVERAGE Model Expect to Get Paid? (PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING)

^They got more than a dayrate but of course not as much as an established model would have got for the campaign. It's crazy how their rates for runway shows exploded after the campaign.

^They got more than a dayrate but of course not as much as an established model would have got for the campaign. It's crazy how their rates for runway shows exploded after the campaign.
but an established model wouldn't have got much either, unless they're a Daria, or a Kate.

This thread is so informative i just finished reading it all.

But trying to summarize, Do models or not get paid for Runway work ?

In the first pages it seems to get to the conclusion, that you don't get paid much if you're a fresh face in the business, but if you are an established mode you do get paid very well, on the other hand, there's no reason for Freja and Natasha to keep trying to achieve lots of shows. But now it seems that the only paid they get it's clothes. If that's true, i can't imagine the closet that Vlada Roslyakova, Eugenia Volodina or Kasia Struss would have.

Do mother agencies always take commission? I'm a bit confused by the concept of the mother agency and I'm hoping someone could explain it to me.

For example, let's take Frida Gustavsson. She was discovered by Stockholmsgruppen but later got signed to IMG. Now, I know IMG takes commission for any job they book her, and they probably book the majority of her jobs because they represent her internationally, but does that mean that Stockholmsgruppen gets a portion of any job IMG books her? Is that how it works?

For example, let's take Frida Gustavsson. She was discovered by Stockholmsgruppen but later got signed to IMG. Now, I know IMG takes commission for any job they book her, and they probably book the majority of her jobs because they represent her internationally, but does that mean that Stockholmsgruppen gets a portion of any job IMG books her? Is that how it works?

yes mother agency always gets 10% of all jobs booked.
of course only as long as the model is under contract with them.
Sometimes the agency abroad can propose to buy the contract to the MA and so to pay just 1 flat fee to buy out the MA contract.

Do mother agencies always take commission? I'm a bit confused by the concept of the mother agency and I'm hoping someone could explain it to me.

Yep, they do...for example, Arlenis's agency is Marilyn, and when Arlenis gets paid by Lancome for her contract, they send a commission to her mother agency here in the D.R , and a pretty healthy one i must say since her dominican agent bought a Mercedes Benz suv with that money, but obviously that kind of commission depends on the job, beauty contracts are the most wanted by everyone, including mother agencies :lol:...

Ok, this was a coincidence, I was reading all this while watching "The Model Agency" and Leomie Anderson @ Premier is just saying now that in NY she didn't get paid at all, she got paid in clothes AND she said that you don't get paid for editorials. What I do want to know though is if the models' aren't getting paid, do their agency pays for where they live while their overseas then if they aren't getting paid for work? AND do their flights get paid for if they're going to meet with agencies overseas if they're a new model?

what about male models? how much do they get payed for runways, eds or advertiding? Anyone got an idea?

. What I do want to know though is if the models' aren't getting paid, do their agency pays for where they live while their overseas then if they aren't getting paid for work? AND do their flights get paid for if they're going to meet with agencies overseas if they're a new model?
Nope ... the models pay for what ever they use (including postage stamps and photocopies used by the agency on their behalf) ... from what I've been told.

What most people don't realize the models are actually self employed and these things are the cost of starting up her business.

If they think she has promise, the agency will sometimes front the money so the model can travel and stay overseas. She is there to gain experience and to get editorials under her belt ... so that they agency can "sell" her services later to people who do pay. If the agency fronts the money ... the model owes them and must pay it back. So, when she does start doing paid work (hopefully) they will deduct what she owes and their commission from her pay checks and she gets what is left over, if anything. So, it takes a long time for a model to actually start to make a profit. And if she never makes enough money ... she still owes the agency for any money fronted for her ... and must find another way to pay them back.

Here's a thread about that topic: The Truth about Modeling Expenses ... Who Really Pays?

Then ... she still has to pay her own income taxes from any profit she made ... but that's another story ....

Last edited by a moderator:
what about male models? how much do they get payed for runways, eds or advertiding? Anyone got an idea?

Completely ranges. magazine shoots (GQ, ESQUIRE, etc.) are typically hourly and are used more as publicity for the models than actual income. those rates start, usually around 150-200 p/h less commissions.

For Campaigns/Adverts (I'm sure there is an entire thread on this subject, may be worth using the tool bar) $5000+ into the 6 figures and -very, very, rarely- into 7 (Gabriel Aubry Hugo)

Runway anywhere from a few hundred (beginner models, presentations etc. T. Brown was averaging 500 p/h for his presentation in IT) into five figures and -again, very rarely- six figs for exclusives.

Worth doing a search as I am sure this is discussed in significant detail elsewhere on the forum.

^Wow, so male models have it much easier when it comes to income?

^Wow, so male models have it much easier when it comes to income?

No, not at all. The lower pay tier - in the main markets- is comparable. Females, generally cap out quite a bit higher. The numbers I quoted are for fashion weeks (Milan, Paris, etc.. ), major publications, and major campaigns.

There are certainly shoots, shows etc that pay nothing but goods, publicity, and tears.

Also p/h was short for per head as opposed to 'per hour' for Thome Browne, 3 hour train ride from milan, 3 hour train ride back.

Nope ... the models pay for what ever they use (including postage stamps and photocopies used by the agency on their behalf) ... from what I've been told.

What most people don't realize the models are actually self employed and these things are the cost of starting up her business.

If they think she has promise, the agency will sometimes front the money so the model can travel and stay overseas. She is there to gain experience and to get editorials under her belt ... so that they agency can "sell" her services later to people who do pay. If the agency fronts the money ... the model owes them and must pay it back. So, when she does start doing paid work (hopefully) they will deduct what she owes and their commission from her pay checks and she gets what is left over, if anything. So, it takes a long time for a model to actually start to make a profit. And if she never makes enough money ... she still owes the agency for any money fronted for her ... and must find another way to pay them back.

Then ... she still has to pay her own income taxes from any profit she made ... but that's another story ....
30% tax withholding will still be taken out and held by her agency (on top of their commission) from every paid job she does regardless of whether she's making profit or not. (This applies to non-US models working in the US). This means that only 50% of any paid job she gets will count against her debt.

Thanks for sharing that.

I was told that they didn't withold ... but it seems that at least the US government is getting thiers right off the top. Of course, some of will probably be refunded when tax time comes, after she claims her expenses.

so how much do top models get paid per Runway?

***Edited*** See post #1 for thread rules.

do they all get paid the same?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing that.

I was told that they didn't withold ... but it seems that at least the US government is getting thiers right off the top. Of course, some of will probably be refunded when tax time comes, after she claims her expenses.
The withholding is required by Federal Law. Sadly, I suspect that most models who aren't US citizens won't know that they're entitled to a refund and won't know how to lodge a US tax return anyway.

The withholding is required by Federal Law. Sadly, I suspect that most models who aren't US citizens won't know that they're entitled to a refund and won't know how to lodge a US tax return anyway.

do YOU know how they would lodge a us tax return?

my friend is a model and he would really like to know :smile: thanks

^ Firstly, his US agency must provide him with an official certificate that states the amount of tax they have withheld from him for 2011. This is called a "Form 1042" certificate, and by law, they must provide it to him by no later than March 15 this year. (and it doesn't matter if he's in debt or not, if they've held tax they still must issue him with this certificate).
Once he has the 1042 certificate, he could download the lodgement form from the IRS site here (its called a 1040NR form) and then fill it out and submit the return himself, or it might be easier to seek the services of a tax agent to prepare the return and submit it on his behalf.
(If he submits his tax return in his home country though, the 1042 certificate is still needed to claim credit for tax already paid (so he doesn't pay double tax!).

Hope this helps. :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->