The War Over Plastic Surgery

Erin

Iowa Girl Loves Fashion
Reaction score
I found this interesting...

From People Magazine:

Facing Off over Plastic Surgery

As the nip-and-tuck business thrives in Hollywood, some stars are saying ‘No more’ and speaking out about the pressure to go under the knife

Patricia Heaton took her red carpet walk at the Emmy Awards on Sept. 19 seriously. After all, the 46-year-old star of Everybody Loves Raymond and mother of four had put a lot of effort into looking radiant. And so she did, in a dress by Elie Saab, jewelry by Tony Duquette – and a tight tummy by the plastic surgeon also responsible for her nicely lifted breasts, all of which she’ll cheerfully discuss if you ask. Accepting a compliment about her appearance, she smiled slyly. "There’s a reverse thing that happens when you move (to L.A.)," she said. "You get younger-looking as you get older. It’s odd."

Call it odd. Or a dream come true. Or go with the term such A-list actresses as Sarah Jessica Parker, Julianne Moore and Jamie Lee Curtis use: "an epidemic." A troubling one that many believe is sweeping the industry. From press interviews to red carpets to the lunch line for craft services, actresses are talking about plastic surgery with a passion usually reserved for discussions of tax cuts or, you know, what to wear to the Oscars.

"It’s out of control," says Shannen Doherty, 33, star of FOX’s North Shore. "Why get lipo when you can work out or eat better?" For Kirstie Alley, 53, who plans to take on the phenomenon in her new Showtime series Fat Actress, "it’s sick. We should start concentrating on our lives, (not) our noses and breasts."

Kate Winslet, 29, told Harper’s Bazaar she will "never" have surgery or Botox, because "I want to be able to really show the expressions on my face." And at 58, Diane Keaton, whose brief nude scene in last year’s Something’s Gotta Give provoked audience cheers and gasps, declares herself against plastic surgery as a matter of "integrity. I want to express my age and be authentic. Why do so many people follow somebody else’s idea of what is attractive?"

But don’t get Keaton wrong. When it comes to having a little work done herself someday, she makes no promises. As she says, "We’ll see how it goes."

Which leads to another expression favored by today’s A-list actresses. In the words of Hilary Swank, 30, "Never say never." The entire nation is enthralled by cosmetic surgery – according to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, 8.3 million Americans had procedures in 2003, up 20 percent from the previous year and nearly 300 percent from six years earlier. Hollywood’s leading ladies, even those in their 20s, are nipping, tucking and injecting more than ever before, even if they do arrive at the doors of swank doctors from Manhattan to Miami Beach to Beverly Hills dragging their Manolo heels.

"I can’t think of a baby boomer I’ve seen recently who hasn’t said to me, ‘I never was planning to have a face-lift, but ... ,’" says Manhattan plastic surgeon Dr. David Hidalgo, who notes his clients also include twentysomething celebs. "Young people may have a disdain for plastic surgery," he says, "but nobody wants to lose anything."

They stand to lose one thing, though: their convictions. For actresses in their 20s, taking a stand against plastic surgery is relatively easy. But as age begins to take a toll, many hear – and heed – the call of the knife. At the office of cosmetic dermatologist Dr. Anna Guanche, just outside L.A., where there is a two- to three-month wait for a patient wanting Botox or laser resurfacing (as with all doctors, V.I.P.s get in faster), "there is a mad rush that begins at about age 40 to look 10 years younger. For actresses, their looks are their jobs," Dr. Guanche explains. "People come in saying they’re losing auditions. It’s not an issue of vanity. It’s a necessity."

And as celebrity makeup artist Ashunta Sheriff, whose clients include Alicia Keys, Usher and P. Diddy, notes, even for young stars, "this is the kind of industry that you’re expected to be perfect."

And why not, if the means are available? At 23, Nicole Richie, costar of The Simple Life, sees "at least" Botox in her future. "It’s all the rage," she says of plastic surgery. "To me it isn’t all that different from getting fake tans or teeth-whitening. Why grow old gracefully when you have the technology to prevent it?"

Jennifer Aniston, 35, is of a like mind. "Hey, I don’t say no to anything. Anything that makes you feel better, go for it," she says. Her former Friends costar Courteney Cox agrees. "I don’t think anything’s wrong with plastic surgery," Cox told In Style, though she added, "I don’t understand when people change drastically."

Indeed, for surgeons who cater to today’s stars, the most frequent request – and the greatest challenge – is not to make a dramatic change (think Joan Rivers), but to safeguard an asset. "They want to preserve a face or a body familiar to millions of people," says L.A. plastic surgeon Dr. Stanley Frileck, "not alter it."

why, in a nondescript building in Beverly Hills tucked between the Peninsula Hotel and Barneys, Dr. Brent Moelleken does "such tiny procedures that no one knows the face is changing," he says. An eyelid-lift here. A slight nose reshaping there. Even small-incision face-lifts done to look undone. "In the ’70s and ’80s God forbid we left one wrinkle behind," says Dr. Moelleken, who has a four-month waiting list. "That was an unreal look. Now it’s all about looking natural." Across the country Dr. Hidalgo notes the same trend. "It’s the physical version of airbrushing," he says. "It’s plastic surgery lite."

Of course, there can be too much of even a lite thing. The ease of modern surgery – minimal scarring and recovery time – can be very appealing. Even addictive. The result, says makeup guru Bobbi Brown: "People start looking weird." Even some who embrace plastic surgery are afraid it’s gone too far. Drew Barrymore, 29, had a breast-reduction operation in the ’90s but notes, "I just know it’s a slippery slope, and everybody’s starting to look a little waxy lately. I’m going to do everything I can not to go down that road."

Pop star Gwen Stefani wants to avoid it, too. At 35, the married singer is looking forward to motherhood. "I’m hoping my children will save me from my vanity," she says. If it doesn’t, plastic surgery is an option – but not, she adds, a real solution: "It sucks to have to grow older. We all have to accept it."

By KAREN S. SCHNEIDER
– with reporting by CARRIE BELL, MARGI BLASH, ALEXIS CHIU, TODD GOLD, MAUREEN HARRINGTON, JULIE JORDAN, KIMBERLY LANSING, MARISA LAUDADIO, KWALA MANDEL, DANA MELTZER and VICKI SHEFF-CAHAN in Los Angeles, KC BAKER and LIZA HAMM in New York City and MEREDITH NADLER in London

Thanks for the cool article Erin. hmm i dont know what to think of this, personally i wouldn't do plastic surgery because i believe growing older is something beautiful in a different way.

Hm...interesting. I think the only thing I'd spring for regarding plastic surgery is probably a breast lift, as I'm quite well endowed in that area (C's) and I know they'll sag eventually. I know that's part of nature, but I've seen some BAD ones (re: hippie women around my area that don't seem to believe in bras...and their breasts are down by their hips...), and I think I'd like to maintain a little...lift, as long as it's moderate and doesn't end up with my breasts shoved up against my chin...>.<

People need to learn to love themselves and accept their individuality. I saw one of my mom's friends who had botox and other stuff done, it was so obvious bc her face looked plastic and she looked expressionless. Sad!

Originally posted by Fawn@Oct 8 2004, 05:50 PM
People need to learn to love themselves and accept their individuality.  I saw one of my mom's friends who had botox and other stuff done, it was so obvious bc her face looked plastic and she looked expressionless.  Sad!
[snapback]390636[/snapback]​

I know - i find it quite sad too, you can tell when someones had botox, the skins all tight and it is pretty obvious in most case.

I'm not agaisnt plastic surgery though - But I don't think that I would get any thing done i'd rather grow old a bit more gracefully.

thanks for the article Erin :flower:

Some ppl only end up uglier with plastic surgery when they're trying to be pretty.

i think plastic surgery is vain
but i am vain so i will more then likely still be getting it

I wish there was no such thing as plastic surgery. (Burn victims, etc. are an exception.)

makes me curious about what the oscars is going to be like.

ahhh...plastic surgery, the resque and doom of modern times...I heard a mother of four say once that she loved her sagging breasts and her strechmarked tummy, it reminded her forever of the wonderful experience of giving birth to four children, and she looked upon her body as beautiful saying she would never dream of altering it with plastic surgery......But lets face it, I have yet to experience a pic of a strechmarked sagging body on this forum refered to as beautiful...Her body is beautiful yes, but only to herself im affraid..Others dont have the same emotional feelings connected to it, in the vain times we live in people only see her marked body, and that is not what the ideal of today calls beautiful..sad, but true

I am definitely against cosmetic surgery. First of all, nothing can compare to natural beauty. There's always something wrong with those who has their face done with a knife. It never looks normal. Humans no matter what, cannot duplicate nature's art or grace.

Secondly, what ever happened to aging gracefully? Just because you're 70 or 60 doesn't mean you're ugly. With every age you gain a new type of beauty.

And thirdly, if these people truly want to be 'beautiful', they should stop focusing on their superficial qualities but rather on improving their inner qualities.

It's so sad. My guess is that within 10 years, 50% of the adult population will have had some type of cosmetic alteration... or is that a bad assumption?

Erin said:
It's so sad. My guess is that within 10 years, 50% of the adult population will have had some type of cosmetic alteration... or is that a bad assumption?

Are 50% of the population (of Earth? of America? of 'the West'?) affluent enough to have cosmetic surgery...

Hell yeah I'm into plastic surgery :woot:

The first $2,000 I make is going towards getting lip implants, baby. I've got an already-inflated ego to boost.

I'm not worried about aging gracefully (great genes run in the family) but I've got a sweettooth and once you reach 30, that metabolism ain't getting any faster. A face-lift isn't needed, but I definately see a touch of lipo when I'm 40.

I'm glad there are celebrities who are taking the 'natural' route, but there ain't no reason to act 'holier than thou'. :innocent:

PRADA_on_pointe said:
^^ like the woman in the link :blink:

Thanks for the link. I mean I am very pro surgery (ONLY facial NOT liposuction or anything a treadmill can fix. Not anti-ageing because it doesn't work and you know just grow old gracefully) because a nose job or a chin augmentation can vastly improve the balance of the face. When ming stars like Kate Winslet of Jamie Lee Curtis say no I listen to their argument but not people like Shannen Doherty or Julianne Moore. Of course they are against surgery! I would be too if I looked like them :lol: I would love to have surgery. The thing that would hold me back is the possibility of having that feeling you get when you have had the worst haircut at the hairdressers. You know, when it runs over and over in your mind how if you just just hadn't gone that day... if you had missed your appointment. And in the dawn hours when you are half awake it feels like you didn't go, that you dreamed it. But then you look in the mirror.

Anyway the link Pradaonpointe gave was amazing because of what the sister of the woman who had plastic surgery said. It was rather poignant:

Lauren is Jenny's 18-year-old younger sister. Jenny's plastic surgeries have made Lauren feel insecure about her own looks. "I feel like she's rejected my looks as well as hers," Lauren says. "I'm self-conscious about the way my nose looks now and how my eyebrows are too low or my breasts are too small or my hips are going to become too big."

At the same time, Lauren is disturbed by her sister's radically altered appearance.

"Honestly, I don't think she looks as good as she would if she had never had plastic surgery," she says. "I think that she looks plastic. I think fake almost, and materialistic. When we walk down the street, it's noticeable. It's almost kind of like a circus clown. I think she cut herself short. She was beautiful even before she had her surgery. … It hurts to know that my sister has changed her face so much that we don't look alike."

Lauren is above, Jenny is below (obviously)

20050208_103_350x263.jpg

20050208_101_350x263.jpg

Jenny is only 28 years old and has already had 26 plastic surgeries. Jenny says she first became a slave to the scalpel after one critical comment from her then husband. "My ex-husband told me that my nose was too big, that my boobs were too small, so eventually I got a boob job to stop the comments," Jenny says. "I just moved from a bad relationship with him to a bad relationship between me and my reflection. After the divorce, plastic surgery became an obsession for me."

Jenny was just 25 years old when she had a brow lift. She's also had Botox, cheek implants, three nose jobs, veneers on her teeth, three lip implants, two boob jobs, three breast lifts, and liposuction on her arms, stomach, hips, thighs, and knees. Jenny says that the total cost of her plastic surgeries is about $80,000.

PrinceOfCats said:
Are 50% of the population (of Earth? of America? of 'the West'?) affluent enough to have cosmetic surgery...

It was just a statement showing how bad it's getting. :wink:

^ Well I'm sure he wont quit designing... he just won't be doing it for the Roland Mouret brand.

She looks HORRIBLE. I'd take natural ugly over surgery pretty ANY day. At least I'd still look human.

Ahh a backlash! Excellent!

I've always hated plastic surgery. I don't think it makes you look better or younger, it only makes you look like you've had plastic surgery.

Don't they call them 'fish people' in LA? The poor girl in this thread has something of the fish about her anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roller69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->