Thom Browne F/W 07.08 NYC

^ Exactly.

I have never seen anyone wear Thom Browne in person. The Fall collection was SO completely unwearable (padded pants that cost 3k) I mean...It gets me so riled up I cant talk about it. I was trying it on at Bergdorfs and I literally started laughing because I really think it is truly a joke, Thom must be playing a very expensive joke on us.

Sayan, he doesnt have a clientele. The small clientele that he has are fashion victims who like to say they're wearing something as prestigious (or so they think) as Thom Browne, it's percieved as fashion just because it is so clearly different. I would really love to see his figures, I cant imagine them being over 100k a year...

Having read all the comments On FS and also Cathy Horyn's NYT Blog, TB has gotten his attention with this hooded terrorist fashion spoof. I find it most remarkable to see the battle lines drawn between those who actually wear menswear with an edge and those who talk about how nice it is to see a traditional waspy designer rattle his closet. The act of making tightly tailored suits, blazers, pants, buttondown shirts, and polos, or even cropping them, shouldn't merit the praise and attention garnered by the likes of Ms Horyn, Tim Blanks, Anna Wintour, and the buyers of Barneys, Bergdorfs, and Jeffreys. But they have. His past collections were born from the worn out Seventh Avenue catchall merchandising, Classics with a Twist whether it be Americana or Britannia. He took the value added quality of his knits, over the top by making they mega ply cashmeres hand-knitted and framed in Scotland. So perfect for the young Downtown preppy powerbrokers!
Now for his next act...Mumsy styling?
Fashion and advanced menswear have a difficult time being understood or taken seriously by the average onlooker. Publicly presenting this visual gag will not likely open minds but rather keep men safe and secure in their tshirt and jeans for seasons to come.

Not to dredge up something from December; but, I got to see some production samples recently and the hooded textured coat awesome. It buttons up the side and the fabric is fun.
The A-frame crinoline looking space man thing was fun to twirl around as a ballerina.

Diorling said:
Thom Browne is so contrived, all he does is take womenswear and put it on men...there is NOTHING to it, it's not hard to put a mink stole on a man, what is hard is making it look good. He takes the easy route.

I totally agree. The pullovers look like dresses, such an awkward length. The one pullover with the white fur detail ? :shock: It just doesn't work. It's not avant garde, its not well done, and its not even relevant. The A-framed coat is sooo scary, and screams fashion victim.

TB seems to be trying too hard - to be different for difference sake... sigh, what a waste of the techinical craftsmanship, which is quite exquisite. men's fashion seems to be reaching a major bottleneck; that's why crap like TB can be praised as such.

the beginnings of TB the brand were more 'respectable' - the subtle twists in classic attire... but the collections are just going from bad to worse to horrendous!

TheGloryOfThe80s said:
I totally agree. The pullovers look like dresses, such an awkward length. The one pullover with the white fur detail ? :shock: It just doesn't work. It's not avant garde, its not well done, and its not even relevant. The A-framed coat is sooo scary, and screams fashion victim.
Thank you! It's so victim. I was at Barneys and the crap was so, unfortunate, my SA was like "this is so not you, this is for victims." I feel like people think Thom is the next Dior Homme, but the difference is, Dior Homme was genius from the first collection, this isn't genius. This is desperation, desperate for innovation.

I love that Thom is showing in Paris now, because, you know, NY Fashion Week can't appreciate what he's doing...God I can't wait to read those scathing reviews (Cathy Horyn, do your thing!)

Actually I did see some boys(old boys) wear Thom Browne during the fashion week in Feb.

I saw an asian guy wearing a navy polo at Saks on Wednesday...That was the first time.

surver said:
the beginnings of TB the brand were more 'respectable' - the subtle twists in classic attire... but the collections are just going from bad to worse to horrendous!

That didn't go anywhere, it is still all available at Bergdorf and the Tribeca store.

It's funny how no one here has "ever seen anyone wear Thom Browne" and yet you are all so quick to condem it.

You can see a few scurring around Manhattan. Seems the pieces break down nicely. Still feel the only one who can get away w/ the head-to-toe/runway TB look is the man himself, he looks *great* in his clothes. It's a very interesting entry into American design...

Last edited by a moderator:
But Thom doesn't wear his runway clothes. He wears his classic sartorial line.

Haha, yea, Ive never seen anyone wear it because it SUCKS. Noone w/ any clue or sense of fashion would touch Thom Browne.

Diorling said:
Noone w/ any clue or sense of fashion would touch Thom Browne.

I guess no one does, especially those who actually nominated him and ultimately voted for Thom to win the 2006 CFDA Menswear Designer of the Year award.

Last edited by a moderator:
alright let's not get too heated in here. It's fine to share opinions of dissent, but do not attack members personally or those posts will be deleted.

That said, I quite like Thom Browne menswear. For some reason i view it typically worn by shorter men (perhaps because of the cropped hemline of the pants) but i think it would look great on my taller boyfriend. I wish it could be tailored in like Dior Homme for women. I love the cuts of his more basic suits and wish i could wear it but it seems too boxy for that to be done. The pants are great. Anyway those thoughts are kind of random and not specifically about the f/w runway but....

Meg the taller the better. One of Thom's right hand boys is about 6'4" (I'm 6'2") and pulls ALL of it off like no other. I think the shorter the person with cropped jackets and short pants would come off kind of wierd unless they are of the right build. There is another guy around town who wears a lot of Thom and is about 5'9". He isn't stick thin and he isn't beefy...sort of this just average to lean nice physiqueand it looks great.

Well, you can always try on the women's Brook's Brothers Black Fleece when it comes out.

yes, my boyfriend is just under 6'4 so i'm glad to hear that. Maybe it just makes people look shorter? But he could definately do with some of the structur in the jackets since he's on the slender side. Thats a good idea - i didn't realize his collob. with brooks brothers had a women's line with it (though in my hazy memory i might have seen pictures....i can't remember)

diorling i swear i saw the same asian guy- i've seen him in a tb suit a few times. ill never forget those naked ankles!

Personally, I just think people like/dislike Thom's clothing for the wrong reasons and I think media has a big thing to do with it. Everyone creates quite a stir on Thom's raised hems, short sleeves, etc. but the real kicker with the line is how well made and tailored it is, that's what I really think he should get credit for.
As for his overall aesthetic, well, it really isn't my fortay but I like that Thom's line has brought more attention to good men's tailoring, whether that be good or bad attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryJC
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->