Pitti Immagine: Thom Browne in Florence F/W 09

laika

botanizing on the asphalt
Reaction score
From iht:

Pitti Immagine: Thom Browne in Florence
By Suzy Menkes

Thursday, January 15, 2009
FLORENCE: Everything was so pin-sharp - the taut tailored suits, the metallic clatter of typewriters and the modernist Mussolini architecture - that Thom Browne's Florentine excursion was a pure and powerful distillation of his message.
Just two outfits - suits and knits - appeared at the American designer's first European show during the Pitti Uomo menswear fair in Florence. But the essence of Browne's sartorial style does not begin to describe the atmospheric sense of pent-up masculinity and menace.
A line-up of models, with identical slicked hair and exactly the same camel coats and brief cases, walked into the "office" space created at the Istituto di Scienze Militari Aeronatiche. The brick edifice was built in 1938 and has kept everything from its streamlined squares of the parquet floor to aeroplane-shaped door handles intact.
A "boss" figure pinged a bell as the models took off their short coats and snug suit jackets, both with striped linings, to sit at 1950s desks, where they tapped away. Although nothing broke through the rigid façade, you knew that there was a Clark Kent Superman under the prim gray cardigans, trimmed with buttons at the side and short pants (with more buttons at the back to strike a faint fetishistic note). The boss's minions, wearing suits with shorts, the better to reveal the red/white/blue tabs at the shoe heels, then strode the room to collect wads of typed sheets.
"Just very simple," Browne said about a show that could best be described as "simply" perfect. Having used his irony in a heavy-handed way in his recent New York shows, offering weird variations on formal dress, the designer reduced his fantasies, as if making a good sauce: The same ingredients of taut, even tortured, manhood were there but presented in a subtle way.
A more surreal effect was the face-off between the air force cadets and officers in their smart service uniforms with the provocative fashion version. It made for a memorable show and an example of how the Pitti Immagine focus can bring out the best in a designer.

Last edited by a moderator:
all pics from www.iht.com

thomart6341594dp3.gif

browne16905409xj8.jpg

browne37010429mt2.jpg

browne47108205iu9.jpg

Before the show, pic from jak and jil

thombrownebackstage1823bl2.jpg

thanks for the pics laika...:flower:

am i the only one who is sort of 'over' the whole thom browne thing?...
i mean...
i like the images with all the repeats , etc...

but when i am more interested in the typewriter than in the clothes...
that's saying something..imho

:ninja:...:innocent:...

^yeah i must admit the thrill has worn. how long can one go with mere gimmicky quirkiness? the clothes themselves in this setting to me look rather bland. the images are wonderful but like you not so interested in the clothes. i love the vintage typewriters and desks too!

Yes, when I was posting the images, i had to keep checking that I wasn't posting doubles!!! :lol:

I think you have to look at it more theatrically though, and not really as a fashion show. The repetition-- even the blandness-- just intensifies the overall effect of the clothes, which are all about rigidity, uniformity and what may be lurking beneath these things. I personally find it a very compelling presentation, and I appreciate that he's gotten rid of the circus wear on this occasion.

I'm definitely not over TB myself....a boy wearing it well--or doing the look well--slays me everytime. :innocent:

If anything I think Thom Browne is coming into his own. I've noticed his look cropping up in more and more menswear collections both established and new. The newness of his look, the awkwardness, the thrill of it is over but I think it's a good thing. His presence at Pitti is bringing him to the international market in a way his NY shows never did. I think he's more relevant than ever.

thanks for the pics laika...:flower:

am i the only one who is sort of 'over' the whole thom browne thing?...
i mean...
i like the images with all the repeats , etc...

but when i am more interested in the typewriter than in the clothes...
that's saying something..imho

:ninja:...:innocent:...

this presentation gives me the creeps.

i just realised,this reminds me of vanessa beecroft. maybe with a bit of early raf simons thrown in. that sort of cloned,drone-like manner is quite in that vein.

i just realised,this reminds me of vanessa beecroft. maybe with a bit of early raf simons thrown in. that sort of cloned,drone-like manner is quite in that vein.

TOTALLY!

That was my very first thought looking through the images.

I am thankful that he at least ditched the kitsch of his last few outings because frankly it was overshadowing and dragging down the clothes.

As powerful as the presentation is though, it would have been nice to be able to see an actual collection.

there is something interesting clothing in the background of the jakandjil photo which is worth taking a look at.

Am I the only one who sees the HUGE Mad Men and "The Man in the Grey Flannel Suit" reference?! I know Thom Browne has been doing this style suit for awhile (though I"m not a fan of such a spread collar) but the uniformity, the rigidity, the typewriters on row upon row of desk, all heavily references these things and the American males' struggle with it. Very interesting presentation. I want the sweater with the stripes on the sleeve. In fact, I think the presentation would have been that much stronger if there had been a single woman wearing a suit, with short cropped hair, in amongst the men, but that's just me.

haha i understand^ mad men

i think the presentation is wonderful
it looks like a movie
and this was done at a fair?
it had its own room maybe?

That's super pretty, reminds me of the Swedish movie Ondskan(evil).

The jakandjill photo is from the SS09 colection....I'm 100% sure...that tennis printed jackets is unforgetable...

and ok...great presentation...but where are the clothes...wouldn't be smarter if the models show up in diferent looks for each day of the week..or something like that...just jaying...

thaks for the pics

It looks such a quirky show, and such a waste of clothes (that are all the same).

thx for the pics Laika. Softgrey, me too, I was more interested in the furniture:smile:

TB is now all over the place at the Moncler Gamme Bleu (designed by him:smile: .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aeroplvne
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->