Thomas Wylde

F

fashionologie

The name on everyone's hips

blackpix.gif
Suddenly, Thomas Wylde’s rock 'n' roll skulls are covering all the young starlets.
empty.gif
empty.gif
empty.gif

By Booth Moore, Times Staff Writer

It's not every designer whose first collection lands in Maxfield, L.A.'s temple to high fashion. Not everyone gets a full page in Elle magazine right out of the gate either, or creates a scarf — covered with regiments of skulls — that's so chic it's been photographed draped over Lindsay Lohan's shoulders and wrapped around Sienna Miller's waist.

But Paula Thomas has paid her dues as a model, stylist and shadow designer, and her new neo-gothic line Thomas Wylde proves it was worth it. In a mere two months, the label has become the must-have for young Hollywood. Alicia Keys, Cameron Diaz and Charlize Theron are also going wild for Wylde.

Sure, skulls are everywhere (on Vans sneakers, on Lucien Pellat-Finet cashmere sweaters and in Luella Bartley's forthcoming line for Target). And rock 'n' roll is being heralded as a big trend going forward into spring. But Thomas' designs are subtle enough to make fans out of the most refined women — silk caftans and chiffon baby-doll dresses in skull prints, lambskin bolero jackets with detachable sleeves suspended from silk ribbons, whisper-weight T-shirts screen-printed with abstracted blood cells and slouchy leather hobo bags with skull stud work. Prices range from $140 for a T-shirt to $3,500 for a leather jacket.

"We see a lot of rock 'n' roll clothes," says Sarah Stewart, head buyer for Maxfield. "But this line has a feminine edge and a specific point of view."

Stewart said the spring collection, called "Black Summer," shipped in December and is almost sold out. "The bags were gone in a day and a half."

The line has been quickly snapped up by other stores too, including Linda Dresner in New York, L'Eclaireur in Paris, Harvey Nichols in Hong Kong and Browns in London.

"It's kind of a feminine Chrome Hearts," Thomas, 40, says at her Venice studio, which opens up onto a yard with a long, skinny lap pool. She lives in an airy house in back, which she's been renting since last year.

The line is named for Thomas' Welsh grandfather, Robert Thomas, and her great-grandmother Catherine Wylde. Thomas was born in Birmingham, Britain, but she comes across as a tough-talking California surfer chick with a mess of long blond hair, tanned skin, skull print sweat pants and Ugg boots.

Her experience in the fashion business began at age 17, when she was hired to be a Bond girl in the 1985 film "A View to a Kill." A modeling contract followed. She was a cover girl for 15 years, appearing in magazines such as the Face and ID. She even remembers walking the runway in Alexander McQueen's first show.

Thomas befriended the young British designer Julien MacDonald, becoming his muse, then his sales manager and eventually the chief executive of his company. The partnership lasted until MacDonald was hired to head Givenchy in 2001.

Thomas spent two seasons designing for Italian designer Stefano Guerriero but by 2003 was ready to move to L.A. permanently. She had been back and forth throughout the 1990s, when she was married to an aspiring actor.

Most recently, she worked as a stylist for commercials and for the L.A.-based designer Jenni Kayne. Then, last year, the time felt right to launch her own collection. As luck would have it, she met a backer at a dinner party, Houston socialite Valerie Sarofim.

"It's not a silent partnership — she sells, she comes to Paris with me — it's a bit like 'Ab Fab,' " Thomas says of her pal Sarofim.

Thomas is as blown away as anyone by her fast success. She believes the key is research. She spent four years developing the prints, drawing and designing on a computer. "That was how I was going to brand the line. I wanted to be able to take the prints through every season, so people could recognize them without seeing the label."

It also didn't hurt that Thomas is a regular on Hollywood's party circuit, especially at Teddy's bar, Amanda Scheer Demme's even more exclusive club at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel.

"Sienna Miller I feel like I know, even though we've never met," the designer says of her first celebrity client. "I sent her everything in a carrier bag and said, 'If you like this, wear it.' She is the epitome of the woman I design for — rock 'n' roll and sophisticated."

Now Thomas is busy designing some very Georgia O'Keeffe cow skull prints and lambskin boots with black diamond crosses on them. She's also planning for an art installation related to her clothing designs at Ace Gallery later this year titled "Something Wicked This Way Comes."

"I don't think the rock edge will ever die, nor should it," she says. "It's not about what you wear but a spirit in your soul."

source: latimes.com

THE DESIGNER: Paula Thomas, in her skull print, started in fashion as a model.
(same source)
21598502.jpg

The cropped kaftan has a blood-cell design. (same source)
21598551.jpg

feature from the Feb 2006 Elle

Attachments

• wylde 001.jpg
    wylde 001.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 115
By Erin Skrypek

[FONT=Verdana,Sans-Serif]Fashion Wire Daily - Paris - It's hard not to like L.A. It's sunny, laid back and full of beautiful people who spend the day hanging around in tight jeans and terrycloth tracksuits. Perhaps this is why it is so difficult for diehard fashion people to take L.A. designers seriously, even if they do have an official Mercedes-Benz-sponsored fashion week, amazing stores like Fred Segal, Tracey Ross and Maxfield's.
There's also the fact that a good part of the Los Angeles population has more opportunities to get dressed up in fancy clothes than most people in other cities. The word "red carpet" has become an adjective thanks to L.A.'s elite. Even still, for legitimate designers, it's a hard place to be based - nobody really expects that much from them.
Perhaps that's why it is so shocking to learn that edgy Brit Paula Thomas and her new collection, Thomas Wylde, are based there. FWD first set eyes on Thomas Wylde, a very cool, rock and roll, leather loaded, skull-studded collection – at Thomas' New York Fashion Week presentation in the fashionable, minimalist 60 Thompson hotel.
We caught up with her again during the prêt-a-porter collections in Paris at the equally fashionable but exceedingly old school, Art Nouveau-inspired Hotel Regina, where it looked as if some young, Hollywood starlet opened her suitcase and decided to hang her clothes right on the set of some Belle Époque film set.
Leather pants hung before faded yellow and deep red striped walls. Silks printed with skulls competed with beautifully executed classical canvases and silver-studded, black distressed leather boho bags were tossed nonchalantly on an 18th century sofas.
It was an impressive display, considering that Thomas and her business partner, Valerie Sarofim, had just flown in from L.A. the night before meaning that while it was 10 a.m. in Paris, it was 1 a.m. Los Angeles time. They may have been operating on little sleep, but spirits were high.
Paula Thomas is a striking blond who scrapes 6 feet in height. Long and lean, she looked every inch a Londoner with her dark, small-framed glasses, her belted brown, skull-print dress, boots and her distinct accent. The typical California-casual style you find cladding most L.A.-based women was nowhere in sight. Her blond hair swept up in a neat knot; she's the kind of person who catches eyes wherever she goes. You can't help but wonder who she is or what she does.
It's no surprise that before Thomas became a designer, she was a model. Nor is it surprising to find out that when she did become a designer, she trained with the one of the best designers her motherland had to offer: Julien MacDonald.
After a few years with MacDonald, Thomas went off to Milan and spent a total of two weeks attempting to revamp the Italian fashion house, Exté, before she threw in the towel and flew off to L.A. to do her own thing. And thankfully she did, because the results are staggering - especially for a first attempt.
Thomas is creating something very specific. "It's rock and roll, but it's still really sophisticated," said Thomas. "All my clothes have characters." She held up a long cotton skull print tunic that her look book shows belted over a pair of knee-grazing black shorts and a pair of solid black pumps. "Like this is the Pissed Off Secretary - She's fab, but she hates her job and she's really pissed," she explained. "She's probably got another job, but she's got to sit there and do this one until the other one really takes off."
"Oh, you didn't see these last time," she said as she reached to another rack and unhooks a pair of trousers from a silver hanger that looks like it weighs at least eight pounds. "I made these Marlene pants, which are so dope. They've got a high waist, almost like a corset. Very Gaultier, I have to say… and I don't think he'd mind me saying so."
The pants are definitely new - super tight and super sexy with large satin cuffs. Pair them with her customized leather bolero that ties with a satin bow around the neck and big black crystal buttons, and you'd really look "dope" as Thomas put it.
Thomas Wylde consists of a lot of leather, but it's not normal leather. It's leather that looks like it's already been broken in for you. It's as though someone threw it in the washer, balled it up, stomped on it a few times, let it dry in a heap and then stretched it out and cut it into pants, jackets (amazingly well-cut, extremely flattering, feminine jackets), handbags and belts. Basically, it looks ready to be worn.
Thomas Wylde also has a lot of studding, but not all the tacky studding you typically find on leather. Thomas made a "couture" jacket (this means she's only making 250 of them and won't ever make another) with sleeves that lace on with a thick silk ribbon and one sleeve that has what looks like a vine of lilies studded on it. The studs are small silver rivets that look more Swarovski than Hell's Angels. It's rock and roll with a pretty edge.
Her silk pieces - little skulls printed on gorgeous chocolate, black or lime colored silk - have easy, alluring shapes ("They are pieces you can always just throw on," says Thomas) with an unabashed rocker edge.
To date, Maxfield's, Harvey Nichols Hong Kong, Linda Dresner and a few other specialty boutiques have picked up Thomas Wylde.
Looks like L.A.'s got a new star.

source: fwd
[/FONT]

I am drooling!!!! Thanks so much for the pics :smile:

I am in the UK and am desperate to get my hands on some of these pieces. Are they only available at Maxfields?? How can i purchase Thomas Wylde??

it seems to be only available in LA.

i like it a lot, but its too expensive and exclusive for the likes of me.

thanks for the thread fashionologie...
i have been hearing about this brand lately....
i met the pr girl from la at a trade show last season and seh showed me some stuff and told me about it...

seems that skull print fabric is quite a trademark...
the leather jackets and bags are all lined with it...
very rock n roll...

i like some of it quite a lot, though some of it is hard to wear if you aren't in a band...^_^...

great pics ...:heart:...

This collection looks nice from the pieces that I am viewing.

does anybody know where to get the skull scarf by thomas wylde??? they have sold out in maxfield...there's gotta be some other place in the US!

I fell in love with this collection when I saw it in Elle. The silk caftan with skulls is to die for. :heart: :heart:

I too have looked all over online for someplace to get pieces from this collection but it looks to me like Maxfield is the only place.:(

If anyone knows differently though, please let us know.

is this the same designer that Lilo and nicky hilton have been wearing? its not my mqueen?

nicky hilton has been seen wearing both alexander mcqueen and thomas wylde...they are two very different looking scarves...see the alexander mcqueen thread to see pics of that one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliburum
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->