Tom Ford - Designer

i dont see why Fords assistants will not be able to pull out a decent inspired collection for Gucci, to be honest i expect a much better design direction from them , Gucci was boring me to tears for seasons now..
Tom was losing his 'beat' lately, even for his own standards.
Of course he's hyped to tears, there are these kind of consumers that could slave for whatever Tom presented, just because he's Tom Ford, a gorgeous guy with foxy eyes.. but lets be serious, this is fashion , like softgrey says, its only clothes.

Those who still think that by buying few looks from a brand they sudenly enter a world of the designer's glam world, are gravely misleaded. It's all about the end product, which at Gucci's case is really not top quality or top creativity either.
Gucci is something people used to wear a lot some years ago. The brand has been going in a bad way since they decided to buy YSL.
YSL was Tom's grave mistake, he wanted YSL to create a buzz and 'cover' Gucci brand decline in sales... this was the real expensive ego trip that brought GG in the deep red. And of course the new managers were not happy with all the useless extravaganzas.

YSL by TF was a real disaster, French people stopped buying YSL since he took reigns of the brand, to be honest he did a real bad job while at YSL. And the costs were horrendous. Plus more than 2000 people lost their jobs when he took over. All the high level Parisian ateliers YSL was using closed down and the production went to 'cheaper' Italian factories, bringing down the quality level of the YSL brand.

enough said :ninja:

Originally posted by Lena@Mar 10th, 2004 - 4:02 am
i dont see why Fords assistants will not be able to pull out a decent inspired collection for Gucci, to be honest i expect a much better design direction from them , Gucci was boring me to tears for seasons now..
Tom was losing his 'beat' lately, even for his own standards.
Of course he's hyped to tears, there are these kind of consumers that could slave for whatever Tom presented, just because he's Tom Ford, a gorgeous guy with foxy eyes.. but lets be serious, this is fashion , like softgrey says, its only clothes.

Those who still think that by buying few looks from a brand they sudenly enter a world of the designer's glam world, are gravely misleaded. It's all about the end product, which at Gucci's case is really not top quality or top creativity either.
Gucci is something people used to wear a lot some years ago. The brand has been going in a bad way since they decided to buy YSL.
YSL was Tom's grave mistake, he wanted YSL to create a buzz and 'cover' Gucci brand decline in sales... this was the real expensive ego trip that brought GG in the deep red. And of course the new managers were not happy with all the useless extravaganzas.

YSL by TF was a real disaster, French people stopped buying YSL since he took reigns of the brand, to be honest he did a real bad job while at YSL. And the costs were horrendous. Plus more than 2000 people lost their jobs when he took over. All the high level Parisian ateliers YSL was using closed down and the production went to 'cheaper' Italian factories, bringing down the quality level of the YSL brand.

enough said :ninja:
As usual LENA :heart:

what you say about Tom Ford and YSL is ABSOLUTELY the truth . B)

You have summarised it in a nutshell . :flower:

KIT :innocent:

yeah lena!!!

'nuff said... :ninja:

i'm actually looking forward to gucci and ysl next season... :heart:

Originally posted by softgrey@Mar 10th, 2004 - 9:20 pm

'nuff said... :ninja:

i'm actually looking forward to gucci and ysl next season... :heart:
"enough said"
well, i was basically reffering to my own comment,
i could go on and on forever, i had to stop :ninja:

:lol: i understand...you always have some great facts and numbers to back yourself up. though...i love hearing all that nittty gritty business info... :flower:

this sells, this doesn't, this is manufactured here, that is poor construction...you've got all the hard facts... :heart:

one cannot argue with the facts... :innocent:

Originally posted by softgrey@Mar 10th, 2004 - 1:47 pm
:lol: i understand...you always have some great facts and numbers to back yourself up. though...i love hearing all that nittty gritty business info... :flower:

this sells, this doesn't, this is manufactured here, that is poor construction...you've got all the hard facts... :heart:

one cannot argue with the facts... :innocent:
2nd! Hooray for Lena! I'm also glad to see that my layman's views often coincide with those of professionals :flower:

erhhh, its only facts..
plus i'm always learning pretty much from tFS,
quite some professionals, aspiring or potential professionals are posting in the forums :ninja:

Originally posted by Acid@Mar 10th, 2004 - 4:02 pm
but you Lena are the master poster
How about LENA :heart: FOR

' POSTMISTRESS ' !!! :wink:

KIT :innocent:

It's very interesting what you have to say about the repercussions of moving the manufature of YSL clothes to Italy and the degredation in quality .

I know that YSL Rive Gauche for women AND the VARIATION line were predominantly and beautifully made in France by MENDES , which was sold off , and the YSL Rive Gauche men's line was also prdominantly made in France , to almost couture quality , by TONTO ( or TANTO , I am not too sure of the correct spelling ) . I wonder what happened to this manufacturing unit ?

One tends to forget the cost in human resources when big business ' rationalises ' manufacture .

I had noticed that the ' make ' of YSL clothes had deterioated since the GUCCI takeover .

At least Pierre Berge insisted that all the skilled artisans in the YSL Couture atelier at Avenue Marceau were found suitable posts in other houses , eg ALAIA , GAULTIER etc.

Incidentally , the YSL museum opens this week at Avenue Marceau , I would LOVE to make a pilgrimage . :heart:

KIT :blush:

eeeeeiiyah!!! how amazing that will be...oh kit...i'll meet you there...then after, we can take the chunnel over to london and see the new vivienne westwwod exhibit which opens next month... :wink:

sriously, though, i think i may actually go to london for that one, maybe i can get over to paris...it's been too long :rolleyes:

btw, the YSL museum had a premiere during Paris Fashion Week with a retrospective on Art + Fashion from YSL archives :heart:

Originally posted by softgrey@Mar 11th, 2004 - 6:10 pm
eeeeeiiyah!!! how amazing that will be...oh kit...i'll meet you there...then after, we can take the chunnel over to london and see the new vivienne westwwod exhibit which opens next month... :wink:

sriously, though, i think i may actually go to london for that one, maybe i can get over to paris...it's been too long :rolleyes:
im gonna be backstage for the shows on the launch day :wink:
......i havent yet deicded what im gonna say to Viv :lol:

Originally posted by kit@Mar 11th, 2004 - 5:12 pm
It's very interesting what you have to say about the repercussions of moving the manufature of YSL clothes to Italy and the degredation in quality.
Like was said on another thread, many Italian companies go for "good enough" rather than strive for perfection.

I have the feeling that many Italian companies are very, very greedy and want to maximize profits any way they can. It may sound harsh, but I believe it's true.

To me, it's a bit strange how expensive many goods & services are in Italy... Raw materials aren't necessarily the best (=most expensive) and employees don't get paid that much.

So where does the money end up...? Business is all about making money, I know, but the Italians seem to take it to a more unethical and sleazy level than elsewhere. I'm sorry, but that's the way I perceive it. I would love for someone to prove me wrong!

:ninja:

Originally posted by tott@Mar 11th, 2004 - 11:28 pm

I have the feeling that many Italian companies are very, very greedy and want to maximize profits any way they can. It may sound harsh, but I believe it's true.

So where does the money end up...? Business is all about making money, I know, but the Italians seem to take it to a more unethical and sleazy level than elsewhere. I'm sorry, but that's the way I perceive it. I would love for someone to prove me wrong!

:ninja: its not going to be me :heart: tott :ninja:

Originally posted by Acid+Mar 11th, 2004 - 3:22 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Acid @ Mar 11th, 2004 - 3:22 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-softgrey@Mar 11th, 2004 - 6:10 pm

im gonna be backstage for the shows on the launch day :wink:
......i havent yet deicded what im gonna say to Viv :lol: [/b][/quote]
As I've said before , ' DON'T get me started on Vivienne Westwood ...............! ' .

KIT :rolleyes:

*prods kit with his big stick of stirring*

I think part of the reason that YSL's sales figures are still low is that the French don't like Ford as a person as well as his designs. I think YSL will sell better with a Frenchman at the helm...YSL's designs really were very French...

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Mar 12th, 2004 - 12:40 am
I think part of the reason that YSL's sales figures are still low is that the French don't like Ford as a person as well as his designs. I think YSL will sell better with a Frenchman at the helm...YSL's designs really were very French...
so correct :wink:

Originally posted by Lena+Mar 11th, 2004 - 3:32 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lena @ Mar 11th, 2004 - 3:32 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-tott@Mar 11th, 2004 - 11:28 pm

:ninja: its not going to be me :heart: tott :ninja: [/b][/quote]
or me! :innocent:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->