Tom Ford Interview

Originally posted by Lena@Mar 10th, 2004 - 4:02 am
Those who still think that by buying few looks from a brand they sudenly enter a world of the designer's glam world, are gravely misleaded.
Although mislead, this type of mentality drives consumer behaviour through the roof and I think it borders on absurdist to discount the value of celebrity designers when if we'd renamed Gucci to something else NO ONE would buy it AT ALL. We'd not even be having this discussion. YSL is not what it was true, but YSL is NOTHING if not a name. Quality factors into the luxury business yes, that justifies the price point. But the name is what garners the attention. And yes, there are a rarified few who would jump for a barely labeled quality garment, but in today's economy, the consumer dollar is being saved for those items that bear that fashion punch they pay top dollar for.

Originally posted by mikeijames+Mar 12th, 2004 - 9:16 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikeijames @ Mar 12th, 2004 - 9:16 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Lena@Mar 10th, 2004 - 4:02 am
Those who still think that by buying few looks from a brand they sudenly enter a world of the designer's glam world, are gravely misleaded.
Although mislead, this type of mentality drives consumer behaviour through the roof and I think it borders on absurdist to discount the value of celebrity designers when if we'd renamed Gucci to something else NO ONE would buy it AT ALL. We'd not even be having this discussion. YSL is not what it was true, but YSL is NOTHING if not a name. Quality factors into the luxury business yes, that justifies the price point. But the name is what garners the attention. And yes, there are a rarified few who would jump for a barely labeled quality garment, but in today's economy, the consumer dollar is being saved for those items that bear that fashion punch they pay top dollar for. [/b][/quote]
very well put

i agree mikejames & faust, but still, i find this kind of marketing strategy manipulating and a tiny bit too 'tired' and 'old' if you get my point..

in the new -developing- fashion strategy environment, celebrity monkeys will be much less important, excuses for finding it hard to submit to the star-stystem glam..
it never impressed me much :ninja: :P

Originally posted by mikeijames@Mar 12th, 2004 - 3:16 pm
Quality factors into the luxury business yes, that justifies the price point. But the name is what garners the attention. And yes, there are a rarified few who would jump for a barely labeled quality garment, but in today's economy, the consumer dollar is being saved for those items that bear that fashion punch they pay top dollar for.
I'll have to agree that established names certainly get attention!

But when you talk about "fashion punch", I get a bit lost... What do you mean by it? I'm a Swede living in Italy, so please explain it to me...

Originally posted by Lena+Mar 11th, 2004 - 6:25 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lena @ Mar 11th, 2004 - 6:25 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-PrinceOfCats@Mar 12th, 2004 - 12:40 am
I ...YSL's designs really were very French...
so correct :wink: [/b][/quote]
hmm.. ever since hedi slimane made a comment about ysl not being very french with the russian collections and that (or not as french as christian dior) i've thought about it, in a way he is, and in other ways he's not :flower:

also, about the value of a fashion name alone, to me it does mean something, the name ysl is synonymous with sophistication, elegance, subtle sexuality.. even if it's tacked onto the back of some jeans

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waldzios
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->