Traditional & Historical Ethnic Dress

There's so much info on this at wiki

The taqiyah, also spelled tagiyah, is a short, rounded cap worn by Muslim men. This cap is worn by Arab Muslims with the thawb or kurta. When worn by itself, the taqiyah can be any color. When worn under the keffiyah scarf, it is always white. Some Muslims wrap the turban around the cap. The turban is called an Imama in Arabic. A hadith in the books of Abu Dawood and Tirmidhi quotes Muhammad as saying, "The distinction between us and the polytheists is the turbans over our caps."

In the United States and Britain, many Muslim merchants sell the prayer cap under the name kufi.

Muslims always wear a cap under the turban, unlike Sikhs, Jews[citation needed], and Arab Christians. (For more information about Arab Christians, see Maronite Church, Orthodox Church of Jerusalem, Melkite Greek Catholic Church, Melkite, and Arab Americans)
Muslims wear the taqiyah to emulate Muhammad. The companions of Muhammad were never seen without their heads being covered. In order to emulate their actions, Muslims throughout the world wear a variety of taqiyat, fez hats, and other headgear. Another goal of wearing a taqiyah is to be more like Muhammad and therefore obey and follow his tradition. The taqiyah is a tradition from antiquity; Ancient Arabs had the habit of always wearing something on their heads. They considered it inappropriate not to wear headgear like the keffiyeh, see Sartorial hijab for further information.
The taqiyah is also called a prayer cap in English. Many Muslims wear the taqiyah during Jumu'ah, or Friday prayers at the mosque, and during daily salat, or prayers at home (see external links for photos). For men, it is mustahab, which means praise worthy or seeking the love of God, to cover the head during prayer. Some Muslims use a prayer mat during salat. It is common for men to wear a taqiyah during weddings; see Nikah.

Etymology

Taqiyah is the Arabic word for a Muslim cap used in Saudi Arabia.

In Pakistan and India, the prayer cap is called a topi. Topi means cap in the Urdu language. In Pakistan, men usually wear the topi with salwar kameez. It must be noted, that the Pakistani American community is the second largest Muslim ethnic group in the United States.

In the United States and Britain, many Muslim merchants sell the prayer cap under the name kufi. The West African name kufi is used because Muslims of African descent are the largest community of Muslims in the United States at 34.6% of total adherents, see Islam in the United States. In West Africa, men wear the kufi with the dashiki shirt or dashiki suit. The kufi is also worn by some American Jews, African Jews, African-American Christians, Buddhists, and Muslims (see Islam in the African diaspora).

dress etiquette

for Western converts
same source

As more Muslims have immigrated to the West from traditional Islamic cultures, Christians have converted to Islam, see List of converts to Islam. Most converts use the West African name, kufi, when speaking of a Muslim prayer cap. Two approaches to clothing are seen.

The first approach is to add the prayer cap to the traditional clothing of the ethnic group the revert was born into. The general rule is that a convert may wear any modest clothing that exists in their culture, plus the taqiyah or the hijab. This is the cultural clothes approach. For instance, a Scottish American man would wear a kilt and a taqiyah for his wedding instead of the Balmoral bonnet. English American men would wear morning dress and the taqiyah, instead of the top hat. Western clothing, like trousers and an oxford shirt, or a suit, would be worn with the taqiyah to Friday prayers. An Irish American man may chose to wear an Aran sweater or a Grandfather shirt with his taqiyah to Friday prayer services. A French American man would wear a striped Breton shirt and a beret or a taqiyah to Friday prayer services. A Hispanic American would wear a Guayabera shirt. The clothing must be modest. For example, a German American man would not wear lederhosen to Friday prayer services, because the shorts are immodest, see Awrah.

The second approach is the sunnah clothes approach. For a man, the taqiyah, thawb, and salwar kameez are the sunnah clothes. For non-formal events such as Friday prayer services, and Eid ul Fitr celebrations, men wear the taqiyah with a thawb or salwar kameez in a variety of colors. The groom wears a white thawb or salwar kameez during wedding ceremonies. The bride's clothing is a white wedding dress. Most brides wear a white veil with the wedding dress, see white wedding. However, a few wear a white hijab or a white hooded bridal cape or full length cloak.

Hijab chic thread in Trendspotting

2ljj29j.jpg

combatsdroitshomme.blog.lemonde.fr

I've always appreciated tribal dress and ethnic styles, however, since traveling overseas, particularly in Africa, I'm really interested in infusing traditional and ethnic dress from various cultures into what I wear. I bought some beautiful handcrafted jewelry in Morocco, and wanted to buy some clothing, but alas, my backpack/suitcase had no room to spare. :doh:

I tend to be most inspired by African, Indian, and Native American styles. Some photo inspiration... :flower: I'll probably post more later. ^_^

From tribes in Kenya. (Photos by Eric Lafforgue).

tumblrl09a233le01qzavz8.jpg

tumblrl09a7mubbw1qzavz8.jpg

tumblrl09a0cnf9n1qzavz8.jpg
tumblrl09a65al0s1qzavz8.jpg

tumblrl09a703xhi1qzavz8.jpg
tumblrl09a4g15qi1qzavz8.jpg

tumblrl09a3szjqu1qzavz8.jpg

tumblrl09a0z2bwf1qzavz8.jpg

tumblrl099xy5ksm1qzavz8.jpg

tumblrl09a5dyae71qzavz8.jpg

And a couple from the Jat tribe, a hidden tribe in Gujarat, India. (Photos by Retlaw Snellac).

3182129551740216aa8d.jpg
31821380452564d3443c.jpg

^^^ The photo's of the girls from India, are just stunning. It really makes me appricate all the differnt, wonderful cultures throughout the world.

^^^ The photo's of the girls from India, are just stunning. It really makes me appricate all the differnt, wonderful cultures throughout the world.

Aw, happy you like them too! And yes, culture is one of my very favorite things (in general, and in traveling), I am absolutely enamored and always inspired by exploring cultures around the world. ^_^

I don't know if this has already been said in this thread, but could everyone uploading these beautiful pictures please make every effort to note the specific region, tribe, and/or group name of the persons whose pictures you are uploading, as well as the year or time frame in which the photos were taken or the paintings were modeled after? Obviously clothing styles change quite a bit in every country and region and it is extremely helpful to know precisely when and wear these articles were worn.

Also, any information about names of garments, construction, materials, etc., would be greatly appreciated!

sorry, not "when and wear" but "when and where"...clothing on the brain haha!

Also, anyone know this significance of the nose piercing pendants which cover the Jat girls' mouths? Are female children expected not to speak?

Does anybody has a decent picture of a german lederhosen? I recently bought a suede/leather dress just because it reminded me of one, and I cannot find nice pictures of them.. any german/austrians who would like to share??

:heart:

sailbillabongvanuatu.jpg

The Nekowiar Festival held every 4 years in Tanna, Vanuatu . This photo shows the women's Napen-Napen dance.

Source: SailBillabong @ flickr.com :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
jasontaylordongriakondh.jpg

These are a couple of lovely girls from the Dongria Kondh tribe in India. Tragically their sacred land and lives are being threatened by foreigners' greed. You can read more about them here, watch a short film, and get involved if you like, to assist in the preservation of their culture and mountain, when a British mining company is set on forcing them out, and destroying their land for aluminium ore.

On a lighter note, I'm incredibly inspired by their dress. ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
beautiful pictures, susanna-cole^^

this is taken summer 1913, Ulan Bator, Mongolia
2d171j4.jpg

mongolian noblewoman
boston.com |

Volendam, Holland August 1929

This fisherwoman and her partner hail from the small port of Volendam, near Edam. In the 1920s many Volendammers would have fished at Holland's largest freshwater late, the IJsselmeer, but in recent time commercial fishing has declined, and the town's economy relies more on tourists than fish.
20ib6e1.jpg

hollisterhovey.blogspot |

Bretagne, date unknown

4082665059_f32f980e7b_o.jpg

flickr|s_levaillant

Macedonia, 1912
kahnmacedonia1912-small.jpg

makedonika.wordpress|

this is taken summer 1913, Ulan Bator, Mongolia

mongolian noblewoman
boston.com |

Love the Mongolian tribal pics, especially the hair. it's why I love the costumes from Last Emperor (the movie about the last Chinese emperor, not the Valentino movie).

Claddagh, Galway

|....| these were taken in Galway, ....of people in the Claddagh, and while they are posed, they are important documents of social history. The first of our pictures today was of a young Claddagh woman wearing "A unique specimen of a very beautiful costume which already has not been worn for several years. The women abandoned it because it was very heavy and they don't want to hear about it anymore. The young girl who posed for this photo was considered in Galway as one of the most perfect girls from "The Irish Colleen". She is wearing a beautiful red cloak under which is a patterned Paisley print wraparound possibly made from cashmere. Indeed, some old Claddagh women used to refer to this garment as "Me Cashmere". She is also wearing a red flannel petticoat over which is a rough apron known as a "Praiscin" which protected the petticoat when the women were working or carrying baskets of fish. The second photograph is of 2 Claddagh women dressed in beautifully patterned fringed shawls. The lady on the left is wearing a red crochet shawl underneath, the one on the right has a "Shawleen" made out of a very soft material under her main shawl. They are both wearing working aprons made from check material. They were selling fish.
The lady in our third picture is probably wearing the same costume as the first.
1z2do1y.jpg

kennys.ie |

A larger picture of one of #136

described as Bigouden in bridegroom costume
29 February 1920

30kdms2.jpg

hotels-paris-rive-gauche |

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member