Travel Guide : New York City

Almost everything!

I've lived here all my life and I still treat the city like I'm a tourist. I love it but you have to fit with this city. It can either fit like a glove or be unbearably uncomfortable. If I had to choose my absolute favorite things about this city...
1. The fashion scene is incredible. There is nothing you can't see and no one you can't network with. The sidewalk is a runway, it's great.

2. The ethnic diversity. It's the only place in the world where you can not only be exposed to so many different races and nationalities but get to enjoy their culture. I have friends in other states who have never seen so many types of people.

3. The scenery. Everyone thinks it's skyscrapers and rats. There's so much more. You can be surrounded by gorgeous buildings and lights one minute and walk into Central Park and be surrounded by nothing but acres of greenery and wildlife.

4. The natives are insane. When I travel, everyone wants to blend in. Here in NY, people are trying so hard to not be what's expexted, they just end up being crazy...it fabulous.

5. If you're bored...you're trying to be.

I'm going to try transferring to a college in NYC. :wub: :heart: See you there. :wink:

Let's bring some balance to things :lol:

1. It's incredibly dirty
2. People are obnaxious and rude
3. the subway system is ugly and horrible
4. terrible summer and winter weather, with scarce fall/spring in-between.
5. expensive everything

Originally posted by faust@Sep 2 2004, 11:03 AM

1. It's incredibly dirty
5. expensive everything
[snapback]354112[/snapback]​

sounds like paris, milan, london, los angeles...um...just about every major city... :P

Originally posted by softgrey@Sep 2 2004, 11:29 AM
sounds like paris, milan, london, los angeles...um...just about every major city... :P
[snapback]354147[/snapback]​

:lol: /\/\/\/\/\/\/\ New York lover

Originally posted by faust@Sep 2 2004, 11:03 AM

1. It's incredibly dirty
5. expensive everything
[snapback]354112[/snapback]​

Plus, the topic is "Favorite Things". For balance, start a new topic.

But does it have lush green forests that go on forever?!? Sorry,im just trying to make me feel better because I'm terribly jelous of you people who get to live there! Damn it!

Any advice for people moving to NYC? Things you wished you had known when you took the plunge? Were you really familiar with the city before you moved there? Did you have friends, family there?

Also, looking for a cheap apartment (ha! like there is such thing!), wich neighborhood would you advise?

hi...ever heard of the lovely search feature we have here at tfs???...

why not take advantage of this lovely feature when looking for info... :magic: :innocent:

lovespell...i'm serious...there are at least five other threads like this and they are loaded with good info...about shopping real estate neighborhoods...etc...

they would probably be quite helpful to you...best of luck with your potential move...

No, there are no "lush green forests"... but We've got central park.. and a bunch of smaller parks all throughout the island. I've got a park around the corner, it's huuuuuge. I take my doggie for walks all the time. NYC is great.. yes it's dirty... but I'll deal with that... at least my life is interesting now... Back when I was living in Jersey with my parents, I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the times I sat home doing NOTHING.

NYC is great. :smile:

ALong with all the negatives posted, there are quite a few wonderful things too. I haven't been living in Manhattan for very long, but I have also vistited NYC several times before I moved.

1. Great shopping
2. Great bars, restaurants, delis, etc.
3. Diversity aplenty
4. Stunning skyscrapers and serene parks
5. TONS of plays, concerts, movies, readings etc.
6. It's cool to be able to say you live here- everyone will want to visit you
7. Job and internship opportunities
8. You learn self-reliance and responsibility living here
9. Lots of intellectual, fun, sophisticated people (and even more who are the opposite!)

Shopping! Things are expensive...but there are so many alternatives- you can find lots of things at a great price.

Tons of options in spas, restaurants, etc.

There's a Museum of Sex

Barnes and Nobles delivers to your doorstep the same day you order.

magnolia bakery.
cobblestone roads.

i like the confidence you get being there. [this applies to me. you...?]

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paintnitelife
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->