Trendy Words S/S 14

AnaO

Reaction score
Perhaps you've noticed that many high fashion brands this season are decorating their clothes with writing. Logos, slogans, random words... Love it or hate it? I'm not sure yet.

Alexander Wang
WAN_1819.450x675.JPG
WAN_1926.450x675.JPG

Dior
DIO_0225.450x675.JPG
DIO_0220.450x675.JPG

Christopher Kane
christopher_kane_052_1366.450x675.JPG
christopher_kane_054_1366.450x675.JPG

DKNY
_41.450x675.JPG
_44.450x675.JPG

Moschino
MARC0600.450x675.JPG
MARC0613.450x675.JPG

Kenzo
KEN_0471_450x675.jpg

all images from style.com

^Agree; plus no one seems to be able to do it in a non-tacky way.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed this. When I saw those looks come done the runway, I just thought, "Oh no, that's going to become a trend soon, isn't it?"

It just reminds me of D&G. :sick:

Definitely a trend I cannot stand. Raf Simons was probably the only one who didn't do it in a tacky and "in your face" way.

I liked Raf's version, too, because it's surprising and unusual, and Moschino's, because it's fun and suits the brand. I hate cheesy slogans and ostentatious brand names - though I kinda liked what Alexander Wang did with his logo. Still, I hate the logomania at DKNY and Versace.

Oh, yuk:sick: I am already sick of this trend. Hasn't teenagers everywhere been doing this for ages?!

This seems so late '90s. Practically everything streetwear had some name or logo in big block letters emblazoned over the surface. I hope, at least for practical reasons, this doesn't catch on.

Dislike. I feel it takes away from the design of the clothes (or lack thereof in some cases.. which may be why they are used for some designers)

I feel like this is really several different overlapping things: logos (DKNY), typography as design (Christopher Kane, Wang gloves), slogans (Kenzo), and pop culture (Wang Parental Advisory). They all are based on the use of words on clothing, but it's hard to generalize about it because the intent is different.

To me, as always, it's about the end result, not the intent. In the examples above, I think Wang and Kane were successful, the others not. Moschino used to be the master of using their logo as a design element, but these examples are very weak, though not as bad as the tired logo-wh*ring of DKNY.

It's one of those trends you either love or hate. I haven't decided which side I want to go with yet. However I did not hate Alexander Wang's take on the logo mania, he managed to pull it off without being overly tacky.

Here's some more:

Jean Paul Gaultier

YVL_5563.450x675.JPG
YVL_5953.450x675.JPG

Jean-Charles de Castelbajac
LUX_4992.450x675.JPG
LUX_5010.450x675.JPG

Ashish
_FSM9420.450x675.JPG
_FSM9509.450x675.JPG

Sister By Sibling
KIM_1263.450x675.JPG
KIM_1328.450x675.JPG

Rebecca Minkoff
LUX_6910.450x675.JPG

Jeremy Scott (unsurprisingly)
SCO_0698.450x675.JPG
SCO_0793.450x675.JPG

all images from style.com

Even though the inspiration may come from a variety of sources, it's clear that we are seeing more typography on the runway this season than usually. I suppose we can count it as a trend, and I'm sure it will translate to Topshop and H&M printing even more stuff on their tops.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I've noticed the abundance of it also, probably due to the fact that I hate it so much.
Even at Giambattista Valli there were garments made out of a sort of jacquard in a text pattern.

_D7Q0394.450x675.JPG

style.com

When I read this thread's title, I thought it was about, literally: Trendy words...

That Dior police-tape is so dire and vile. That Moschino "Holy Chic" has been repeated by them so many times-- are people really buying that?

The best is Jeremy Scott's "I'm A Mess". He must be aware how many find his designs just that, so it's a middle-finger to us all?

I feel like this is really several different overlapping things: logos (DKNY), typography as design (Christopher Kane, Wang gloves), slogans (Kenzo), and pop culture (Wang Parental Advisory). They all are based on the use of words on clothing, but it's hard to generalize about it because the intent is different.

To me, as always, it's about the end result, not the intent. In the examples above, I think Wang and Kane were successful, the others not. Moschino used to be the master of using their logo as a design element, but these examples are very weak, though not as bad as the tired logo-wh*ring of DKNY.

Pretty much agree with your entire post, although not super fond of Wang's words.

Also would like to point out that words on clothes and logo mania was more of a 1980s/late 80s trend and not a late 1990s trend. At least not as I recall either of those periods in fashion...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eneida
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->