tropical weather attire

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
many people live in big cities and wear lots of black and dark colours...
then they go on vacation to a tropical climate and cannot wear what they would normally wear...
nothing looks more ridiculous that drab clothing when everyone else is in big floral prints...

however...
if you are most comfortable with more muted colours,
it may be difficult to feel comfortable in a big bold print...
also- if you are spending a lot of time at the beach...there is the issue of sand and oily suntan lotions staining your nice things...
so you probably need some more 'throwaway' items for daytime...
while you will still want some pretty dresses for evening...

what are your suggestions for what to wear on a tropical island vacation...
please post pics if you have them...

thanks!
:flower:

i live in florida, so i can definitely be of help because 90% of our weather is "tropical".. i'm already anxiously awaiting the weather to warm up from our so-called- winter.. i'll post some ideas later! :smile:

I used to live in Hawai'i so I have some ideas. There locals and everyone is generally very casual and laid back in dressing. Slippers (flipflops) are standard everyday footwear even for adults, unless you are going to work or out dancing or something. I always kinda hated big floral prints because I think it looks so touristy (but a lot of locals wear that stuff too). Generally for men I think chinos and cotton. For women I love sundresses in cotton and easy breathable fabrics. I also wore little silk dresses sometimes but this is a mistake since you sweat so much from just taking a stroll down the street. Especially if you aren't acclimated to the heat and humidity. A sweaty back is not good for delicate fabrics obviously. And also, I'm not a girl who has a sweating problem but living there I got used to sweating a lot more just from walking to school or classes and work or walking around Waikiki. Also since I'm not a fan of aloha-print stuff I wore light bright colors more and more white. White can be very sexy and carefree even at night time. And for night you can take your sundresses and pair them with espadrilles or strappy wedges. Put a plumeria in your ear too. The left means you're taken, the right means you're single. :flower:

Plus, to answer this thread it really depends what you are doing of course. I mean if it's a touristy-luau-shopping vacation at a resort your attire is going to be different from an active camping-hiking-surfing vacation at more remote areas. I guess for Hawai'i in particular the bottom line for dress codes is laid back.B)

Where are you going, soft? :flower:
Will you be able to buy inexpensive clothes locally? When I was in South India a few years ago, I just bought a bunch of flowy cotton tops and skirts there. Instead of brights, I did washed out/faded versions of the colors--blues, purples, reds, etc-mixed with equally faded neutrals and combined with metallic accents and wood.
For evening i like a lot of white, also accented with metals, and even a bit of black.
Thai fisherman's trousers are great, if you can find a pair to fit you...

I like this for a tropical vacation:
{anokhi.com}

Attachments

• ANOKHI-JAN_07_sfw.jpg
    ANOKHI-JAN_07_sfw.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 327
I wear allot of Tommy Bahama: http://www.tommybahama.com in the summer months, everything from casual to tropical. From the golf course to the patio there's just something I really love about their clothing.

softgrey - what about your nice shorts from last summer and I know you own a lovely marni sun top.....

I don't really go on tropical holidays as such but when I am in hotter weather I tend to feel the same as you do which isn't surprising given the northerm climes from which I hail...however I suppose I tend to work with neutrals and pastels (but still with a dark base of black or navy) rather than brights but thats more to do with my colouring than a dislike of those shades. I think brights may actually work really well on you - actually this w/e I saw an adorable little cotton print (green and white) baby doll sun dress in topshop that my mum and I both admired...I wish you had a topshop in NYC. I think dresses are really good - you could buy a couple of dresses in white and adapt for day/evening with choice of shoe/jewellery/hairstyle/makeup. Also that way you can have a number of looks wearing one dress. there are some nice dresses and sandals on a.p.c at the moment - the red satin sandals are amazing. Oh and the other thing if you just have a couple of simple cotton dresses if you do get them dirty/stained you can easily rinse them out in your hotel before you go to bed. Some of the litle dreses at Marni are nice but maybe a bit expensive.

sydney is an interesting city when it comes to this....
in autumn/winter....everyone is in black, brown, navy and grey.....
and come summer....everyone switches to white, beige, yellow etc....most of the 'locals' here dont wear outrageous colours....it always seems to be the tourists that walk along the beach wearing neon orange and yellow and hot pink....:innocent:

most people here wear a lot of little cotton dresses...
lots of white.....cotton and linen are best....even though linen can be heavy, somehow i never feel hot in it....it breathes well, i guess.... the best thing is what helena mentioned- pretty little dresses that can easily go from day to night....

skirts and loose kaftans or t-shirts are great because they breathe and dont get sticky...there's nothing worse than having to peel your clothes off your skin...

its very hot here in sydney at the moment....here are a few dresses i've been wearing that go well from day to night....most girls here wear their little cotton dresses at night with heels or pretty sandals, do their makeup and add bracelets/necklaces to dress it up....it works well....loose babydoll tops and shorts work well too....

dresses like this one from one teaspoon are very popular here...
and easy to slip off, roll up and put in your bag when you're at the beach...

credit-birdmotel

javascript:void(0)

cotton knit dress by grab...
easy to layer over a bikini/singlet...

marabella beach dress by grab...

credit birdmotel

credit-witchery.com.au

tunic with pockets by witchery

spot pointelle tunic...

printed cross back dress...
i tried this one on....it was so cute....

embroidered beach shirt...

linen beach shorts...

I think everyone did a great job suggesting pretty cotton sundresses for an easy transition from day to night....or for some of you, night to day....:wink:

pinksatin said:
Plus, to answer this thread it really depends what you are doing of course. I mean if it's a touristy-luau-shopping vacation at a resort your attire is going to be different from an active camping-hiking-surfing vacation at more remote areas. I guess for Hawai'i in particular the bottom line for dress codes is laid back.B)
I was born and raised in Hawaii, and I think pinksatin did a great job recommending what to wear. I especially like how she pointed out that there is a difference in attire depending on if you are going to be physically active or if you will be more doing more "civilized" activities. :wink:

I would have to disagree, though, with her saying that there is a dress code and that it is "laid-back". I don't think she meant for it to sound like a rule--which is what a dress code is--but I just wanted to make it clear that laid-back is more of a guideline as to how most people dress. I believe that you can wear clothes that are climate-appropriate while still looking sophisticated and chic. You may stand out a little more (probably because everyone else will be impressed by how fantastic you look :flower:), but it's not forbidden and you definitely will not be alone in how you dress; as long as you treat the locals with respect, you will receive the same in return.

Making the transition from neutrals to tropical getaway attire shouldn't be such a worry of big city dwellers. :flower: If wearing bright colors really makes you (the general "you", not just softie) feel uncomfortable, then by all means, stick to neutrals! I think it's a silly fashion assumption reinforced by mainstream magazines that resort/vacation wear has to be colorful and bold. Residents of tropical locales wear neutrals all the time! A simple black tank top and well-cut khaki shorts with dark brown leather sandals are classic, neutral and comfy. Also keep in mind the time-old suggestion for the color shy: Start by adding one bright accessory or one bright piece of clothing. :flower:

Speaking of color...two things to keep in mind: White can be stained by sunblock, and blue will attract mosquitoes.

And softie, if you are visiting Hawaii, PM me or let us all know...'cause I could say more about Hawaii specifically. :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks everyone....

going to turks and caicos..
and there is a wedding on the beach one evening...

so not so casual or laidback....
i found some cute things yesterday...but now i am even more confused...
i like the stuff laika and adore posted...
but you see how different they are...
plus there is that tropical floral option...

i feel like i have to pick a direction and stick with it...
or i will end up bringing way too much stuff...:ninja:

i'm thinking mostly dresses and some shorts...
helena...your marni top is nicer than mine i think...
mine feels like too much of a potato sack right now...

i think the wedding itself is my biggest issue...
:ermm:...

i guess my big issue is black...can i wear black???

i say yes....you can wear black....
i dont think you have to abandon your sense of style, or your 'urban' ways, and what makes you comfortable, just to fit in on an island....
thats the whole point of those wonderful laid back tropical getaways.....you can relax and breathe easy and be WHO YOU ARE.....no-one is judging or taking notes......everyone is just happy go lucky.....

now maybe the people at the wedding arent going to be like that...:lol:....but i still say in the spirit of the islands you should wear what makes you feel good....
you could always brighten the black up w/accessories.....a nice vibrant red....or lots of silver...bangles and necklaces that will lighten it up.....

dont do tropical florals unless you feel like it...
otherwise they'll look silly anyway...

I wear black to the beach. Im always swathed in black. Just make it linen and make it loose.

Softgrey, SAY NO TO FLORALS.

What about an oversized tunic worn as a minidress? W/ a nice flat.

What about some Galliano English garden florals for the wedding:ninja: :innocent:
340141611F_2.jpg
340139441P_2.jpg

340140411B_2.jpg

Not floral but this Viktor Rolf dress is also very summery yet subtle
340168552X_2.jpg

all from yoox

I think black can look great in hot weater, as long as it is a lighter fabric and you team it with appropriate accessories. Done correctly it can look really chic.

Diorling said:
I wear black to the beach. Im always swathed in black. Just make it linen and make it loose.

Softgrey, SAY NO TO FLORALS.

What about an oversized tunic worn as a minidress? W/ a nice flat.

Haha! :lol:

I used to have this packing problem for beach vacations, I would bring a suitcase of stuff and then wear like two of the things. Now I would just bring the few things I actually use. I usually bring a pair of bermuda shorts that can be worn casually or dressed up for the restaurants with a dress code, a long tunic top to be worn on the beach etc. one pair of cheap payless "fancy" shoes, a pair of jeans in case I go riding, and random cotton tops. I would wear a black top if it was flowy and cotton or linen, I think you would be fine wearing some black as long as you didn't wear all black outfits...but on the topic of black I've seen TONS of ladies in stretchy black dresses of types ranging from: strapless and short to spaghetti straps and short! So I think you could for sure get away with wearing a nice black dress. :P:lol:

I think black is a "comfort colour" for a lot of people, and they probaby won't want to abandon their black, so I don't think if you wore black you would be alone anyways. :ninja:

i live in the bahams and i think you can definitely wear black ^ as long as it's loose, preferably a tube top style or halter, and for a wedding, i think accessories are key...since i've lived here all my life, i'm really not too into floral patterns, it seems too touristy..lol...

00120f.jpg

00190f.jpg

00330f.jpg

00240f.jpg

00290f.jpg

00280f.jpg

00570f.jpg

some ideas all courtesy of vogue.com
i think this would be good....

o! helena how gorgeous! :heart:
i'm w/laika on this one . .
i love love love cotton (tht's all i think you should wear in heat) in faded colours / almost washed out?
w/the prerequisite wooden/metal bangles
flowy tops / babydoll silhouettes w/cute little shorts & skirts
*talking about tropical weather 'attire' is making me excited about the summer ~ going to hawaii! :woot:
& soft there's nothing wrong w/black . . but it depends on the fabric?
linens/cottons are fine . . but anything heavier & it's just wrong imo

is the wedding relaxed/formal? is there a dress code?!

:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacur368
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->