UK Elle June 2007 : Keira Knightley

tigerrouge

don't look down
Reaction score
Just bought it on my way into work - it's Keira on the cover, shot by Bensimon. It's a repeat of her recent US Elle editorial, and bizarrely, the cover credits inside UK Elle have omitted to mention what clothes she's wearing.

Anyhow, the only place I've found a cover shot so far is in this photo taken from thesun.co.uk and you can see even from that tiny image, that it's not very exciting. It's OK, but nothing special. I don't think it was the best image from that editorial to use as a recycled cover.

Attachments

• ELUK0706.jpg
    ELUK0706.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 20
In the UK, this issue comes with two free purses in a choice of two colours (silver or dark metallic plum). All the ads are either for eyewear, perfume, make-up or watches.

Notable articles:
• 1 pg 'my fashionable life' with singer Fergie
• 3 pg interview with Marni designer Consuelo Castiglioni
• 2 pg closet confidential with buyer Averyl Oates
• 3 pg look at celebrity stylists
• 1 pg look at folk group The Pierces
• 5 pg interview with Keira Knightley
• 1 pg shopping diary with Nelly Furtado
• 2 pg interview with Maroon 5 singer Adam Levine
• 3 pg look at three up-and-coming people, singer Uffie, photographer Liza Frank, and 'alternative model' Elle Muliarchyk
• 2 pg article about 'the new groupies' – women who hang around after comedians
• 3 pg interview with Rosario Dawson
• 1 pg 'day in the life' of Liv Tyler
• 2 pg interview with Eric Bana

I love that phrase - 'alternative model'. I might start saying I'm one of those.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's also a one page interview with Deborah Harry at the back of the issue, which I forgot to mention. Now, the editorials - no photos this time, as I don't have my phone with me.

Editorials
:

STARS OF CANNES is an 11 pg special advertising promotion from Chopard, celebrating ten years of providing jewellery for stars to wear at the event. Opens with red carpet shot of Eva Herzigova, 2 pgs of small images, then several two-page portraits of stars like Emmanuelle Seigner, Xun Zhou, Olivier Martinez and Marion Cotillard.

SUNSET BEACH has an unsmiling Julia Ryndich @ IMG NY mooching around a sunset beach in casual swimwear. Shot by Luis Sanchez. Because of the evening light, it's more interesting than an ordinary swimsuit shoot. 10 pg.

POOLSIDE CHIC is a studio-shot editorial by Ross Kirton, with Masha @ Marilyn Paris wearing simple swimwear and streamlined summer dresses.

WATERBABE is another outdoor editorial, with Michelle Buswell doing the tropical island thing in wet white clothing. Shot by Bensimon in Antigua, you can't really see the clothes that well because they're all wet, and you can't admire Michelle's body because it's too covered up. They should have chosen to highlight one or the other. 12 pgs.

Beauty:
YOUR BIKINI BODY is the usual advice, supplemented by two full page shots of Alessandro Ambrosio and one smaller one.

Overall:
It's not a bad issue for June, which is usually skinny. The editorials are OK, though there's nothing outstanding, and the beauty section suffers from not having its usual centrepiece editorial. It's replaced by the usual advice about how to get your body ready for summer.

Could anyone scan that Diesel advertorial, please? Thank you :flower:

I think what disappoints me about the cover is that it's a reprint, when I was expecting UK Elle to give us something original, maybe a stunning swimsuit image with a model done in their own offbeat style, or even a new celebrity shoot, like they did with Jennifer Lopez last month. But this cover... I'm looking at it and thinking: "Keira, you look nice, but I've seen all this before - and some time ago, as well."

If it had been a new shoot, I'd definitely have more praise for it.

Even though its a reprint, the cover is nicer than the one US Elle decided to use.

Aye, when I said "recent" US Elle editorial, what I should have said was "shameless recycling of an editorial that's almost one year old". I really don't like the styling of the cover, with the fussy shirt and all the choke-me-to-death dangling jewellery, it simply looks too messy to me.

While I'm not normally an advocate of the colour yellow, I think that last shot could have made a more striking cover if - IF - they were to get the rest of the colour scheme right. Plus, it's more in keeping with the overall theme inside of simple and fresh swimsuit-influenced fashion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->