UK Vogue December 2019 : Emma Watson by Alasdair McLellan & Lizzo by Kloss Films

The Lizzo cover is great. Should have been the only cover, tbh.

Edward’s Vogue is the worst Vogue on the market.

Yes...there are other Vogue’s that feel a bit low budget, and yes there are other Vogue’s out there that miss the mark issue after issue...

But there’s just something about Edward’s Vogue that is so insanely pitiful and sad. He is not cut out for this job, not even close. Alexandra’s Vogue was objectively way better than Edward’s output. At least Alexandra had an actual POV and seemed to be able to create a discernible feel to her issues that differentiated the magazine and made her Vogue identifiable as British Vogue.

And then if that weren’t bad enough, it’s the fact that Edward makes it seem like he’s changing the world for the better with this trash? It’s insufferable.

Oh you best believe that this was a last minute decision.

The caption of Lizzo's cover on Edward's Instagram reads
I'm so pleased that inclusivity remains at the core of British Vogue and that, in the time since I began here, the fashion and publishing industries have started to embrace a much more exciting and diverse idea of who can be a cover star now. Seeing someone as amazing as Lizzo on a magazine cover has at last begun to feel normal.

Do you honestly think that Edward will wait for 3 days to parade a Lizzo cover, when based on his own words, the cover in itself was the hallmark of inclusivity? Lol. Delusion.

Also, these were the Instagram captions for the December 2018 and May 2019 covers with legitimate multi-covers respectively

Catwalk queen @AdutAkech covers the December issue of #BritishVogue, hitting newsstands this Friday. To mark editor-in-chief @Edward_Enninful’s 1 year anniversary at the magazine, Vogue has released 4 very special covers celebrating both past and present models shaping the industry today, and undoubtedly this next chapter of #NewVogue. #1YearNewVogue

The model who remains a muse. Contributing editor #KateMoss stars on three special covers for the May 2019 issue of #BritishVogue, on newsstands Friday 5 April.

Meanwhile, this was the caption for Emma's cover. Not a single word about a multi-cover, nor Lizzo.

Introducing @EmmaWatson as the star of #BritishVogue’s December 2019 cover. At 29, Watson is one of the most recognisable faces on the planet, with some 100 million devoted followers on social media. The actor and activist sat down with @Paris.Lees to offer a rare insight into her day-to-day life, as they discussed how Watson is using her unique platform to champion causes like gender equality, reproductive rights and sustainability, her dreams for the future, and her role as Margaret “Meg” March in Greta Gerwig’s all-star reboot of Little Women. Click the link in bio for @Edward_Enninful’s editor’s letter and see the full story in the new issue, on newsstands Friday November 8.

The headlines in the Vogue Website for the December 2018 cover v. 2019

4 Exciting Faces Cover Edward Enninful's One-Year Anniversary Issue Of British Vogue

Emma Watson Covers The December Issue Of British Vogue

The last minute release of the Lizzo cover feels very suspect. Part of me thinks that this was to neutralize the surprise of having PWB on US Vogue - but that's just my theory. If it be true, pathetic.

Not complaining though. I love my Lizzo and will be getting 2 copies, but my girl deserved to be the star and not the back up. Inclusivity must be the norm, not some marketing strategy. Do not fall into it Mr. Enninful.

In Enninful’s defence @[B]MON[/B], Lizzo’s cover is printed inside the issue on the cover credits page, just like it was planned as along. Yet I don’t recall reading in the credits whether Lizzo’s cover is limited, digital or what.

There’s certainly more noise about Emma’s cover. The issue is out on newsstands today, so will be interesting to see if Lizzo’s cover is just as much available as Emma’s (and if the issue is reduced to £2).

Can we just backtrack to the fact that his partner, which in this case I'm assuming to be his lover of sorts, shot the Lizzo cover??? I feel like we've probably never seen so many photographers working in fashion right now and he bypassed that massive pool in favour of this Alec guy. Favouritism and nepotism is a hot topic on our side right now. What a gross and disgusting abuse of power.

If this were any other editor they'd be dragged to hell and back.

Can we just backtrack to the fact that his partner, which in this case I'm assuming to be his lover of sorts, shot the Lizzo cover??? I feel like we've probably never seen so many photographers working in fashion right now, and that was his choice? What a gross and disgusting abuse of power.

If this were any other editor they'd be dragged to hell and back.

Conflict of Interest to say the least, but you best believe they tried to hide it. Lizzo by Kloss Flims

Franca did it, but had the decency to throw her son in L’uomo Vogue not the main ed.

In Enninful’s defence @[B]MON[/B], Lizzo’s cover is printed inside the issue on the cover credits page, just like it was planned as along. Yet I don’t recall reading in the credits whether Lizzo’s cover is limited, digital or what.

There’s certainly more noise about Emma’s cover. The issue is out on newsstands today, so will be interesting to see if Lizzo’s cover is just as much available as Emma’s (and if the issue is reduced to £2).

But that’s part of my issue though. If Lizzo was indeed a planned cover, why make it feel like a less important cover. Why make no mention of a multi cover with Lizzo? Why release it days after?

For someone so self-proclaimed as the champion of inclusivity, this is not a shining moment. Have the Caucasian woman draw attention first, then release the WOC cover days after.

There are two things I like about Edward - he said he'd bring us diversity, and he definitely has improved things on that front, in comparison to before. He also knows how to whip up interest in the media about his cover choices, thereby keeping people interested in the magazine - and if that's the price of keeping print alive, I'll put up with the compromises being made.

I could criticise him for not putting enough Asian people on the cover - and I often find the reasons given for why we don't see Asian faces reminiscent of what people used to say about black models - but normalising representation is a work in progress.

There are two things I like about Edward - he said he'd bring us diversity, and he definitely has improved things on that front, in comparison to before. He also knows how to whip up interest in the media about his cover choices, thereby keeping people interested in the magazine - and if that's the price of keeping print alive, I'll put up with the compromises being made.

I could criticise him for not putting enough Asian people on the cover - and I often find the reasons given for why we don't see Asian faces reminiscent of what people used to say about black models - but normalising representation is a work in progress.

I'll definitely give him that. Will even agree with him when he blows his own horn by saying his tenure is inspiring some rival editors (IN THE UK!!!) to explore out of the ordinary cover stars. But he's got some key shortcomings as well and with that in mind, it's eyeroll-inducing when the media fall over themselves by canonizing him to sainthood.

Reactions: MON

all of them must be criticized for it. Vogue Paris being the worst offender. Alt should take notes from her new found friend, Edward. That shared ride during fashion week, a quick “girl your vogue is too white” would not have been hard to do. But I digress.

Saw this on the newsstand today - where I am, Emma was on all the covers and the issue was full-price. I've already seen some of the editorials on weibo, but flicking through the issue as a whole, I'd describe it as 'colourful' but I didn't find much glamour.

The inside cover gatefold ad is for Estee Lauder, rather than a designer.

The Meisel story is really nice. Looks like a long-lost gem of a shoot from Fabien’s Interview Magazine :sigh:

(Tim’s story has some genuinely gorgeous imagery; it’s just too bad there are too many annoying fisheye-lens employed, ruining tan otherwise solid shot.)

Every store I’ve seen this in today has been an Emma cover, not a Lizzo one in sight! Also no cover reduction here.

I have somehow downloaded the issue on my phone, but can't seem to figure out a way to transfer it to my laptop... so here's my screenshot previews until someone is able to provide full size pages:

I'm Not What My Name Has Come To Mean

Photographer: Alasdair McLellan
Fashion Editor: Poppy Kain
Hair: Anthony Turner
Make-up: Lynsey Alexander
Manicure: Lorraine Griffin
Set Design: Andy Hillman
Cast: Emma Watson

British Vogue Digital Edition

The Land Girl

Photographer: Steven Meisel
Fashion Editor: Joe McKenna
Hair: Guido Palau
Colorist: Victoria Hunter
Make-up: Pat McGrath
Manicure: Jin Soon Choi
Set Design: Mary Howard
Model: Julia Nobis

Tickled Pink

Photographer: Mert & Marcus
Fashion Editor: Benjamin Bruno
Hair: Ryan Mitchell
Make-up: Lucia Pieroni
Manicure: Chisato Yamamoto
Models: Carolina Burgin, Meghan Collison, Mariam de Vinzelle, Janaye Furman, Kris Grikaite, Cara Taylor, Sara Grace Wallerstedt

Nights In Shining Armour

Photographer: David Ferrua
Fashion Editor: Ondine Azoulay
Hair: Ramona Eschbach
Make-up: Tiziana Raimondo
Manicure: Anatole Rainey
Models: He Cong, Tess McMillan

ceuTAAzq_t.jpg

Way Out In Mexico

Photographer: Tim Walker
Fashion Editor: Kate Phelan
Hair: James Pecis
Make-up: Sam Bryant
Production: Jeff Delich
Local Casting: Natalie Evans-Harding, Maria Osado
Models: Kesewa Aboah, Fernanda Alvarez Roldan, Daniel Furlong, Paola Garcia Cordero, Maria Gonzalez Rojas, Samuel Guerrero Rojano, Astrid Hadad, Isis Jimenez Nieto, Brandon Michael Cruz, Gustavo Moncayo, Diego Mur, Jose Ramon Perez, Nellymar Rivero Machado, Kerolyn Soares, Estrella Vasquez, Diego Vertiz Garcia

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->