UK Vogue March 2021 : Angelina Jolie by Craig McDean

It's a lovely shot, but it doesn't seem cover worthy to me - at least not for Vogue: it would work well on WSJ I think...I like Vogue covers to be a bit less "lifestyle". I wasn't expecting to see Angelina though, so that's a nice surprise!

UK Vogue are really loving that black/white + bold text colour combination for their big fashion issues aren't they! They've used it on the last 2 Septembers and now again here. It's a shame I think because it's quite a sombre look for issues that should be a full on celebration of fashion. I think if this had been in colour it would have been nice for April or May, but never mind!

March the big fashion issue and we get this??? Sorry but it’s so boring

I'm with you, and not very fond of the outcome whatsoever. It's so dreadfully dull, depressing and devoid of energy for a spring fashion issue. Perhaps had the shot been in colour and a better angle from McDean - it might've been somewhat tolerable. This, unfortunately, completely misses the mark.

Huge miss! Especially when you factor in it's Angelina Jolie, one of the most photogenic women in the world. What is that styling? Let's be anti-fashion for the fashion issue? Groundbreaking! :rolleyes:
This cover reminds of Madonna's for the random b&w shot and the random coloured masthead. Oh yes, and for mucking up such a great get.

Why is she on the cover? Don't follow her career, but it would be an interesting move if she got this purely beause of her humanitarian efforts.

I am severely disappointed more and more with Edwards Vogue. His March issues were always one I’ve looked forward to because they were always a model or special in some way, That Naomi cover by Meisel is one of my favourite issues ever.

His increased desire to be American Vogue is desperate now, boring celebrities (Taylor Swift, Dua Lipa, Angelina Jolie etc) always shot so mundane or dull.

I also hate the use of black & white covers with Orange or Red art direction, it always looks so Halloween.

This genuinely looks like a lifestyle magazine or town & country, not a fashion magazine.

Well of course the 2nd cover is better, but like the 1st one it's simply not worthy for March. I detest full body covers with a passion. She looks like a politician on her way to a press conference, I guess that's the look she's going for nowadays because this shoot seems nearly identical to her US Elle one? Another cover where it's as clear as daylight that the celebrity had full creative control, at least when it came to styling. It's tiring now.

All of a sudden Nina Garcia looks like a genius for getting Angelina to shoot her cover wearing a saucy Saint Laurent micromini.

Compared to the first cover I'm really loving the second one! It's obviously not groundbreaking to see Angelina styled in classy ensembles but I really like it, it feels true to her and I'm always interested to read her interviews. That shot with the kaftan looks so cosy but beautiful at the same time. I'll take this over a gimmicky cReAtIviTy IsSuE, always!

Surprised to see all the negative comments in here (although, maybe not), but I love it. Angelina can never never never do wrong, and she once again looks stunning. I like the fact it's clean and simply, yet very striking.

The ultimate working from home wardrobe? Can hardly wait.

She does indeed look like a politician, but a more conservative one, not one who wears chucks. I always thought she was older than she actually is due to the way she is styled or styles herself, I don't know. I also don't follow her career so I'm not sure if she is promoting anything? I guess she is behind the camera now or producing.

I for one prefer the first cover even though it is sad looking. She should look at the camera and it shouldn't be black and white. But I find the clash of Vogue letters over her sunlit head to be awful. The estate looks boring too. How about coming up with something memorable, especially for the announced creativity issue.

If you ask me, UK Vogue under Edward is just as drab as the old one without Meisel and maybe Knigh. I also feel like I already know what the editorial content will be like because it always is the same and if it isn't, why does it feel like that?

Oh gosh I think that second cover is dreadful. Absolutely not cover material at all - I wouldn't even run it inside the magazine....well maybe on the Editor's Letter page.

Full body shots rarely work for me on covers, and I have to say I've never been a massive fan of McDean's photography; I always particularly disliked the few cover shoots he did for US Vogue and this is reminding me of that style, but worse.

I'll take the first of the 2, even if it's the gloomier choice.

Compare this to Vogue Taiwan LOL. This is catalogue gold and Vogue Taiwan is pure high fashion. I rest my case :judge:

Always welcome a classic beauty like Ms. Jolie on the covers on any magazine. But both covers looks like test shot. And I must say, I'm really disappointed everytime I seen the Edward styled the subject himself especially with the background of W magazine.

And suddenly the first cover looks phenomenal, besides that atrocious second cover! The photography from McDean is truly awful here, extremely low-budget, very catalog-esque and the shading between the Vogue masthead and Angelina's head is abysmal.

The absolute WORST Angelina Jolie cover(s) of Vogue I have ever encountered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bloopybloop
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->