UK Vogue March 2021 : Angelina Jolie by Craig McDean

hah, why would they make her do a 'what's in my bag?'?! I'm not even a fan and I know she's above that, she's huge and has managed to acquire some of that mystery only Hollywood legends from way back had (and I say acquire because lord knows she had none of that circa 1999). 'What's in my bag?' is 100% 'I'm relatable!' culture and who needs that, who even thinks they can relate to Angelina Jolie lol. And by the way, if you're going to do it, do it well then, you carry t-shirts and snacks but no actress, followed by the paparazzi, carries tampons, ever? not even with teenager daughters? my god.

I don't know why she always seems in character with that 'first lady' styling. I just find the transition odd.. I think we all move on from the things we found fun and scandalous when we were young (after we realise they were not really that scandalous lol) but always retain some elements.. I don't know if it's just magazines, or her super calculated PR but I think it would be more interesting to see some of that earlier essence being explored now, as an older woman, instead of trying to pretend it never happened.

This is not Vogue, Town and Country, Hello, Grazia and i can continue...Edward this is Vogue...it’s a miss opportunity...i wouldnt mind if it was a close up shot instead of this or wouldn’t mind an indie style if only he can give us fashion, there is always a way to lift it up...i know Edward is not going anywhere soon but he could step it up, specially for March issue.

i think id' rather see her wearing more avante garde things in a studio by mert and marcus, if they were going to go soft + dreamy it should have been different from this.... idgi

Boring. McDean is not the right photographer for a shoot like this.

As with a lot of Edwards work I don’t like the poses. They need to be a bit more subtle and the b&w image is a prime example where the pose looks so contrived and uncomfortable her arms look like they’re in a knot!

He tries too hard to make it look “vogue” and it ends up with this manufactured vibe, almost like a bootleg/replica version of the magazine.

I’d bet there were much better shots to choose from for all the shots.

I’m happy to see her on the cover. That’s all.

It's quite a coup to get Angelina on a Vogue cover, I mean her last one for Wintour was like over a decade ago right?

I'm not fond of the direction Craig and Edward took the imagery here, but Angelina is one of those stars who is firmly set on the image she will and won't have portrayed of her (and why not, she's worked hard enough to deserve to do so) so I wasn't expecting anything particularly "directional" (LOL...sounds very 2013).

Let's see what's inside before slandering Edward, but oh wait, of course this is TFS so it's a must :rolleyes: (just like melting over Alt's recycled, stuffy Gilles Bensimon-y s*t covers and content, as if it's any better than the widely derided content from VP in 2012/13).

I don’t mind the first cover at all. Is it fashion-forwad? Absolutely not. Can he do better for an issue dedicated to “creativity”? Hell yes. But I actually found the shot pretty romantic. Had the WSJ masthead slapped on to the image, I’m sure the responses would have been a lot different here.~

Now the second cover to me is very Tatler-esque, which composition-wise is pretty terrible.

I like the second cover, but it does not fit into their global theme of "creativity". That's a good photo of Angelina, but I don't see creativity in there at all. Town and Country at best.

I don't know Grazia UK now has its individual thread now...:sick:

McDean and Edward used to have some amazing work for i-D, Vogue Italia and Vogue US......

I actually love that black and white cover. It's such a timeless shot and she looks so regal.

I love Angelina, and love seeing her on covers.
The first one is a stunning portrait, imo.
McDean excels at that, and he nailed it.
The second cover is totally pointless, but it would have been a genius set up for VP Harris, on American Vogue.
Also, I love that Angelina can randomly show up on the cover of a major fashion magazine, for absolutely no reason, other than being a star.:wink:

^Which just made me realise, this is her first British Vogue cover?!?
And I don't recall her appearing on VP or VI before...

She even did video promo for British Vogue, something she never did in the past for all her US Vogue covers.....

Last edited:
The first cover looks beyond gorgeous next to the AMICA looking second one.

The styling does not make sense at all...

Now Amica offers more Fashion...Actually it can beat a lot of Vogue titles...the second could be Grazia for sure...

I think the black&white cover is simple yet beautiful. She looks very elegant as always. I'd like to see this for April but March/September covers are simply dead so i guess it's still not that bad. Edward really knows how to choose cover subjects that will sell.

Every month the view of the world gets narrower & narrower :cry:
British Vogue could be so great if it showcased British culture instead it is so basic; staid & repetitive.
Keely Dawes; Michaela Coel & Juno Temple are some great British actresses that deserve a little bit of love.

THE
FUNERALS

ISSUE 20 beauty secrets
FOR YOUR LAST DAY
10 IT-COFFINS
to die for
(meet our new advertisers)

As per special request from TFS

photographed by STEVEN MEISEL

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads