UK Vogue October 2019 : Kaia Gerber by Steven Meisel

:innocent:...

Really striking and lovely cover. Very glad it's a full(er) body shot and that Joe styled instead of Edward.

It might be lacking in that modern edge that say Fabien's Interview covers had even when delivering a retro vibe but...we live in the era of beggars can't be choosers.

I LOVE THE COVER! Editorial is a little boring, but I’ll have it.
This is so refreshing after those painful September covers indeed.

I absolutely love the cover, it really should have been September. I smiled when I saw it on IG this morning.

The editorial doesn't do it for me so far, mostly because of the harsh lighting and the "pretending to be edgy" feeling. Also, I would really love an outdoor shoot with Meisel again, or even in a house. The studio shots are all starting to blend together à la Dolce & Gabbana.

black giraffe, stunning!

No, seriously her cover reminds me of Adwoa's cover from December 2017. It's
simple and clean, but it catches your attention. This is a classic Vogue cover.

When it is repeated again and again and again, we surely will all believe one day that Kaia Gerber is a supermodel in the making. It is a perfect infiltration. I didn‘t already get this, but obviously fashion people all over the world desperately want her to be a supermodel. Just like Boris Johnson wants us all to believe that we need the Brexit. Luckily I am immune to this kind of influence.

When it is repeated again and again and again, we surely will all believe one day that Kaia Gerber is a supermodel in the making. It is a perfect infiltration. I didn‘t already get this, but obviously fashion people all over the world desperately want her to be a supermodel. Just like Boris Johnson wants us all to believe that we need the Brexit. Luckily I am immune to this kind of influence.

Come on! This comparison is cruel :-D
I just wish he Brexited himself or evaporated by some magic:-D Then I'll be happy to have Kaia on 12 consecutive covers because at least she is very beautiful :-)

I have to agree with you and contrary to most people here I don´t find this special at all, it´s not bad but it is a very forgettable cover. Yes her face looks good but I mean come on it´s what the job calls for y´all lol... the styling on the other hand is overpowering her and the pose does nothing for her. I agree with MON a closeup would have worked way better. Kaia is the kind of model who will be famous no matter what anyways because she´s been forced on us by the industry and just like Kendall or Taylor Hill or Sara Sampaio she will not emote anything or won´t bring any fierceness to the camera or push herself to transform because she ``doesn´t have to´´. So her whole career will always be about looking pretty which is the antithesis of being a high fashion model: a.k.a Kaia will never be a Coco Rocha or Raquel Zimmermann or Karolina Kurkova or Linda. These models know how to transform and to truly model (the verb) and not just looking like ``a model´´ (the noun). Nepotism can take privileged people a looooooooong way in this world and Fashion is no different industry to do so lol. Cute girl but yeah not a ``supermodel´´ if we truly mean what we mean by this word.

Last edited:
I quite enjoy it but next time I hope to see an outdoor shot by Meisel.

Those two pictures are the whole editorial or it's just a preview?

Ive read elsewhere here that Edward doesn't hand over Meisel the power of control over the editorial..

With this and the editorial preview, does Edward really have authority?

It can either be
A.) Edward lost all his creative vision;
B.) Edward is a play-safe editor; or
C.) Meisel is given editorial discretion and can't be questioned over what he produces because they NEED HIM more than he needs them

Goodness, any decent editor can easily see that the results are the same month after month. Meisel produced new stuff for Franca (controversial or commercial).. but Meisel for UK Vogue is just the SAME.

Meisel knows the power he has over the magazine and is clearly taking advantage of it. Lazy photography at best.

Having a vision for the magazine (80s, commercial, indie) is okay, but to execute it in the exact same manner every single time is questionable.

PS: on the brightside, it could also be that Edward is going the Vogue Japan route... but though VJ has the same covers every month, (a) they started out that way, (b) almost all Japanese magazines are studio covers.

PS: Before some of you criticize my fair comment and reduce it to racism, may I just clarify that I've been a big fan of Edward since Vogue and his work for W. However, all this disappointment comes from the fact that I see a talented man with so much potential and was given this big of a privilege, producing this mediocrity every single month.

Thankfully Meisel didn't shoot the upcoming "special" issue, cause we would be stuck with more black and white with over the top hair and boring poses shoots.

The cover looks nice, but only because Kaia is very pretty and she looks especially great here.

With that said, the styling is terrible. So banal and heavy. It nearly overpowers the model. That cap and the big earings were so unnecessary.

My personal opinion is that Meisel has reached the time that he doesn't even try and play it safe for the magazine editorials. Sometimes I am also thinking that with him being older, maybe he doesn't want to go out and shoot on location, not to mention he has been shooting only in New York and refusing to travel for many years since he relocated there. Also, I think budget might be another reason he only produces studio shoots for them. Looking at the advertisements he did in recent seasons there were still location shoots, perhaps because brand could afford more budget for the shooting.

I guess it's hard to see Meisel does those long and controversial eds anymore, giving his age, budget, and current environment (i.e. always being politically correct).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Millam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->