UK Vogue October 2019 : Kaia Gerber by Steven Meisel

It's a beautiful cover (especially in comparison to all the junk Vogue editions have been presenting recently), and Kaia is a gorgeous girl, but I'm also a bit tired of the recreations of the vintage. Can't we have something of today? Or maybe the trademark of the 2010s is the love for the past decades?

Just pure perfection, from her sublime face to what she is wearing, to the fact its a studio shot with all those things, it's just a perfect execution! Once again, from Edward, Meisel and Joe! It works for me, every single time, and the thing is, these covers look even better in print when you see it at the newsstands.

Can't wait to get this issue, and forget about September!

YES! We get what we deserve after the pretentious September issue: Fashion! Meisel brings the best out of Kaia for sure.

Show them a petticoat. :rolleyes:

Interesting how British Vogue's hits on here always centres around Meisel. That said, I'm a sucker for all things vintage, make of that what you will. So I like this on principle alone. The styling is thematic and cohesive, for once the actual framing is less claustrophobic like it was with Zoe's, and there's an unapologetic playfulness with that print which will some will love or loathe. I like that.
But why the insistence on a white backdrop? And I wish this cover was saved for a more mature actress or model who could carry this look with confidence. Kaia doesn't, sorry. And I'm not looking forward to read yet another puff piece on her.

If you look back at his work from the past 3 years there have only been two editorials shot outside of a studio; Sofia Coppola's WSJ. feature and Naomi's March cover of British Vogue.
Now I don't know whether it's laziness, arrogance or just his new aesthetic (he does seem to be very into this modern day Avedon vibe), but for the most part I like it. I would love to see something as big and exciting as Make Love Not War, Makeover Madness or State of Emergency but I guess we're going to have to get used to studio shoots only. At least he does it with elegance and beauty, his studio portraits never disappoint.

It can either be
A.) Edward lost all his creative vision;
B.) Edward is a play-safe editor; or
C.) Meisel is given editorial discretion and can't be questioned over what he produces because they NEED HIM more than he needs them

Having a vision for the magazine (80s, commercial, indie) is okay, but to execute it in the exact same manner every single time is questionable.

#1, your post is not racism. It's a valid critique.
2... I don't think the answer is C. Meisel may be an incredible photographer but he isn't the draw that he was say, 10 years ago. A lot of photographers have come up in the last few years with a new narrative.
I think it's B, and I think it's somewhat the Vogue Japan comparison you mentioned. I think Edward wants Vogue UK to be recognizable and distinct from the others. This same cream, Avedon-vintage cover has been done several times for Vogue UK and upon viewing it this morning I automatically already knew the team behind it.

It's working already.

Is it beautiful? Eh, sometimes. But sometimes it's boring.

I think Meisel has Edward totally whipped personally, much as I like what Edward has done for UK Vogue as an EIC, even if a lot of issues are boring and I'm really not a fan of his individual POV as a stylist, the magazine is polished, classy and feels "in touch" with today.

Steven knows he can get away with these lazy studio shoots because the UK Vogue team needs him more than he needs them and EE doesn't want to ruin their relationship (as in the case of Wintour). I mean he's not shooting for any other magazine right now, and this almost feels like a statement to other publications to say 'this is what I do nowadays, on my own terms, take it or leave it...but you know you want to take it (if you could even pay me my daily rate :lol:)!'

I mean the covers he's done are consistently beautiful but the stories inside are insipid. At least there's good styling here (and how often do we see CDG in magazines in 2019?)

I also totally reject the notion that his studio work is the result of his age, he's only in his mid 60s. Demarchelier and Albert Watson have been climbing the mountains in Patagonia or the Scottish Highlands to shoot editorial and campaigns at an older age than him!

Steven knows he can get away with these lazy studio shoots because the UK Vogue team needs him more than he needs them and EE doesn't want to ruin their relationship (as in the case of Wintour

I really disagree with this statement because of your next statement:

I mean he's not shooting for any other magazine right now

I'm pretty sure he and Edward nailed down a 'look' they wanted to keep consistent to define Vogue UK's image, one based on his whole vintage Avedon schtick.

Just my opinion.

Her face looks lovely (I'm usually disturbed by how she looks like a 13 year old girl), but she is dressed like a f-ing giraffe, which feels relevant to nothing. Do not get the praise for this.

Her face looks lovely (I'm usually disturbed by how she looks like a 13 year old girl), but she is dressed like a f-ing giraffe, which feels relevant to nothing. Do not get the praise for this.

Giraffe is the new leopard print.

I am seeing Cindy not Kaia. Too much photoshop.
But breathtaking!

As I mentioned maybe in the Adwoa debut cover thread or the issue or two after...the Meisel-does-vintage-Vogue cover is distinctive and signature and looks good. Meisel, even at his laziest, has a strong enough eye that he is able to make the literal 60’s Vogue look feel appropriate and contemporary is some kind of way.

The problem is all the inbetween, non-Meisel covers of Vogue UK...I can’t recall a single one off the top of my head, except for that monstrous guest edited issue for September...and I’m remembering it for all the wrong reasons.

If Edward were a better editor, he would have Meisel do all covers and mine the 60’s Vogue aesthetic for the covers for each issue...unexpected cover stars, new models, tried and true favorites....all could get this particular Vogue treatment to great effect. The magazine would at least have some consistent and recognizable identity.

^ :rofl:

Whoa, so much assumptions when it comes to Meisel, and his work for Edward. Because of that alone, it would be epic if Edward got him to sit down for an interview. If anyone can do it, it would be him, I don't think he has done an interview in a long while.

It’s a beautiful cover with what I assume will be a beautiful ed.
The problem is how formulatic the whole thing is... I almost wonder if Meisel is not preparing a book or an exhibition because all those eds looks like they are part of the same project.
I think that sadly, Edward doesn’t have the personality or the vision that will challenge or excite Meisel.
Franca was the mastermind behind all their fabulous work at VI and W offered a platform that was maybe less restrictive.

It’s a pity that he doesn’t fully take advantage of working with Meisel. He can do studio shots like no other...try something with that then....

I wonder what a mainly shot by Meisel issue of VUK can look like.

True Lola, even though the autumn Versace campaign is also studio based, the colour and props instantly makes it seem superior to any of his British Vogue edits.

the best models need not a stitch of make up to captivate. Kaia seems to need pounds of it to not look like a sullen, sleep deprived teenager. i don't get her appeal. i like the throwback cover vibes but apart from the easy nostalgia factor there's not much going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelkt
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->