UK Vogue September 2017 : Kate, Stella, Edie, Jean & Nora by Mario Testino

gbam

Reaction score
Models: Edie Campbell, Jean Campbell, Nora Attal, Stella Tennant & Kate Moss

tumblr_otxjapa3AD1rbl893o1_1280.jpg

my photo (love magazine)

Nothing groundbreaking, just a pretty group shot. Kate clearly dominates it and I'm glad to see all this McQueen on the cover. Excited for Edward's reign to start!

Kate looks really good and not too overly photoshoped...

All except the brunette girl look like they just stepped out of the shower.

What a bore! It really is such a shame....
You would think Alexandra Shulman would go out with a bang?

I had already seen this dreadful cover and I'm as unimpressed as the first time. Lousy styling, which has become a UK Vogue treadmark, kills it for me.

Isn't it just a preview? It looks tragic for a farewell issue anyway.

My issue with it is that there's nothing original. Positioning of the girls is bad, yet again we have festive sheer dresses, and why is Kate trying to be sultry?

I hope that this issue will at least showcase some of Alexandra's favourite covers, shoots, features, scoops. Some of British Vogue's highlights. She can for instance tell us how she got the Nigella Nawson exclusive over Vanity Fair and US Vogue. Because love her or hate her, she's become synonymous with this magazine for the public at large perhaps in the same vein as Anna Wintour with American Vogue, especially towards the end.

I like what they are wearing and I like the way they are posed/arranged but what kills this cover is that they are all dead behind the eyes; so at least they managed to sum up the general vibe of the magazine over the past few years with Alexandra's final cover.

I'm looking forward to seeing what's inside though and I can't wait to see Edward's first proper issue in a couple of months.

I like the glamour but there's a real lack of life in the shot. Would it have been so bad if they'd been allowed to smile?

Nothing extraordinary, but I'm liking it.
Stella and Kate look fab!

i find it fascinating that they're dedicating the issue to the out going editor. This is surely quite uncommon? I've always thought editors played a relatively invisible role outside of the editor's letter, so to reference Alexandra so blatantly is a curious proposition. Generally the editor is synonymous with the magazine e.g the editors don't have anniversaries, the magazine has anniversaries. The content may be very memorable, at the very least it's a collector's edition.

Finally!!!!! now I can't wait to see the October issue.

^The (potential) cover shots for October can be found way back in the Cover Rumour thread.

306 issues, 25 years and you go with that?
This is more annoying than anything. I bet market research dictated this cover.

You would think that after 25 years, she has developped a kind of passion for fashion but no...Just another boring cover. It's a pity because she has done some wonderful things for Vogue Uk but it seems like she doesn't have any vision, any point of view...And no need to be a trained stylist to do that (look at US VOGUE by Anna).

I'm so ready for Edward because at least, we all know that he will have a vision...

The eds better be good...

i find it fascinating that they're dedicating the issue to the out going editor. This is surely quite uncommon?

In a way I don't think so. I should say that on TFS we are way more clued up than the girl on the street. We'd be able to look at images and instantly point from which era/edition it stems from. But the magazine is not being created with us in mind. That said, starting with the Duchess Catherine cover to the documentary right through to Edward's appointment, I'd say that Alexandra may have been at her most famous yet.
I also think that the magazine landscape changed tremendously. Nowadays EIC's are no longer invisible. They're very much associated with the magazine. Why do they have so many SM followers then? Franca had her 'farewell' issue. You could say it was due to her passing, but I don't recall Liz Tilberis ever getting hers. I've heard some nasty rumours about Kirtie Clements' departure, so I'm not shocked she never got hers. And had Carine not been sacked by those evil CN cohorts we'd certainly have seen the same for her, I'm sure. I think this fitting personally. When you've made a profound impact on a magazine I do think you at least deserve that (now whether said impact was good or bad is another story).

It's a pity because she has done some wonderful things for Vogue Uk but it seems like she doesn't have any vision, any point of view.....

She's dictated by fear, you see. Fear that her intuitive judgement of a shot may result in a bad selling issue. Every single issue must perform a certain way. This is what happens if your consistently impress your superiors with glowing sales figures - they'll expect you to follow it up time and time again. It's just a bit sad really (I'm over being annoyed at her) when you think of the power she wielded, the freedom she had, and this is how it must end. Oh well.

Last edited by a moderator:
i really dislike everything about this cover, save for stella. she looks amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
westernsoc
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->