Underrated Designers

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by Scott, Dec 19, 2003.

1. new_dawn_fades

living in australia i feel akira igosawa is quite underrated.. im not sayin that i like his work but i feel he needs more credit.

that and Haartman and Nordenholz .. i cant seem to think of too many names at the moment...

2. Hye Park Lover

Hye Park Lover New Member

I don't know how valid my contribution is, but from my limited fashion knowledge, I have to say Jean Pierre Braganza (his work is incredibly beautiful and very much influenced by grunge. It is like what Marc Jacobs what trying to achieve this season, but failed miserably)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    fuk.co.uk

He shows at London Fashion Week, but his clothes has only been available in the UK once or twice (at certain fashion festivals). So many people would be amazed by his work if he had more exposure. In fact I think most of the designers who show at London Fashion Week have talent but fail to get the recognition they deserve.

Future Classics
    [​IMG]

Karen Walker
    [​IMG]

Roksanda Ilincic
    [​IMG]

Robert Cary-Williams
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Giles Deacon
    [​IMG]

Jessica Ogden
    [​IMG]

(fuk.co.uk, Vogue.co.uk)

#82 Hye Park Lover, Apr 23, 2006
    Last edited by moderator : Apr 23, 2006
  3. MilkShake

MilkShake New Member

sara berman and most of japanese designers

4. corman

corman New Member

hye park lover the photos you have post of braganza clothes are amazing,the coat is stunning!:heart:

5. iyemstoopid

iyemstoopid New Member

great list hpl. why havent I heard of this Roksanda Ilincic? shes great!

though hes been around, I think hussein chalayan deserves more recognition.

6. desiscratch

desiscratch New Member

heard of gianni molaro??

7. susie_bubble

susie_bubble New Member

A lot of these designers listed although very much well known to those in the fashion know (i.e. lots of TFS-ers!), are not really successful on an international commercial level....... but with some designers, I think that's ok. Labels like Future Classics and Jean Pierre Braganza - I like the fact that they have a small but staunch following. I think a lot of labels don't necessarily need to be mainstreamed to be successful.

8. Crying Diamonds

Crying Diamonds Geometric Discharge

I'm going to say Fendi.
    Fendi may be a huge label recognized by many, but I think it's mostly recognized for it's covetable accessories. Fendi is like Lagerfeld's experimental brand and I really don't think it's appreciated as much as it should be. I guess the chance to experiment with fur leads to experimenting with all of the fabrics he uses, but I think people just look at photographs of the new Fendi collection, see a lot of different shapes that don't appeal to them and then ignore it, when the art is always in motion - noone stays as still as a photograph, and neither do clothes.
    Lagerfeld continues to surprise me with the new designs he churns out for each of his major fashion labels, but none please me as much as at Fendi.
    Fendi is the sort of house I'd like to work for.

[​IMG][​IMG]

style.com

9. Creative

Creative Well-Known Member

There are not underrated designers, only overrated ones. B) That's what makes fashion so dull and boring right now, there're a lot of overrated people out there. Too many.

10. Squizree

Squizree Looking Up

A.F Vandevorst FOR SURE!