US Harper’s Bazaar November 2020 : Liya Kebede by Christopher Anderson

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by vogue28, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Not the strongest debut. The composition is off, and I don't like her expression. Agree with Last Night that it could be a cover of any international edition.

But more importantly, it's way too out of season. Would be a great June cover.

YSL87 and Ghesquiere32 like this.
  2. 8eight

8eight Well-Known Member

that collar bone...

aracic and Benn98 like this.
  3. Ken Doll Jenner

Ken Doll Jenner Well-Known Member

That was the face I made after a day of non-stop zoom calls.

Ghesquiere32 likes this.
  4. MagFan

MagFan Well-Known Member

they also have making-of video on the site. Julia Nobis and Mayowa are in eds

5. jal718

jal718 Well-Known Member

Simply awful

Ghesquiere32 likes this.
  6. SRank

SRank Well-Known Member

I don't dislike her expression, but I think that, for a debut issue, a smile would be better. I'm not digging the cropping here either....

But it's Liya!!! On the cover of a major american magazine!!!!!

Ivancica likes this.
  7. SLFC

SLFC Well-Known Member

I'm so conflicted, its not a good debut. I'm not too much of a fan of the composition, and her expression is off, but perhaps its a glimmer of hope that there could be more real models getting covers. I didn't expect it at all, especially Liya Kebede, this has to be a huge deal.

8. kokobombon

kokobombon Well-Known Member

I´m kinda liking the disdain of her expression :stuart: the hair looks bad though imo...

Lola701 likes this.
  9. Summer Day

Summer Day Active Member

Love Liya and Im always excited to see her. But I'm not loving her on this cover and her hair... Also, the composition is off to me. The second cover is a smidge better. Her smile definitely saves it. But I'm excited to see more and again always happy to see Liya.

10. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I believe Liya's US Vogue cover sold really poorly on newsstands. I wonder if the Harper's, or even the American, reader will connect with her. Will they know who she is considering she hardly appeared in this magazine or other in other American titles? Especially after being so conditioned by hyper celebrity culture under Glenda.

11. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

Considering how regular she was in US Vogue at the time, I’ve always found it weird. She was the face of Estée Lauder and the cover was tied with the MET 2005 about Chanel...

I don’t think people may connect with her today. In a weird way, she is as iconic as Naomi for the HF crowd. The consistency of her career is kinda impressive...
    Maybe Samira did this as a statement because she knows it won’t perform well.

Your comment makes me wonder how Tyra performed in 2008.

caioherrero likes this.
  12. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

It's an untested choice when you consider Demi Lovato appeared on the cover a few months ago. As untested as Aurora James was for US Vogue, but in the end that cover got a lot of press although I'm not sure it helped with the sales. Maybe the same will happen with Liya.

I think that with Tyra most would've known her from ANTM or her talk show, but Daria and Lara? Wonder how they sold as well because even back then they were odd choices for a magazine who appeared obsessed with Kim Kardashian.

Lola701 likes this.
  13. SLFC

SLFC Well-Known Member

Don't forget Anna Ewers, and Miranda Kerr as well.

14. bluestar

bluestar Well-Known Member

I'm so happy for Liya but so unhappy with this result. Why did they choose that photo as the cover? The editorial is pretty weak as well. C'mon HB :(

Minerva13 likes this.
  15. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

Most editors like to announce their arrival by producing something "iconic" for their first issue... Samira has just stepped quietly into the room.

Phuel likes this.
  16. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

^^^ ....Quietly. And wearing her Sears dress.

Ghesquiere32 likes this.
  17. MagFan

MagFan Well-Known Member

18. aracic

aracic Moderator

When I saw the thread title I was prepared to parise this into heavens, but I ended up massively disappointed. I am very happy that Samira appears to be going in a more fashion direction, Liya was an incredible model choice for a debut issue! However, it lacks vision and direction and.. well, everything. It looks like a pretty dull story so far. I'm willing to look past this because I'm still impressed to see Liya here and it's just a start. Let's give her a chance to find her footing and make this magazine a good one (one can only hope...)

Minerva13 and slayage like this.
  19. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

^^ ^ She’s a well-seasoned vet of the industry— a privileged elitist who ought to possess of a distinct direction. And all she can conjure up is the equivalent aesthetic of rejected frames from test shots that even mid-range department stores wouldn’t print— and for her inaugural cover to boot LOL I get we’re in an era where faux-rawness/realness is what all the supposed cool kidz are into. But when your direction for a paid publication is the same as what everyone posts on Insta, what’s the point of anyone paying for this? Sure it’s Liya and I’m sure she’s wearing all the usual suspects of expensive sponsors, just that there’s no dream to inspire and aspire to here: just the depressing reality.

20. GivenchyAddict

GivenchyAddict Well-Known Member

^Well, the styling is so low key and with not a strong proper theme to match with Liya Kebede's beauty that the editorial is very... Sunday Times Style.