US Harper's Bazaar November 2023 : Leanne de Haan by Amy Troost

I don't like this cover image or the top of the dress. I like the couture editorial inside more. Also, I do appeciate seeing a model on the cover. However, the fashion photography at US Harper's Bazaar has become predictable and bland. Month after month, I keep seeing more misses than hits.

Last edited:
how did this model land a US Harper’s Bazaar cover???
for sure, all models deserve to be on the cover of a fashion magazine but with so many other models that are easily more recognisable and I’m assuming that’s important also to sell the glossy I’m surprise with the unusual choice.

The Home Issue but the cover and editorial are outdoor. It takes guts and delusion to defend Samira anymore.

Though kudos to them for featuring a new face on their cover this month. It's a risky move in an obsolete state of print media, but at least they're doing something.

I'm not entirely sure why I even open new threads anymore. I think that a tractor related magazine would spark more enthusiasm in me.

LOL The deadpan blandness that is so stubbornly consistent with this Bazaar that’s understandably so insufferable to many is what I find nearly charming. A plain-Jane model wearing HC hanging around a truckstop/loading dock in that no-fcuks given street photography aesthetic works he— and pretty much nails the best of what this Bazaar is about. … For a refined Bazaar, there’s the French and Italian versions: French Bazaar has this easygoing, non-fussy feminine, and always sunny attitude that’s very Emmanuelle’s Vogue. It serves as a great alternative to Italian Bazaar’s more formal, more proper and even more mature sensibility. And American Bazaar is that sloppy black sheep thorn-on-the-side that’s full of potential, but reliably disappointing at the end.

I can't help but wonder what on earth Samira's general worldview and temperament must be like to produce such bland, boring, depressing and drab issues every damn month? Is this a woman who ever smiles?

how did this model land a US Harper’s Bazaar cover???
for sure, all models deserve to be on the cover of a fashion magazine but with so many other models that are easily more recognisable and I’m assuming that’s important also to sell the glossy I’m surprise with the unusual choice.
Seriously I need to know. Sorry but talk about.. bland. Of all models out there who could’ve landed this, this was their choice?

How crazy to make such a horrible cover when you know that the basic cover formula is supposed to make us DREAM / TRAVEL / SEE BEAUTY / BE IN AWE and here it's the complete opposite. That face makes you want to jump from a window LOL.

Miserable and bland beyond belief. The covers of American Harper’s Bazaar have never been the most energetic, lively and polished over recent years but this just reeks of last-minute cover shoot, IMO.

I like it because there's a unknown model on the cover! Takes me back when a new model made it into Vogue Italia or Paris. Fashion magazines used to launch so many careers. Now instagram, tik tok and a famous family make that happen. To me the choice is surreal and so welcome. American magazines don't do something like this in ages.

^ also, the faces we'd see back then. Remember those Vogue Paris covers with Rose Cordero, Anna Selezneva, or the Vogue Italia one with Elise Crombez?. It was a perfect combination of poise and otherworldliness in front of the lens, and talent behind the lens. Amy Troost is okay, and this girl is okay, but the two combined still can't bring even 1/4 of that VI cover. Kind of makes you wonder if they're other fields' wasted talents that are inexplicably dead set on fashion...

Yeah, the quality is too simple. But I want to see new faces! I ask for that.

I would love to know if the sales compared to Glenda's Bazaar. I miss Glenda.

How crazy to make such a horrible cover when you know that the basic cover formula is supposed to make us DREAM / TRAVEL / SEE BEAUTY / BE IN AWE and here it's the complete opposite. That face makes you want to jump from a window LOL.

That dream died a long time ago when Liz Tilberis passed. Because whatever Glenda offered was the beginning of a nightmare.

I’m convinced this Bazaar despises high fashion— and beauty and travel, and dreams, and its “creative” team wouldn’t know art direction if their lives depended on it. This Bazaar is so desperate to be poignantly intellectual, social and political and yet hilariously clueless on all these matters when Samira exposes her plush privileged life with her pro-Palestine posts that having “no water and electricity is the most inhumane thing she’s ever seen” LMFAO …Lady, there are people living day to day in 2023 without water and electricity all over the world— even in some parts of the USA in 2023… And you know what? This Bazaar should shoot on-location on a bus, in a strip mall, amongst outlet malls and supermarkets, in abandoned malls all over the US, welfare office, in housing projects… Maybe even shoot in some place in the Appalachian community where some don’t have :gasp:running water and electricity:gasp:

(And despite all this Bazaar’s phoney baloney realness, it’s still more distinctive and even interesting than whatever all the western Vogues have become.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tupiniquim
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->