US InStyle April 2020 : Katie Holmes by Sebastian Faena

Photographed by Sebastian Faena
Styled by Julia von Boehm
Hair: DJ Quintero
Makeup: Genevieve Herr
Manicure: Elle

instyle.com

In what world is this appealing? The styling, someone got paid for that? Goodness.

The level of taste (or the lack thereof) this magazine is showing is sincerely questionable. Tons of magazines are ceasing publication while US InStyle gets a free pass to be this pedestrian.

The former Editor ended on a high note. The font, the look, the vibe. On point! Laura had a good foundation to build on, but she decided to disregard it all be this pedestrian. Tragic.

Good thing she’s staying in Bazaar. She knows she’ll get sacked immediately in Bazaar.

If I were Nina, I’d campaign for the cessation of Bazaar and InStyle to consolidate funding to my magazine and Marie Claire. Bazaar and InStyle are both huge waste of funds and paper.

The woman on the cover and the woman in the editorial is not the same person. Either match the retouching or tone it down on the cover!

It's an alright (even beautiful) image of Katie, although a bit bland. I may not always like their covers, but I appreciate their steady direction. Laura knows what she's doing.

In what world is this appealing? The styling, someone got paid for that? Goodness.

The level of taste (or the lack thereof) this magazine is showing is sincerely questionable. Tons of magazines are ceasing publication while US InStyle gets a free pass to be this pedestrian.

The former Editor ended on a high note. The font, the look, the vibe. On point! Laura had a good foundation to build on, but she decided to disregard it all be this pedestrian. Tragic.

Good thing she’s staying in Bazaar. She knows she’ll get sacked immediately in Bazaar.

If I were Nina, I’d campaign for the cessation of Bazaar and InStyle to consolidate funding to my magazine and Marie Claire. Bazaar and InStyle are both huge waste of funds and paper.

LOL. While I can actually picture the Woman & Home masthead on that cover instead, I do think this is the right styling for Katie. It's where she excels. She's not a January Jones who you can style in both an edgy and accessible way and that's ok for me. So I'm actually quite chuffed with the cover. Basic taste, I know.

I think Instyle was owned by Time inc, who then sold it to Meredith. At Meredith, they are the only fashion title on the portfolio. And you can simply tell by the type of ads in this magazine that it is not being managed by someone in the fashion circles. Some months the first double-page ads after the cover (prime real easte!) go to a shampoo brand instead of a high fashion brand.
Speaking of Ariel....did you know that when he started Instyle deliberately withheld his picture on all his editor's letters because they didn't want to let on that he was a man? And because of his gender-neutral name it was easy to get away with it. It was only once people showed interest in his direction and the magazine that they published his picture. That piece of trivia I got off a podcast interview with him.

It was only once people showed interest in his direction and the magazine that they published his picture. That piece of trivia I got off a podcast interview with him.

And now you see some male editors these days outside the editor's page, and in the official social media accounts accompanied by pieces to lift their ego. I mean, wow we've improved.

I do agree with the Katie styling, but the magazine should have at least challenged her??

Why Katie Holmes? Is she in a new series/movie? Very lackluster cover. March was way better.

I do always feel like Laura Brown's heart and soul is in each and every cover shoot, which I appreciate from an editor in this current economic climate and I also certainly do not mind the sight of Katie Holmes. I love that black and white photograph of her smiling!

Yet why did Faena (or someone at InStyle) feel the need to remove part of Katie's leg/foot from the cover shot? Clearly removed to make the cover image feel cleaner but just looks awkward.

I actually like this. She's not the most edgy actress out there but this is strong and confident.

US InStyle April 2020

Holmes Is Where the Heart Is

Photographer: Sebastian Faena
Stylist: Julia Von Boehm
Makeup: Genevieve Herr
Manicure: Elle
Cast: Katie Holmes

US InStyle Digital Edition

US InStyle April 2020

Naughty Forties

Photographer: Steven Pan
Stylist: Katie Mossman
Hair: David Von Cannon
Makeup: Violette
Cast: Lameka Fox

US InStyle April 2020

Jewel Purpose

Photographer: Tom Allen
Stylist: Vanessa Chow
Hair: Shinya Nakagawa
Makeup: Sam Visser
Manicure: Yukie Miyakawa
Cast: Rowan Blanchard

US InStyle April 2020

Mind Bender

Photographer: Olivia Malone
Stylist: Rebecca Ramsey
Hair: Nikki Providence
Makeup: Natasha Severino
Cast: Miranda July

US InStyle April 2020

On Demand

Photographer: Mark Lim
Stylist: Lotte Elisa
Hair: Shinya Nakagawa
Makeup: Caitlin Wooters
Manicure: Yukie Miyakawa
Cast: Georgia Chambers

HOLMES IS WHERE THE HEART IS (Full ed, Textless, HQ)
Photographer: Sebastian Faena
Stylist: Julia Von Boehm
Make-Up: Genevieve Herr
Model/Celebrity: Katie Holmes

NAUGHTY FORTIES (Textless)
Photographer: Steven Pan
Stylist: Katie Mossman
Hair: David von Cannon
Make-Up: Violette
Model: Lameka Fox