US Vogue April 2010 : Gisele Bündchen by Patrick Demarchelier

I knew it was going to be gisele! anyways this is the prettiest i've seen her facially but i sort of hate the styling, the background feels refreshing and the colors complement each other and I have to agree; very 90's indeed... some eds seem promising... I wanna read the eating disorder article... and I can't wait for the mcqueen feature

so good to see her again. not a very big fan of the cover, it just looks good.

I was really hoping the cover would be Daria and the styling of it is awful, but I am glad there's model on the cover at all.

I'm not a huge fan of the cover but it's good to see a model on the cover of US Vogue, even if it's Gisele who has appeared on it thousands of times.
Those unk. models in that review just make me wonder who's who :D

gisese has a new skincare line she co-created. she may be trying to promote that in the story.

Thank you Lord that Gisele doesn`t look like a wax doll (which is typical for Vogue US cover) as well as a real live woman. The styling ... hmmm ... as if it weren`t the last 15 years. But who cares when we have a model (!) on the cover.

This is a very good cover, I don't care if it looks too "90s" the last time we had a halfway decent American Vogue was in the 90s and I'd be glad to see the return of that.

It's a supermodel on the cover of US Vogue, looking gorgeous and confident - sometimes it's the simple things that make me happy.

^ I love the pictures especially the one where she's diving.

19729c6f104f.jpg

Behind the scenes

New mom Gisele Bündchen is saving forests and rivers and empowering troubled teens with her natural beauty line. Joan Juliet Buck talks to the übermodel about her eco interests and life with Tom Brady.

The most famous model in the world and the most famous quarterback in America live in a small building in the center of Boston. A tiny elevator opens into a massive loft. Patricia, Gisele's shorter, blonde twin sister, greets me with "Don't look at her." She's pointing down at Lua, a bull-terrier mix who just might bite.

I can't see Gisele Bündchen. In a wide living room, between two slate fireplaces, cradling a six-week-old baby in a deep armchair, is a slight, fine-boned woman. With skinny thighs in taupe jeans, socks that barely cover the ankles, UGG mules, and a cotton sweater, this is not the towering Amazon queen of fashion famous for her glare, mane, and swagger. She seems as ethereal as Audrey Hepburn when she was Rima the bird girl in Green Mansions, as expressive as Julia Roberts in mid-grin, as unearthly as a Na'vi. Her hair is pulled back into a careful pillbox of a bun, and her ears stick out a little. The pinup goddess who was the emblem of Victoria's Secret is breast-feeding her baby and a little embarrassed about exposing her breast in front of me.

She talks in a low, grainy voice with a soft accent in a rush of words, interrupts her own flow to ask the baby, "O que é que foi?"—"What is it?" To which the baby happily replies in a well-modulated series of gurgles.

The baby is called Benjamin Rein: "I wanted him to be called River because I wanted something always flowing, immortal. My husband said, 'There's no way we're going to call him River.' But my father's name is Reinoldo, so it's a homage to him. And it's like water."

Benjamin was born at home, in warm water in a deep bathtub that overlooks the Charles River. "I wanted to experience the transformation," says Gisele. A midwife friend of hers came in from Brazil as did her mother; her husband was there too. Gisele meditated through the birth. "It was the most amazing experience of my life, feeling him come through my body. And once he was born, I never felt so empowered as looking at him and thinking, Oh, my God, we did it together!"

She was up the next day, cooking and wandering around the vast apartment where her mother is staying in the guest room to help out—"I don't trust anyone else with Benjamin." She's regained her figure, apparently instantly and with no more exercise than some yoga on a mat in the living room. "I think it's muscle memory," she says. Gisele has always been in shape: Born one of six girls in the German-speaking hamlet of Horizontina in southern Brazil, she spent her childhood outdoors, "like a little monkey, jumping from tree to tree in bare feet." An athlete, she was captain of her volleyball team and hasn't stopped. "I did kung fu up until two weeks before Benjamin was born, and yoga three days a week. I think a lot of people get pregnant and decide they can turn into garbage disposals. I was mindful about what I ate, and I gained only 30 pounds."

Her idea of family is a big family. "I'm so lucky to have my little munchkin, and I have two because I also have John." John, a.k.a. Jack, is her stepson, now two and a half, born to Bridget Moynahan after Moynahan's breakup with Tom Brady. The press went wild last year when Gisele said she loved Jack as her own. He spent the end of the Christmas holiday with them. "We don't see him all the time, unfortunately, but we're building a place in Los Angeles to be closer to him." For the last three years, she's vanished with Brady each winter for a month into her house in the jungle in Costa Rica.

At 29, the last and richest of the supermodels has given in to her preference for the inner life. Gisele has sold her New York town house. "I'm really a Bostonian now," she says, with all the sober, studious implications of that move: "I get to work on all my projects and have time to immerse myself in all the things I'm so passionate about." Within the year she will have launched three beauty products designed to alter the self-image of young women—a line called Sejaa. Seja means "to be" in Portuguese. She added the extra a because, she says, "words have a vibration, and aaah! is an exhalation, what you feel when you let go."

She's been an activist for years: In 2003, having spent time with Amazonian Indians who were being sickened by runoff waters poisoned as a result of deforestation, she arranged with the Brazilian firm Grendene to produce a collection of flip-flops under her name. The profits go toward replanting the Amazonian forest. That endeavor still goes on, and so far 25,000 trees have been replanted. With her family she started Projeto Água Limpa to clean up the river near Horizontina. An ecologically conscious comic book is also in the making: Gisele and the Green Team. Recently named a U.N. goodwill ambassador for environmental issues, Gisele is working those very problems into the story lines of the comic, whose profits will go to her foundation, the Luz. The foundation sponsors everything from yoga in schools to reforestation. Her Web site is already full of environmental advice, much of it dispensed by a cartoon version of Vida the Yorkie, her lapdog. Bündchen is contained, discreet, probably strategic but supremely elegant in her behavior. Not once in three hours does she mention that she has just given the Red Cross $1.5 million for Haiti.

Gisele has not left the apartment for six weeks. "Too cold," she says, pointing her chin at the winter rain beyond the window. A fire crackles in one of the fireplaces; the possibly dangerous dog Lua settles at my feet; Vida the Yorkie flops onto the carpet. Patricia brings tea and cashew clusters; she is Gisele's Brazilian agent and also runs the Web site, and she has come up for a few days to meet the baby. The place feels intimate, safe. Gisele's mother is napping; Brady, recuperating from a knee operation, is at a charity event for the Boston Centers for Youth & Families, where he'll alarm the press by announcing, "We're all way overpaid." He'll be home in two hours.

Bündchen kept herself out of the public eye for months. "I felt like my pregnancy was a sacred moment for me. I stayed in Boston and I didn't work apart from the contracts I have, and then I only let them use my face."

Today she left the apartment and the baby for the first time to pose for one of her advertising clients, which explains the chignon. "I got to the studio and I felt like I was E.T.—whoa, what's going on? Hair and makeup? I hadn't looked at myself in a mirror for a month and a half. I'd been in my house, in a cocoon with my kids, my husband, my dogs. Usually, as I walk through the door into that atmosphere, I already feel different. There's a button that goes On and I'm On. And when I go On, there is almost no me; there is just a character who is doing all this. This time it wasn't like that. I've been really inside with my husband and my baby, and everything is changed. But the client still deserves respect and professionalism, and I got a little bit concerned because I wasn't feeling it. Makeup was done, hair was done, and I looked in the mirror and I still wasn't seeing the person who's a model."

"Who was the woman you saw in the mirror?" I ask.

"For the first time, I think I actually saw me—the inside—instead of the persona."

The persona turned up for the second photo, much to the relief of the photographer David Sims and the Brazilian client.

Gisele started early; by fifteen she was in a "model apartment" in New York, or folded into airline coach seats to go to model in Italy, France, Japan. There's a small tattoo of a star inside her left wrist. "My grandmother told me and my sisters that everyone has a special star. I looked at my star every night before bed, just like brushing my teeth. When I came to New York and I opened the window of the thirty-fifth-floor apartment, there's light pollution and fog, and I couldn't see my star. So I drew it on my wrist with a pen, but it kept washing away. Then I went to a tattoo parlor on Second Avenue and had it done. It was something I had been missing, and now, no matter where I went, it came with me."

She consciously created the Gisele persona as she started to become a star herself. "I was in the fashion shows in Milan, I was seventeen, I was doing like 100 shows. People were asking, 'How does it feel to be the model of the moment?' It was hard for me to answer as myself. I barely spoke English. I thought, I have to give my best because they trust me with that. I invented this other person, and she could do everything. She wasn't afraid; she was able to be ballsy and risky and sexy or androgynous. She was bold. I had to believe in myself as this person that was strong, up-front, invincible, and positive, who knew what she was doing, even though I really didn't.

"I've worked for fourteen years, but I don't think anybody in the business really knows me, because there is that other person."

Gisele Bündchen's private life has kept its mystery, and she's let her avatar, the übermodel, take all the flashbulbs. Some years ago, when she felt that her life was nothing more than "get up, take pictures, go to sleep, get up, take pictures," she took off six months. She also logged on to Amazon.com and typed in SPIRITUAL BOOKS, which led to a passion for the writings of Miguel Ruiz, which taught her to rely on her own instinct: "The more you trust your intuition, the more empowered you become, the stronger you become, and the happier you become."

Three years ago, when Gisele met Tom Brady, she moved up to Boston to be with him. It was a vocational as well as an emotional turning point.

"I'm a person who normally works 300 days a year, and here I am in Boston in this apartment and Tom's playing, and what do I do here? On my Web site, a lot of girls were asking me questions about feeling awkward. I wanted to work with girls who were fourteen to sixteen." She wanted to be heard and chose the Massachusetts Alliance of Portuguese Speakers—"They take care of girls from shelters, girls who have been abused. I came up with a nine-week program and went to talk to them about empowerment and self-esteem."

It was a shock.

"I thought I was going to be able to save them, guide them. When I got there they were like, 'Who are you?' There were a lot of Latina and black girls. In Brazil, everyone is a mixture, and no one thinks about it. In America, maybe you have more problems with that. It took me a week or two just to get them to sit down with me and talk. I had my yoga teacher come up from New York to teach them yoga. I wanted to share something, but I ended up realizing that you cannot save anybody. I forced it, and it didn't quite go through."

Sejaa was born of that frustration, as a way for Bündchen to impart some of what she has learned, but by subliminal means.

"I wanted to teach girls to love themselves and take care of their bodies. What is the first thing you see every morning? Your face! What do you put every day on your face? Cream! I have made the simplest, purest cream—an everyday cream—but it comes with an affirmation."

Her manufacturers, she says, "were ready to kill me. I wanted the cream to be organic—they explained that if it's organic, it's alive, and that means it can't survive for a long time." The products are now called "natural," the ingredients are held to a high standard of purity, and the preservative is coconut oil.

She also wanted a mud mask. A real mud mask.

"When I was a teenager, I had pimples—oh, God, every time someone looked at my face I thought they were looking at my pimples. I put mud on my face to dry them out, and it worked. "I can do all this because I'm financing it on my own terms, and if I want to give away 5 percent of everything I make, no one can tell me not to."

Sejaa will not be sold in stores but on a Web site, to create a community—"So I can give my little tips, and it's not me telling anyone to have an awakening."

There's a noise in the front hall.

"It's my hubbeeeeeee!" says Gisele.

Into the dark room comes Tom Brady. He's tall, with a deep voice, the face of a young boy, and longish hair. Wearing a dark-blue zipped-up sweater, he treads the carpet with sweetly controlled impatience. Vida the Yorkie wakes from her slumber and goes berserk. Some swift Tom Brady moves prevent Vida from pissing with joy on the carpet, but the interview is going to be cut short. Patricia brings in the packaging for Sejaa, a recycled-cardboard box with an interesting sliding tab that reveals different—empowering—keywords behind it, and inside, three products: the day cream, a night cream, and the mud mask, along with a bamboo washcloth.

Gisele hands Benjamin to Patricia, rises, and unfolds, all length and purpose, and gets me moving: I'm whisked across the hall to receive a bunch of Miguel Ruiz books in the open kitchen, taken to another floor to see the baby crib and the vast collection of essential oils that have gone into Sejaa, then kissed and hugged before she bathes Benjamin.

There are two secrets, says Gisele on parting:

"The first is wake up in the morning and be grateful you are here, alive and healthy. And the second is: Give."

I follow Patricia's cowboy boots back up the stairs. The rain is still pelting down, black and icy. "How do I call a cab?" I ask.

No need for a cab. Tom Brady drives me back to my hotel.

vogue.com

The video is lovely, and she looks so shy infront of the camera, which surprised me, never seen her like that. So glad that Joan did the piece on her, and of course Tonne Goodman is behind the horrible styling, i should have known. :sick:

After looking cover again, I appreciate it more than before, and actually think that it's a good cover. But the editorial is just...nothing, absolutely disappointing.

Love love love the cover! Her ed seems to be randomly placed together.

Karlie, what a wonderful surprise! Just BUZZ :rolleyes: As usually with Vogue US it's only 1/5 of the content that keeps me interested. Can't wait to see Kim's and Liya's shots.

her ed seems to really be inspired by her new skin care she is promoting. the pictures look identical. Love the cover! thanks for interivew :wub:

The shape issue is always lackluster- at least it has been since they stopped doing the main editorial that uses a variety of models (slender, curvy, pregnant, tall, short). The cover shot is nice though, and the picture of her pregnant is beautiful.

Ten bucks says "Beating It" is about/by Coco Rocha.

Cover looks good! But I was hoping it was someone other than Gisele, but I can't complain.. I love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snork
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->