US Vogue August 2009 : Christy Turlington by Steven Klein

^I couldn't agree with you more. I never used to be interested in US Vogue until the August 2008 issue.
After that I have started to collect them. I just regret not been interested in it before.

I'm looking forward to seeing Raquel's editorial.

I think people have gotten in the habit of trashing U.S. Vogue to the point where it is now just a bandwagon effect. Anna finally put some new faces on the cover this year- several new faces in a row to be exact including two women of color. There have been some very good editorials this year and the articles-excepting Plum Syke's vapid rantings-- have always been stellar.

IMO it's gotten a lot better in the last few month. A LOT.

I entirely agree. Editorial wise there has been a good number of new girls showing up and there has also been more experimentation than before. I hope it continues that way.
By the way, are there any news on content yet or is it too soon?

I agree. US Vogue has its niche and will never deviate from their formula but they've really tried to widen their appeal these past few months and I thought that was pretty obvious. Do people really expect it to be Numero/Vogue Paris/Italia? It's not happening, at least not in the near future even if Anna wanted to.

I wish Christy Turlington looked better in the cover, she looks odd... but it's great that she is on the cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the cover will look better in HQ... When's it coming out? I want to see it on their website, i'm tired of Sienna popping out all of the time

I think people have gotten in the habit of trashing U.S. Vogue to the point where it is now just a bandwagon effect. Anna finally put some new faces on the cover this year- several new faces in a row to be exact including two women of color. There have been some very good editorials this year and the articles-excepting Plum Syke's vapid rantings-- have always been stellar.

i agree.

She somehow looks very 'pulled up' like the eyebrows etc.

Christy is very elegant and gorgeous beyond belief, but I think the Age Issue is the most boring issue of the year - to be concise. I wish Vogue would invest in more 'multiple subject' covers - like 2 or 3 people covers. I would prefer to see Cindy and Stephanie along with Christy for instance, if we are indeed talking about fashion and age.

It would be refreshing. On the other hand, she looks really touched up here: she looks even more robotic than Gwyneth's last cover with the IronMan plug-in.

And I thought that Vogue US had text overload before! The cover is really bad. I dont even like Christy there :wacko: and I dont wanna start on the text issue, because its just wrong.

I have to say that so far just flipping through its a little bit of a snoozer but I do love the Cindy Sherman feature.

Vogue US August 2009

Review:
No Limits
Ph: David Sims
Fashion Editor: Tonne Goodman
Model:: Raquel Zimmerman
Hair: Garren
Makeup: Diane Kendall

Classic Sims. Raquel is his best muse so her expressions are good.

Beauty & Soul

Ph: Alex Majoli
Model:: Christy Turlington

Less a real editorial more of a photonstory following Christy as she shoots her documentary about the perils of motherhood in third world nations.

Age Portfolio

Featuring:Tennis Star Ana Ivanovic (20s), Google exec Marissa Mayer (30s), Screenwriter Jenny Lumet (40s), Artist Cindy Sherman (50s), Diver Anne Doubilet (60s)
Photographers: Annie Liebowitz, Norman Jean Roy & the incomparable Cindy Sherman.

Girls Just Want To Have Fun

Ph: Norman Jean Roy
Model:s: Vanessa Traina & Dree Hemingway

Only 2 pictures - article about them being children of famous women.

She's Come Undone

Ph: Steven Klein
Model:: Karlie Kloss

Photo accompanying beauty story about signs of aging. Which makes the choice of Karlie either moronic or ironic depending on how you look at it.

Portrait of a Dress

Model:: Karlie Kloss

Article about a very pretty summer dress by Milly.

Stretch of the Imagination

Ph: Raymond Meier
Model:: Anna J
Fashion Editor: Elissa Santisi

Short accessories editorial about shoes and stockings.

Other things of interest.
- Hamish Bowles article about retro Model Bettina
- Sea of shoes and her mother Judy in the Index page
- Makeup article featuring top picks from Pat McGrath, Diane Kendall & Fulvia Farolfi
- Girl of the Month, Liya Kebede

Image Credit | Scanned by Me from Vogue US August 09

Last edited by a moderator:
I am really interested in seeing the Cindy Sherman ed. I know I get all gushy whenever she is in a fashion magazine, but I think this is particularly interesting considering the work she has done on people aging disgracefully. This issue is all about looking great at your age, so I am hoping the ed will be an interesting contrast or play on that subject.

Luxx thanks so much for such a detailed review, much appreciated.

I'm not looking forward to this issue based on it, though.I love their Age issues, but this one seems like an epic disappointment. :( But the cover does look a bit better in your scan. :lol:

Thanks for the review and scan Luxx.

Nothing seems to be exciting about this issue.

Thanks for the detailed review, Luxx :flower:

Wow, Klein has been getting a lot of work lately, and his recent work looks less like his normal stuff

I do like the cover more after I've seen it in HQ.

Girls Just Want To Have Fun
Models: Vanessa Traina & Dree Hemingway

Only 2 pictures - article about them being children of famous women.

interesting that they feature vanessa but not victoria...:unsure:

thanks for the review luxx...:flower:
doesn't seem as meaty as last year's age issue (which i really enjoyed)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->