US Vogue August 2009 : Christy Turlington by Steven Klein

I am getting a Valley of the Dolls vibe from the cover, maybe it's her hair that's doing it for me but I do like that Christy is on the cover, I have to see it in person though because somehow the cover slightly doesn't look real.

just happy to see Christy. not trying to pay too much attention to the cover because i already know what we're dealing with.

Well this is a shocker, and in a good way, I love it.
Even though there is a recession, they embrace models.

Maybe their trying to keep their devoted fashion fans, instead of trying to go broader.
Which is risky.

Christy looks like a robotic cyborg Joan Crawford-look-alike (those crazy eyes, those cheekbones!) Stepford Wife who just committed a terrible crime, cleaned herself up, and threw on a fabulous gown and posed in her garden for some society photographer, who she is trying to seduce with her feline cougar expression. And that is why I absolutely LOVEEEEEEEEEE this cover!!!! Definitely my favorite American Vogue cover of the year! It's so unintentionally macabre and creepy that I can't help myself! And the fact that she is so provocatively showing her photoshopped beyond recognition leg only makes things better! Plus, Christy is such a regal presence and it is always nice to her on the cover of magazine. Once again, thanks for the surprise Vogue! This is so much better than anything with the cast of Nine could have ever been! Here's hoping that September is just as fabulously freaky!
thank you. i'm loving the cover now.

by the way, wasn't it christy on the cover of US Vogue's age issue in sex and the city (the movie)?

I'm really happy they used a model on the cover. But American Vogue has been such a snoooze lately. :(

I collect a lot of Vogues from 50's-90's, and I find the layouts to be so much better. Much fresher.

I think Ms. Wintour needs to take things from scratch. The cover would have been so much nicer with only 1 or 2 headlines. Simple is beautiful....:innocent:

^You can't change a magazine from scratch just like that.
There are actual devoted readers who appreciate and love Vogue just the way it is.

And I think for now, Wintour knows those are the people who count.

^ ia. starting from scratch is not something that is ever going to happen with Wintour running Vogue. Not until Vogue hits bankruptcy which I doubt would ever happen. These are the kinds of covers that sell to a mass audience. It's sad but true.

^I completely understand. I would never deny the fact that American Vogue is a major powerhouse.

It's just a matter of personal oppinion and wishful thinking. :flower:

Oh dont worry hun, i've always imagined what Vogue will be like when she is gone.
Somebody will give it a COMPLETE turnover, there is always changes to be made.

I have wishful thinking too, but I simply love the commercial aspect of Vogue.

Ugh, holy text overload. That's the one negative about the cover (well you know my opinion on the cereal box banners :ninja:), but otherwise I love it. It's a nice pose, and I do love Christy.

How long has it been since Christy's last US Vogue cover? Does anyone know?

^ It's been like 7 years, i think.

At least she's a model. I'm not excited about US Vogue Covers anymore. It's always the same crap. :yuk:

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I was thinking the same thing. The cover does not look like something Annie would do AT ALL. It is much too superficial for her. It has either Klein or Meisel written ALL OVER it. What is it with all of these photogs radically altering their styles? First Klein at W with Lara, and now Leibovitz. What can we expect next, Mert and Marcus going grungy and natural and totally firing every single member of their 50-person photoshop team!?!

To me it reminds me of McDean's August 2007 cover of Winona Ryder...definitely in colour.

^Yes, that's what I thought too. Both covers are indeed quite similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->