US Vogue December 2013 : Jessica Chastain by Annie Leibovitz

So... no eds devoted solely to models (or just one if we consider Edie a model). Sad.

It is really getting worst and worst, at least before we got celebrity covers but apart from their feature it was full of models, at this point we are lucky when we have 3 model focused editorials.

I've been hoping that Jessica would get a cover sometime soon, she deserves the praise, and I rather like this cover. I know it's not particularly holiday feeling but in a way I prefer that it's not, sometimes when covers are styled in that way it's a bit much. I love the bright color-scheme and I'm curious about the editorial styled by Grace. Seems like it could be a match made in heaven with those two wonderful gingers!

Flaming June was one of my favorite paintings growing up and this is gorgeous. I think the colors work for a December cover as well. The dress is a rich color, not an airy summer yellow, and the velvet(?) she's lying on is seasonally appropriate as well. This is a striking image and Jessica seems like she would make for an interesting cover story. My favorite US Vogue cover in a long time.

Considering that Vogue isn't a publication devoted solely to the preservation of models I don't really see where they're obligated to feature anyone other than the people they like be they models, actresses, plumbers or florists.

They cater to the interests of their audience and the whims of their editors. I can't see where the magazine is being destroyed by having someone like Chiwetel Ejiofor (who is a lock for a Best Actor nomination at the Oscars) alongside Kate Moss, or having the stars of Game of Thrones and Downton Abbey (arguably two of the biggest shows right now) featured in an jewelry editorial. If anything the move is very strategic and it might serve to get people outside the bubble of fashion interested in buying a copy of the magazine.

I'm glad Chastain got a cover, though this could have been executed in a different manner. Also this is a big month for Anton Corbijn it seems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I mean to mention, I can't wait to see "Dressing Like The Dickens" and "The Silk Road". Sounds like an enjoyable issue, to me.

Even though I think her pose/body position is slightly awkward, I think it's a beautiful cover. Annie's romantic style really works with Jessica. The colour combination of the dress, her hair and the water is really beautiful.

I won't repeat what has been said but I love Jessica and I think she can photograph very well, so I'll just wait to see the editorial before judging. The preview looks pretty

The combo of Vogue + celebrity + Annie Leibovitz leaves me a little dead inside but I do like Jessica Chastain as an artist - so kudos to her.

The cover is breath taking....the dress - the color and the texture....

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the cover subject but she is much much more beautiful than this image allows her to be.

The cover would look more rich and festive if the ocean blue wasn't present. I assume that was added on, unless Vogue set up a lump of deep red velvet in front of the ocean for the photoshoot.

Sometimes I think the formula for US Vogue covers is: "If in doubt about the background, just put them in front of the sea".

Or as you point out, it's probably more a case of putting the sea in as a photoshop afterthought.

But if they can't pose the celebrity in front of the ocean, they just stick them in a field instead.

love the colours though the shadow on the masthead makes it look weird

I'm happy for Jessica, she looks great. The pose is tad awkward, I just wish it was softer I think it's more of summer cover rather than a fall/winter kind of cover.

#7 - The Sweetest Season (4 pg)
PH: Eric Boman
Style: None
Model: A bunch of Oranges

#9 - Bling Rings (8 pg)
PH: Patrick Demarchelier
Style: Tabitha Simmons
Models/Celebs: Pixie Geldof, Adwoa Aboah, Jourdan Dunn, Arizona Muse, Georgia May Jagger, Tao Okamoto, Sophie Turner, Lily James

The bunch of oranges made me giggle :lol:

BTW, will that be Sophie Turner from Game Of Thrones or is there a high fashion model by the same name?

Am I the only one who finds the cover utterly awful?

Its like a joke. It looks fan made. Compare this to Nicole Kidman's Dec 2006, Penelope Cruz's 2007, Cate Blanchett's 2009 or Charlize's Dec 2011, this is revolting and an utter disappointment.

Dressing Like The Dickens
Potographer:
Tim Walker
Stylist: Grace Coddington
Model: Edie Campbell
Make-Up: Stephane Marais
Hair: Julien d'Ys

fashionscansremastered.net

That's a really cool ed with a great mood! The 4th shot is really interesting and beautiful to look at! Edie is perfect at portraying any characters, she looks beautiful here! :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->