US Vogue June 2019 : Zendaya by Tyler Mitchell

Celeb doesn't work, makeup doesn't work, photographer doesn't work. Underwhelming cover.

I like Zendaya, but I do wonder how she managed to get two covers so soon and to this day, Zoe Saldana and Kerry Washington still have zero!

I prefer the work of Jamie. It’s sad that he only has one cover. Tyler is so bas

I like Zendaya a lot, she's fun, stylish, clever and I think she's a good example for young girls. The cover is beautiful but not perfect: I wish she was wearing more make up and her expression was more relaxed. Otherwise I like it.

She's more popular and she's 22.
Washington and Saldana at their peaks were more popular than Zendaya currently is, surely? The former was on Scandal and the latter has three franchises (Avatar, Guardians of the Galaxy and Star Trek) under her belt!

Washington and Saldana at their peaks were more popular than Zendaya currently is, surely? The former was on Scandal and the latter has three franchises (Avatar, Guardians of the Galaxy and Star Trek) under her belt!

No, Zendaya is huge, especially since Spiderman and The Greatest Showman. Kids / young adults love her. She's massive on social media - her selfies can gather 6 million likes. And her Tommy x Zendaya collection sold really well even though it wasn't exactly cheap. She ticks all the right boxes, especially that Anna has been targeting millennials lately.

I will put it simply - if you watch Vogue's "Zendaya Does 100 Years of Beauty" video and compare it to this, you can clearly see that this cover is trash, Camilla Nickerson has to find some new inspiration source and Tyler Mitchell should spend some time assisting M&M, Meisel or Sims to get some basic knowledge about technical and production sides of photography. I am sure Vogue can afford to pay for all his potential ideas about production.

No, Zendaya is huge, especially since Spiderman and The Greatest Showman. Kids / young adults love her. She's massive on social media - her selfies can gather 6 million likes. And her Tommy x Zendaya collection sold really well even though it wasn't exactly cheap. She ticks all the right boxes, especially that Anna has been targeting millennials lately.

Exactly. It's all about sales. Beiber, Kardashians, and then the boring celebrities you can tell she favors (think British woman and Barbie blondes). When's the last time we saw a solo model on the cover of Vogue US? I'm thinking about 5 years ago. Because they mean lower sales.

Anna's trying to be more diverse, but nobody said she's good at it.

Zendaya is a great choice, but then you put her in this very white washed and generic retro styling -- gross.

Exactly. It's all about sales. Beiber, Kardashians, and then the boring celebrities you can tell she favors (think British woman and Barbie blondes). When's the last time we saw a solo model on the cover of Vogue US? I'm thinking about 5 years ago. Because they mean lower sales.

Gisele was on cover last June, but won't blame u for forgetting it, cause it was dull

Gisele was on cover last June, but won't blame u for forgetting it, cause it was dull

Ah, thanks, you're right had forgotten.

Also more for her celebrity status and timing of her husband in the Super Bowl in February.

Anna is truly unbelievable. Has zero artistic vision these days. Puts the same people on the cover annually.

To be fair, she has been repeating her favorite cover stars since the late 90s and not giving many great models and actresses a chance. But the artistic value of the magazine was certainly higher, can't argue with that.

Review (152 pages:(

Put It In Print (15 pages)
Photographer: Oliver Hadlee Pearch
Stylist: Carlos Nazario
Models: Kendall Jenner & Vittoria Ceretti

Breaking Free (10 pages)
Photographer: Tyler Mitchell
Stylist: Camilla Nickerson
Celeb: Zendaya

The Man Who Styled The World (4 pages)
Virgil Abloh article
Photographer: Anton Corbijn
Cast: Virgil Abloh

Pier Pressure (12 pages)
Photographer: Angelo Pennetta
Stylist: Alex Harrington
Models: Fran Summers & Adut Akech

+

Pete Buttigieg by Ethan James Green (4 pages)

&

Broadway’s New Stars (6 pages)
By Anton Corbijn & Alexandra Cronan + Annie Leibovitz & Phyllis Posnick

Zendaya, Kendall, Virgil, Tyler Mitchell....people getting massive opportunities thrown at them, but consistently comes up mediocre. Well, at least the first two are improving. Somewhat!
I'm only keen to see what the styling looks like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hugsrat
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"