US Vogue March 2023 : Erykah Badu by Jamie Hawkesworth

The cover is fine, surprise than Erykah getting the cover. The spread is pretty, but how miss the whole glamour of the cover story from US Vogue.

Only we can expect that from Edward's and we need to wait a bit more to see what he coocked for March. Waiting for Meisel magic (and I don't care if it's studio again, at least is glamorous).

Didn't we establish it's Rihanna and the fam? Adjust your expectations, we're in for another glamour-less month.

Wow. What a wonderful surprise to see Erykah on the cover. She's an incredible artist, who I've always loved, despite some questionable quotes over the years. However, I can only imagine what a cover by Mert and Marcus in their prime (who shot her perfectly for the 'Black Orchid'/TF perfume ad), 13 years ago, when she released her 'New Amerykah Part 2' album would have looked, with Camilla/Tonne on styling duties.

It's still an interesting portrait and kind of powerful in a way, but the coat looks totally unappealing and as I've said before, I find Jamie a bit past it now, sadly. US Vogue seems to ironically now be the one print venue that is complete depleted of glamour.

Color me SHOCKED. And in a good way. I remember seeing Erykah Badu in concert in San Francisco waaaaay back in ‘97, and was not only in awe of her musical talents, but of her individual fashion sense. Really looking forward to receiving my issue in the mail!

What kind of stuff did she said? Some Brie Larson/Jennifer Lawrence type of comments or worse?

Honestly, the cover is not so good, it's quite unflattering, the angles are not good, the light is not good. It's not an happy cover or glamorous cover... And i agree : it's time to bring Testino back !! (but i agree with you, it won't be in this life...)
If they're looking for sales, this was not the cover to go with.

What kind of stuff did she said? Some Brie Larson/Jennifer Lawrence type of comments or worse?

Really cringey things about that controversial German dictator. Google it.

Anyway, good PR moment for Vogue. Everyone seems pleasantly shocked and the cover is getting a lot of praise.
Also, because it's Erykah who isn't considered an industry favourite or never known to 'play the game', Vogue benefits from a degree of authenticity purely by association. Erykah in turn gets the seal of approval that I used to think she'd never care for, but clearly she does.
Quite masterful actually.

I'm glad that Erykah allowed the Vogue team to do their job instead of steamrolling in with styling/photography demands like the insufferable Beyonce, Zendaya and the other Law Roach girls who quite frankly should never appear on American Vogue covers again.

Really cringey things about that controversial German dictator. Google it.

Anyway, good PR moment for Vogue. Everyone seems pleasantly shocked and the cover is getting a lot of praise.
Also, because it's Erykah who isn't considered an industry favourite or never known to 'play the game', Vogue benefits from a degree of authenticity purely by association. Erykah in turn gets the seal of approval that I used to think she'd never care for, but clearly she does.
Quite masterful actually.

I'm glad that Erykah allowed the Vogue team to do their job instead of steamrolling in with styling/photography demands like the insufferable Beyonce, Zendaya and the other Law Roach girls who quite frankly should never appear on American Vogue covers again.
Oh, didn't knew that. In Argentina she is almost unknown, but in the early 2000s some of her songs were on the radio and MTV. There was an interesting generation of young female singers at the time like Alicia Keys (another beauty that deserves more love from fashion editors), Lauryn Hill and Macy Gray, no autotune or plastic stuff. Beautiful era for music and youth. Miss those times so bad.

Oh, didn't knew that. In Argentina she is almost unknown, but in the early 2000s some of her songs were on the radio and MTV. There was an interesting generation of young female singers at the time like Alicia Keys (another beauty that deserves more love from fashion editors), Lauryn Hill and Macy Gray, no autotune or plastic stuff. Beautiful era for music and youth. Miss those times so bad.

Alicia appeared on US Bazaar, Elle, Allure, and Marie Claire thanks to her fashion connections. I think she even got covers in the UK.
The others not so much. They don't have any ties to the fashion and beauty industry.

Its a coincidence that I was opening this thread then 'Afro Blue' by her came on. The editorial would have been more experimental like her style but I guess Anna also has to think of the American Vogue reader. For those saying they dont know whos he is, here's a sample.

Last edited:
Alicia appeared on US Bazaar, Elle, Allure, and Marie Claire thanks to her fashion connections. I think she even got covers in the UK.
The others not so much. They don't have any ties to the fashion and beauty industry.

Lauryn made a Bazaar appearance and was on other covers like Rolling Stone, The Face,Time and other magazines mostly geared towards black audiences. Quite shocking since she was one of the biggest artistes and trendsetters in the 90s who also photographed quite well, should have at least gotten ELLE. Not surprising though considering Angella Bassette, Whitney Houston, Janet Jackson and many more never got that many if any mainstream fashion mags.

2e96690240b473f7bb5d56760a759ef2.jpg
1*ERj9mhVIuTwM6VOunE8Bhg.jpeg

medium / archivealive

What a surprise. Lovely, simple and clean.

There may still be hope for Mariah Carey…

Lauryn made a Bazaar appearance and was on other covers like Rolling Stone, The Face,Time and other magazines mostly geared towards black audiences. Quite shocking since she was one of the biggest artistes and trendsetters in the 90s who also photographed quite well, should have at least gotten ELLE. Not surprising though considering Angella Bassette, Whitney Houston, Janet Jackson and many more never got that many if any mainstream fashion mags.

medium / archivealive

I don't even remember this Harper's Bazaar cover! Will look it up in the vintage forum, maybe Justaguy uploaded scans.

Yes, also remembering Alicia doing Givenchy ads, but she never got a Vogue cover. Vogue was the real thing. You got a cover, you really made it. Of course it doesn't have the same meaning now. And Lauryn, wish she stayed. She was above some pop divas of her time. These girls eat Beyonce and Adele as singers. I remember also Toni Braxton. I mean, those voices shaped a generation and Anna ignored them, even during the celeb current era of Vogue.

Yes, also remembering Alicia doing Givenchy ads, but she never got a Vogue cover. Vogue was the real thing. You got a cover, you really made it. Of course it doesn't have the same meaning now. And Lauryn, wish she stayed. She was above some pop divas of her time. These girls eat Beyonce and Adele as singers. I remember also Toni Braxton. I mean, those voices shaped a generation and Anna ignored them, even during the celeb current era of Vogue.

It was a very different time and half of singers today only got their covers thanks to hype, follower count and designer ties. Back in the day, these women didn't have all that so they got editorials or articles. Or they covered other magazines that recognised their worth.

Totally surprised byt this....better late than never....but Anna should look to old print issues of Porter magazine to master that natural style and still deliver glamour and style without compromising anything....but it's well deserved To this great musician...

Remember back in the days only Madonna, got Vogue covers Mariah, Janet, Paula,Whitney, Toni, even girl groups like En Vogue etc were ignored...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliburum
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->