• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

US Vogue May 2005 : Liya Kebede by Steven Meisel

Oh my Wintour!! Please, get some Moets, we gotta celebrrrrate this!! A model on a US Vogue cover!! It is like finding a Hollywood-Botox-Queen on the cover of Vogue Paris...
No, bad joke. I mean, do you think Anna & Assistants took maybe a look to our thread "Tell Anna Wintour how to Revamp Vogue America"... If it was so... I am soooo lucky!!

I agree with Model Mom. She wouldn't have made the cover if it weren't for her appointment. By getting the UN appointment she has been made into a celebrity. And since celebrities get the cover.... There's no reason a model can't be a celebrity, it's just that few models really engage in anything but modelling (aside from hobbies/education which us regular people do day to day) and so they don't become celebrities. So, if we want more models on covers, we should be encouraging them to step up to the celebrity plate and do something beyond looking pretty (tongue in cheek. Not meaning to be mean).

Also, yes Liya looks lovely... But it looks the same style as any celebrity cover. I don't really see the cover as using her talents as a model.

Last edited by a moderator:
ntrlytanned doll said:
It's a celebration of a model being on the cover aswell as her being a woman of color.
This cover has nothing to do with models or women of color and everything to do with Liya's Estee Lauder contract and Vogue trying to score points with them. It's just one big Estee Lauder credit disguised as the 'celebration' of a humanitarian effort. And the Chanel Haute Couture dress fits in perfectly with this month's retrospective at the Met. Aerin Lauder's happy. Karl's happy. The Met people are happy. Don't be fooled into thinking that this isn't one of Vogue's most commercial covers of the year.

*tinkerbell* said:
Apparently Wintour wants to feature more real models on the cover of Vogue from now on to try and set it apart from the rest of the "celebrity obsessed" magazines.

too bad a celeb will be back on the cover in june...

I think the glory of having a model on the cover is that you can do something exciting with it (like Italian Vogue, French Vogue, etc..). This cover is as bland as any actresses'. She's just sitting there. Sure's she is pretty but there isn't anything that sets this cover apart from the celebrity covers.

metal-on-metal said:
This cover has nothing to do with models or women of color and everything to do with Liya's Estee Lauder contract and Vogue trying to score points with them. It's just one big Estee Lauder credit disguised as the 'celebration' of a humanitarian effort. And the Chanel Haute Couture dress fits in perfectly with this month's retrospective at the Met. Aerin Lauder's happy. Karl's happy. The Met people are happy. Don't be fooled into thinking that this isn't one of Vogue's most commercial covers of the year.

Don't get me wrong I know that this is a commercial cover, but then again Don't you think every vouge cover is commercial? They have the most popular celebs on the cover when there aren't models on it. Do you think that they'd put anyone on their cover, no certainly not they want people that are going to sell their magazine's. I know that you said that it's one big Estee Lauder credit disguised as the 'celebration' of a humanitarian effort. And the Chanel Haute Couture dress fits in, well Estee Lauder is paying them big bucks to have their ads in vouge. I know that that's sad, but this is just how it is in show business, and I feel that if this magazine sells well, it would be like a light bulb for them, maybe they'd say, " that may 05 issue was the best selling magazine this year maybe we should put more models as well as women of color on it"

metal-on-metal said:

I'd never thought of that! Thanks so much for making this point succintly! I <3 the elegance of the breakdown. :flower:

Wow, I just spent 10 minutes looking through this thread thinking it was the newest May 07 issue :doh: No such luck. I thought I looked familiar....:blush:

cover posted in this thread is an OLD COVER of LIya:(
so i'm not jumping up and down just yet ...does anybody have the new cover?

^For a minute I thought it said MAY 2007 as well, alas to bad :(

The Chanel Century
Lily Donaldson
Ph.Steven Meisel

scanned by me

Be cool
Gemma Ward,Lisa Cant,Daria Werbowy,Caroline Trentini,Karen Elson,Liya Kebede(I don't have Liya's pic.)
ph.Steven Meisel

scanned by me

Hot Town
Gemma Ward
ph.MarioTestino

scanned by me

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member