US Vogue September 2023 : Linda, Cindy, Christy & Naomi by Rafael Pavarotti

Such a shame that the art direction is lacking big time.

The comments about the retouching made me smile because having worked with one of them, she had her retouching notes applied right away on set by the retouchers so we never even saw the raw version of the images... Guess that then they had to match for the rest of them...

Great to see them back together no matter what, they'll always be icons.

I'm sorry to say this, but this is such an awful spread. Each of them looks inanimate. It was sad to hear Linda talk about those whom they've lost, because Peter Lindbergh or Patrick Demarchelier could have created something so magical with this cast, with Liz Tilberis directing it. In an ideal world, this would have been styled by Tonne Goodman and lensed by Lindbergh. Just imagine...

Can't wait to see the collectors I follow on IG sharing both magazines back to back. I would like to buying both but it's so impossible to bring American and British Vogue here because the timing and taxes. Creepy or not is a collectable item. We know after this will be business as usual, so let's enjoy the moment. Make miss the Testino and Meisel model group covers. This one and May (with other legends as Shalom and Amber) were the long waited subjects of so many. My personal subject is McMenamy, but she won't made it to Anna. Gisele and Kate has more chances to cover US Vogue again.

You guys, it's bad. Bringing the supers back together and doing that with them, is almost worse than not having them at all.

They talk so much about the iconic Lindbergh cover that sort of started it all, and then giving us this lackluster thing.
Everything is flat as f**k, from their faces to the background.

I certainly wouldn't want to see an attempt of recreating said cover, but a reference at least;
Shooting on location in NYC would be miles better.

Still about "how about this model and this model and where is this model?" This is a tight group of models called "The Big Five" and the only one that could cover for Tatjana is Stephanie who was the unofficial 6th member. If you want Claudia, she should have a solo cover or a cover with ten to twelve models from the same era, but not just with these four.

Still about "how about this model and this model and where is this model?" This is a tight group of models called "The Big Five" and the only one that could cover for Tatjana is Stephanie who was the unofficial 6th member. If you want Claudia, she should have a solo cover or a cover with ten to twelve models from the same era, but not just with these four.
I prefer her alone. ( Camilla Akrans )

From the picture it looks like this issue will be slightly thicker than last year Sept issue.. so probably around 390 pages? or if we're lucky we'll hit 400 pages mark.

From the picture it looks like this issue will be slightly thicker than last year Sept issue.. so probably around 390 pages? or if we're lucky we'll hit 400 pages mark.

I do believe you. The 121 pages was just an Amazon posting I saw but clearly not accurate compare to what is posted the other day. Hope it's more than 300 pages and if it is maybe they're slowly climbing back to what a September issue should look like, thick and heavy.

I agree that the pictures and the styling are terrible and the cover should have been shot by a more established photographer but let’s not make this racial and say this photographer was hired “because of diversity” simply because he’s black. He obviously has made a career for himself in the fashion world, he did something right to get where he is — he just was not the right photographer for this shoot.

I do not understand why they would choose such a talentless photographer (surely because of "diversity", being black/young/etc. This would have been perfect with Meisel. Or even better a naturalistic approach (after Peter Lindbergh 90s cover) with Annemarieke van Drimmelen, Zoe Ghertner, Lachlan Bailey, Jamie Hawkesworth, etc etc. This is AI generated, soulless and sad. If only they could bring back Bruce Weber and stop with the annoying political correctness.

This cover is bad!! And I wouldn’t buy it Considering the talent involved here!! Some good shoots in the edit but the cover is the worst for me!! They could’ve done something better with this!! The photographer choice wasn’t the best and even then he’s done better for his other shoots, I get they wanted to showcase the supers through todays lense but they could’ve done better.

Love the interview however that was actually the highlight for me!! Looking forward to the documentary!!

View attachment 1234313
vogue

They think they're clever for wearing sunglasses while smiling through their gritted teeth. :tearsofjoy:

I propose this theme for next week's cover challenge.

One more thing about this photo: I noticed from the BTS video that Edward was wearing optical glasses instead of sunglasses when the photo was taken. Why do they post-edit to sunglasses in the end?

The cover try posted above looks ok, but very generic in a Women’s Weekly way. Between this and the final choice, I prefer the final choice.

I find Rafael Pavarotti completely talentless and his come up is almost entirely driven by favouritism. Without Edward, I doubt he’d ever shoot a US Vogue cover and this shoot clearly illustrates why. It’s just so extremely mediocre when compared next to the bunch of new photographers who have been shooting US Vogue covers. The likes of Ethan, Théo, Nadine, and Colin - their work may not be for everyone but at least they bring something different to the magazine.

One more thing about this photo: I noticed from the BTS video that Edward was wearing optical glasses instead of sunglasses when the photo was taken. Why do they post-edit to sunglasses in the end?

Now that he's "global", he has to wear sunglasses indoors.

I find Rafael Pavarotti completely talentless and his come up is almost entirely driven by favouritism. Without Edward, I doubt he’d ever shoot a US Vogue cover and this shoot clearly illustrates why. It’s just so extremely mediocre when compared next to the bunch of new photographers who have been shooting US Vogue covers. The likes of Ethan, Théo, Nadine, and Colin - their work may not be for everyone but at least they bring something different to the magazine.

Agreed! Of the new photographers, Rafael is my least favourite. His work is always over-saturated and the post-production is too much. He goes well with Ib because his styling needs that kind of photography.

If you want HF, beauty and something a bit more "commercial", he is definitely not the guy to hire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redspot
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->