V#28 Spring 2004 : Janet Jackson by Inez Van Lamsweerde & Vinoodh Matadin

CaptainJackSparrow

El Capitán
Reaction score
i can't tell for sure but i think her arms are covered in fur and she's holding them over her head

OMG I'M SO IN LOVE :heart: :shock:

i think she is wearing a black gucci marabou shrug from spring/summer 2004

Awww janet

She does look great :smile:

I think the V would have looked nicer if it was done up in chrome or something not that flashy

lol i briefly thought she had a GINORMOUS wig-afro thingy on. haha!

V has become a terrible disappointment in the past year or two. What started out as a promising independent european-style fashion magazine has become a main stream pouseur. Stephen Gan can and should do way better than that.

I can't say I ever liked V. Their cover design has always been weak.
I went to a design seminar last summer (?) where the speakers were the "it" people in the art world. Designers, illustrators, cinematographers and the publisher of Visionaire and V was there.
Surrounded by all these strong creative individuals...she seemed as bland as V.

Originally posted by Sugo@Feb 25th, 2004 - 11:23 am
Actually, I think cover design is the one thing that recent V issues have had going for them. The Linda Evangelista cover last month was so powerful and beautiful. I loved it! This Janet cover is pretty cool as well.

It's pretty obvious that V is trying to move slightly to a more mainstream audience, especially with last September's Beyonce cover and now this Janet one. However, I don't think we should chastise them for doing this. This isn't the year 2000 and V can't keep endlessly churning out edgy material. This is not a good time for publishing and certainly not a good time for fashion. V needs readers, advertisers, clients, etc. and they cannot survive on being what they once were. Look at magazines like Dutch and The Fashion. . . how long were they around? 6 months to 2 years at the max!

Also, I wish to pose a question: when was the last time you saw ANY major fashion magazine put a black model/actress on a major September or March issue? These are the biggest issues of the year for any fashion magazine and I think it is extremely admirable for V to continue promoting diversity in the world of fashion.

I rarely ever care about the covers to be honest. What's important is the content and frankly the content of V hasn't been superb. As for JJ,that's fine with me because V isn't like a Purple or Self Service in that it is and always had a slight mainstream appeal compared to those.

Originally posted by chickonspeed@Feb 25th, 2004 - 11:03 am
It's pretty obvious that V is trying to move slightly to a more mainstream audience, especially with last September's Beyonce cover and now this Janet one. However, I don't think we should chastise them for doing this. This isn't the year 2000 and V can't keep endlessly churning out edgy material. This is not a good time for publishing and certainly not a good time for fashion. V needs readers, advertisers, clients, etc. and they cannot survive on being what they once were. Look at magazines like Dutch and The Fashion. . . how long were they around? 6 months to 2 years at the max!
You have a point, of course. However, it doesn't make V any less boring in my eyes :rolleyes:

There are other magazines, such as Purple that's been doing an excellent job of being different and staying afloat. Also, i-D, is certainly no mainstream mag, and it's extremely popular.

It's different anyway, double take kinda deal and almost shocking to see someone on a cover who is actually 'covered up'.

Originally posted by chickonspeed+Feb 25th, 2004 - 11:03 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chickonspeed @ Feb 25th, 2004 - 11:03 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Sugo@Feb 25th, 2004 - 11:23 am
Actually, I think cover design is the one thing that recent V issues have had going for them. The Linda Evangelista cover last month was so powerful and beautiful. I loved it! This Janet cover is pretty cool as well.

Also, I wish to pose a question: when was the last time you saw ANY major fashion magazine put a black model/actress on a major September or March issue? These are the biggest issues of the year for any fashion magazine and I think it is extremely admirable for V to continue promoting diversity in the world of fashion. [/b][/quote]
That was so well put that, even though th whole V-posse are a bunch of rude and nasty people and I have no interest in seeing them succeed, I have to agree with you. They've got to head toward the mainstream in order to survive in the tough economy... B)
putting janet on the cover was smart from a business point of view...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->