V#28 Spring 2004 : Janet Jackson by Inez Van Lamsweerde & Vinoodh Matadin

Originally posted by oceanharlot@Feb 25th, 2004 - 4:52 am
lol i briefly thought she had a GINORMOUS wig-afro thingy on. haha!
:lol: :lol: so did I ...

softgrey,

Please explain your encounters with the rude V posse. I'm very curious! We can move this to the Gossip board if need be! haha! :lol:

Originally posted by chickonspeed@Feb 25th, 2004 - 6:00 pm
softgrey,

Please explain your encounters with the rude V posse. I'm very curious! We can move this to the Gossip board if need be! haha! :lol:
believe me, I'd like nothing more than to rant about cecelia dean et al, but today's a bad day...very little sleep has made me groggy and given me an upset stomach... :yuk:

as me again later and I'll spill my guts :innocent: :kiss:

Yes! Do tell,please. Even Alix Browne? I know I noticed they're a bit arrogant when I read a quote from one of the other threads which Alix explained that almost everybody at the magazine went to good schools(read:rich b*tch academies etc).

Originally posted by Scott@Feb 25th, 2004 - 6:14 pm
Yes! Do tell,please. Even Alix Browne? I know I noticed they're a bit arrogant when I read a quote from one of the other threads which Alix explained that almost everybody at the magazine went to good schools(read:rich b*tch academies etc).
yes-it's true...rather sickening actually :sick: ...i'm already feeling sick, but i promise to tell later... :flower:

Originally posted by chickonspeed+Feb 25th, 2004 - 11:03 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chickonspeed @ Feb 25th, 2004 - 11:03 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Sugo@Feb 25th, 2004 - 11:23 am
I can't say I ever liked V. Their cover design has always been weak.
Actually, I think cover design is the one thing that recent V issues have had going for them. The Linda Evangelista cover last month was so powerful and beautiful. I loved it! This Janet cover is pretty cool as well.

It's pretty obvious that V is trying to move slightly to a more mainstream audience, especially with last September's Beyonce cover and now this Janet one. However, I don't think we should chastise them for doing this. This isn't the year 2000 and V can't keep endlessly churning out edgy material. This is not a good time for publishing and certainly not a good time for fashion. V needs readers, advertisers, clients, etc. and they cannot survive on being what they once were. Look at magazines like Dutch and The Fashion. . . how long were they around? 6 months to 2 years at the max!

Also, I wish to pose a question: when was the last time you saw ANY major fashion magazine put a black model/actress on a major September or March issue? These are the biggest issues of the year for any fashion magazine and I think it is extremely admirable for V to continue promoting diversity in the world of fashion. [/b][/quote]
Very well said.

The thing that bugs me the most is that some people simply don't like the cover because it's Janet who's on it. I mean, I can probably bet that if it were a model on the cover, or an actress like Angelina Jolie (who most of us love), the opinions about it would be drastically different. Its almost like a "Jacksonism". People are so quick to judge Janet as a person before they judge the actual cover. I mean, there's always this connection with the history of Michael and the Jackson Family, plastic surgery (which Janet has had very few of, contrary to popular belief), and now the fact that she showed her nipple on TV. Its a shame. Not to say ALL people don't like the cover for this reason, but based on all the Janet topics on this board, i can't help thinking that.

I try and challenge this view by saying that i'm just Biased. I've met Janet several times and she has been NOTHING, but sweet, generous, classy, and humble. "Perhaps that's why i like the cover so much? ", is ask. But then i remember, there are several janet covers i haven't been a fan of. Also, after imagining other artists and models on the cover (even britney :unsure: ), i found myself enjoying the cover just as much. Its playful, and fun--far from boring. Compared to other magazine covers, this is funky and carefree. I just love it. Quite a collectors item IMO.

Originally posted by strawberry daiquiri@Feb 25th, 2004 - 4:26 pm
It's different anyway, double take kinda deal and almost shocking to see someone on a cover who is actually 'covered up'.
That's about the nicest thing I could imagine anyone could say about this cover. Otherwise :sick: .

Originally posted by CaptainJackSparrow@Feb 25th, 2004 - 5:14 pm

The thing that bugs me the most is that some people simply don't like the cover because it's Janet who's on it. I mean, I can probably bet that if it were a model on the cover, or an actress like Angelina Jolie (who most of us love), the opinions about it would be drastically different. Its almost like a "Jacksonism". People are so quick to judge Janet as a person before they judge the actual cover. I mean, there's always this connection with the history of Michael and the Jackson Family, plastic surgery (which Janet has had very few of, contrary to popular belief), and now the fact that she showed her nipple on TV. Its a shame.
I woldn't liek the cover eitehr way, im not judging any one.

I dount liek the cover, i dount leik that V is elling out trying to be comercial and I dount liek Janet jackson becuas she boring in my opinion, so shoot me :innocent:

I have nothing personal against JJ,I'm just not a fan of hers at least not since I was 12. And like I said before,covers really don't grab my attention as much as the content itself especially mags as such. So it doesn't matter either way.

Softgrey* waiting patiently and I hope you feel better :wink:

Originally posted by Scott@Feb 26th, 2004 - 12:35 am
I have nothing personal against JJ,I'm just not a fan of hers at least not since I was 12. And like I said before,covers really don't grab my attention as much as the content itself especially mags as such. So it doesn't matter either way.

Softgrey* waiting patiently and I hope you feel better :wink:
ohay-i'm feeling better enough to realize that I've probably made this sound bigger than it is... I just go to industry functions, parties, gallery openings, events, etc...

It's part of your job to network and support others, so you do a lot of events after hours. I have been introduced to Cecelia Dean and James Kaliardos-and re-introduced and re-introduced...she-especially, always acts like she has no idea who i am. it's a very small world and rather incestuous, you run into th same people over and over again, so she obviously is just being a b*tch...

it's not uncommon, really, I just find it unnecessary. You'd think they'd have been brought up with better manners... :innocent: :flower:

Originally posted by softgrey+Feb 25th, 2004 - 4:36 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(softgrey @ Feb 25th, 2004 - 4:36 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by chickonspeed@Feb 25th, 2004 - 11:03 am
<!--QuoteBegin-Sugo
@Feb 25th, 2004 - 11:23 am
I can't say I ever liked V.  Their cover design has always been weak.

Actually, I think cover design is the one thing that recent V issues have had going for them. The Linda Evangelista cover last month was so powerful and beautiful. I loved it! This Janet cover is pretty cool as well.

It's pretty obvious that V is trying to move slightly to a more mainstream audience, especially with last September's Beyonce cover and now this Janet one. However, I don't think we should chastise them for doing this. This isn't the year 2000 and V can't keep endlessly churning out edgy material. This is not a good time for publishing and certainly not a good time for fashion. V needs readers, advertisers, clients, etc. and they cannot survive on being what they once were. Look at magazines like Dutch and The Fashion. . . how long were they around? 6 months to 2 years at the max!

Also, I wish to pose a question: when was the last time you saw ANY major fashion magazine put a black model/actress on a major September or March issue? These are the biggest issues of the year for any fashion magazine and I think it is extremely admirable for V to continue promoting diversity in the world of fashion.
That was so well put that, even though th whole V-posse are a bunch of rude and nasty people and I have no interest in seeing them succeed, I have to agree with you. They've got to head toward the mainstream in order to survive in the tough economy... B)
putting janet on the cover was smart from a business point of view...[/b][/quote]
Manners, heh :wink: Well, I'm happy to see another romantic in the world of poop :flower: :heart:

it's cute..they whole without arms idea is abit wierd but it does attrakt attention which is wat they aimed for..

Originally posted by Ärtan@Feb 25th, 2004 - 1:29 pm
No. I don't like it at all. Too..plastic..
it's not too bad - a bit plastic I suppose
but I guess I'm biased because I don't like v

Fun! I like it! The "V" could have used some work though. :blink:
CaptainJackSparrow, I like it better in your avatar. :P Still very cute. It definately gets your attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->